“"Great simple place with good food & charming lakeside atmospphere"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cavallino Ristorante Trattoria dei Pescatori

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 28 Restaurants in Varenna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: member of slowfood "Osterie d Italia" for lunch and dinner with the wide range of fresh lake fishkichten open from noon till late evening
Front Royal, Virginia
“"Great simple place with good food & charming lakeside atmospphere"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

The whitefish was cooked to perfection--so hard to find it cooked simple like that--crispy outside and meaty inside. My whitefish stuffed ravioli with raddichio (sp?) cream sauce was outstanding! The local wine was great--we bought a bottle from the waiter to take back to our hotel. The location of this restaurant is right in front of the ferry landing. We enjoyed the sunshine in late October on the terrace. Highly recommended.

Visited October 2011

• Finnish first
Portland, Oregon
“An all-time bizarre restaurant experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We were enticed into this place because they display the little snail of the Slow Food osteria guide, and it's in a nice spot by the ferry dock. Just to give you the memorable moment: when our food arrived, I received penne rather than the maltagliati I had ordered. Then I looked at the table next to us, and the man was complaining to his wife that he ordered penne but received maltagliati. Both he and I had taken a few bites before we realized the mix-up at adjoining tables. I signaled the waiter/owner, and told him what had occurred. (I speak good Italian.) Before I knew it, he picked up the pasta off the table next to me -- that the man had been eating -- and set the bowl in front of me!

I have been a food journalist for almost 30 years, and this was an all-time unique experience.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Sent food back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Today, mistaking the Trip Advisor sign at the front as a sign of a highly rated restaurant, I had the most awful experience. The ravioli was under cooked ,floury, hard and crumbing. I sent it back to have the same plate returned and told that it is home made pasta and that's how it is. Nonsense! They wanted to argue with me but I held my ground. The salad was a mess and looked like leftovers. I paid only for the water, bread and uneaten salad. I was really upset by their attitude.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Besana in Brianza, Italy
“Cibo discreto, prezzi altissimi e conti sbagliati”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We had dinner last night at the Cavallino. The location is superb, but of course, it is all over Varenna!!!

Food was good, but the charge was over Euro 40 per person. Some of us did not even had more than one course.

We chose the set menu, but then got charged for the menu a la carte...

The Owner tries to overhcarge for wine, giving bottles, when asked for glasses, and also on the food.

Lastly, at about 9.30 pm we have been "pushed" out, while still finishing coffe, as they wanted to close.

Definitely a bad experience, especially with so many choices in town!!!

• Visited May 2011