“A grand old hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Stresa
London, United Kingdom
“A grand old hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We loved our week here, although we've never been photographed by so many tourists while sitting on a hotel balcony - this place is seriously photogenic. If your taste runs to marble, stained glass, potted palms and marquetry doors, this is the place for you. It's a truly beautiful environment, with slick, professional, friendly staff, and the housekeeping of our third-floor, lake-view room was exceptional. Breakfast, with its whole leg of parma ham and side of smoked salmon to help yourself to, was outstanding, with an excellent selection of gluten-free items on request. We only ate dinner once in the restaurant, which we felt was rather overpriced, but breakfast alone kept us going for most of the rest of the day. Our only gripes concerned the lack of WiFi in the rooms; an iron and some sort of tea/coffee making equipment would also have been welcome. But we enjoyed using such a beautiful place as our base to explore Stresa: it was a privilege to stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
Claremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Our stay at this hotel was very enjoyable. Our room was very comfortable and the decor felt like old European. I loved the location of our room which was on the third floor overlooking the lake. We were on a walking trip and did not spend a lot of time at the hotel but found it to be enjoyable while we were there. My main complaint is that they charge for internet access. For the prices they charge, it should be included. You can sit near the reception desk and get free wifi but nowhere else. The meals in the dining room were delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is amazing expensive but worth it the views were amazing staff were very hostile people kept taking pictures of the hotel witch was kool. I would defo go again. Great things to do pool quite cold though gardens good not a lot of kids but they love them amazing view of the island. Oh and this really kool kinda water show happens every hour with lights going up representing each country and a little song. Gardens good. Quite a lot of famouse people stayed there
.george collney
.queens sister
Etc

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

The building is extremely grand, living up to its name, with wonderful interiors and our room was very well appointed. Staff were generally very helpful. We only had breakfasts, the dinners appeared to be a bit pricey, and these were ok, nothing special. One gripe, wifi was not free and at €7 for a reasonable speed, not cheap. A hotel of this stature should be offering free wifi in my opinion.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My favorite hotels are kind of old-fashioned. But this place was a little bit past it's prime in a not-good way. Both the hotel and the surrounding area. It obviously used to be really happening, but it's not now. My companion compared the area to the Catskills. Now that air travel is cheap, why would you go to nearby mountains in the summer if you can fly from Milan to a beach? We were there off-season, but we knew that and my comments are taking this into consideration.

That said, it was still very nice. The grounds are very nice and the location was good. The room was nice, but not spectacular. We had bad luck with the weather and I would definitely return to explore the area a little more if given the opportunity. And I would probably choose to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The structure and the grounds are impressive and are located very close to the island ferries. The view of the lake from our balcony was really special, and the bathroom was well-equipped. As charming as the surroundings were, the inside of the hotel felt more outdated than it did classic. I'm not and expert on art nouveau, but there seem to be two ways people do it: the really right way, and the kinda-looks-a-little-forced-way, and the interiors here inched closer to the latter. I definitely noticed some peculiar decorative choices, particularly in the hallways, but also in the rooms and common areas. The place could use a revamp, but it was a very relaxing stay nonetheless.

On a side note, I had forgotten my credit card at a nearby restaurant the night before (blame the Barbera) which I only noticed once I was at the check-out desk. Once I explained I would have to get my card ten minutes away in order to pay, I was told I couldn't leave until I paid, which I guess was their way of telling me I looked like a flight risk. Didn't love that.

Moral of the story: don't forget your card around town, and, if you do, brush your hair before check-out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed here for a romantic weekend. It's a first class hotel on the banks of Lake Maggiore, with fabulous grounds, views and location. The staff are really helpful and friendly, providing plenty of suggestions for sights to see, places to eat and things to do. Our room was well appointed and comfy and even though we didn't pay the premium, we were still overlooking the lake - even though it was from the side. The breakfast bar was well stocked - one thing we liked was that my wife's dietary requirements (she has a gluten allergy) were more than catered for and there was even a special section on the menu with gluten-free options. The hotel looks like it's had a good makeover and on the whole we thought that is a very special place for a couple of days away together. The only thing which I found annoying was the cost of drinks from the bar, which were eye watering - 44 euro for two coffees and two G&Ts - you need a drink when you get the bill!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees? Share your experiences!