“Show off but only so so” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 128 Restaurants in Sirmione
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: For more than 100 years Restaurant Risorgimento has been a famous resort in old town Sirmione: at Risorgimento's you'll find an excellent traditional cuisine served in a warm ambience, a wide range of wines with more than 1100 labels from all over the world and an exclusive 'Cigar-Room'. It really is hard to find words to describe just how good the food is at Risorgimento's. The seasons play a huge part in the menu here to ensure the highest quality at all times: combining classic Italian ingredients with European flavours, each dish is a plate of absolute perfection in both presentation and flavours.
London
“Show off but only so so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel. Given their previous recommendation had been very good, we were surprised that this was very average.

The menu had 'show off' combinations like shrimps and cocoa butter which defy culinary logic and certainly don't sound Italian. In fact it was quite a hard menu for me to choose from because so many dishes had one 'surprise' ingredient which made the dish sound unattractive. I should say that I am a Londoner, I love innovative food and eat very widely. So my reaction was not conservative but prudent - the combinations just didn't sound like they would work.

To be fair, we ordered dishes which were all good. I am not sure if the verdict would have been the same if I had tried some of their combinations but since we didn't try, we won't judge.

The service also had 'theatrical' elements which to me felt old fashioned and completely unnecessary; there is no added value in cooking a steak o a primus ring in front of the customer. However, on the basics, service was slow and mechanical.

Finally, this place is expensive. Antipasti were comfortably in €20 - €30 range and similar for secondi piatti. The bill for two, (two courses and three glasses of wine and service) was €150. You can do better in
Sirmione.

Visited June 2014

Oslo, Norway
“Our best meal in the area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We asked about the way to this restaurant in the reception of our hotel, and got the reply - just around the corner. It is expensive, but it is the best.
We didn't have a reservation, but still got a table - inside, as the outside was fully booked.
And it was very good! We ended up paying around 55 euros for anti pastis, main courses, dessert and 0,5 litre of wine - not all that bad, from our perspective.
We got the prosicutto and melon-starter, and the buffalo mozarella starter - we shared, as we like to mix and taste, and they were all superb. The ham was so tender and nice, and the mozarella was supersmooth. I had pasta with monkfish and crab, and hubbie had osso bucco - the pasta was so tasty I couldn't help humming... For dessert we shared a plate of 3 creme brulees, liqourice, mandarin and standard vanilla - the standard being the best for us.
The service was good, a bit harder to get the attention as the restaurant started to fill up, but all in all a nice visit. I would LOVE to come back if ever in the area again!

Visited June 2014
Reading
“Excellent food and good service...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Ate here after being recommended it by our hotel. Managed to get a table outside. Lovely food. Good service. A bit more expensive than other restaurants but nice for an occasion.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Gourmet delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Went for late light lunch. Attentive service, nice ambience. Had the salmon and tuna mosaic...excellent. As others have noted pricey but on par with other restraurants in Old Sirmione.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Very good, but not the cheapest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went to this restaurant with my girlfriend about a week ago and she's still in shock about the food, I didn't try her dishes (I'm veggie and she grabbed meat things) but the look on her face said it was brilliant.

I had a tomato soup that was perfect - to the cream floating in top waiting to be mixed or eaten seperately at your choice. Pasta for the main course was brilliant, exactly what you expect and a little bit al dente which is nice. Pudding was fantastic too - Creme brulee selection.

Overall it was a little expensive (it was about 130 euro for both of us, including wine and I think that it would be nearer 150 if I ate meat) but as a treat very much worth it. The service was attentive without being overbearing, the atmosphere lovely and the food exquisite.

We're planning at least one return trip!

P.S. seafood is the speciality of the area, so try some!

• Visited October 2013