“My favorite restaurant in the world!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Brooklyn, New York
“My favorite restaurant in the world!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Go to La Vista!! The food is amazing and creative. The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. And the view is spectacular. Sit on the terrace and enjoy Lake Como. Treat yourself to the four-course menu and spend hours enjoying the view and the sunset. If it gets cold, the staff will bring out cozy blanket for you! So cute! I had a wonderful, relaxing, romantic time at La Vista with my husband. We loved it so much that we returned two night later!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Gold Coast
“Magnificent view + wonderful food + good wine = perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We enjoyed a memorable meal at La Vista on our first night in Varenna. We decided on the 38 euro 3-course set menu, which was quite good value. I tried the salted cod with cherry tomatoes, asparagus and cress (a lake specialty). The fish was raw, which I didn't realise until it arrived, but I did enjoy it. This was followed by the tenderest slow cooked lamb shank and an equally delicious dessert of chocolate cake with raspberry coulis.

Egidio, the host, advised us on a good local red wine, which he poured through a glass contraption I can't remember the name of - very entertaining!

We had the great pleasure of sitting in the front row, with stunning views of the lake and mountains. As the temperature dropped, we were offered cosy yellow blankets to keep us warm, as we didn't want to leave right away. It was a night to remember, for sure.

La Vista is best enjoyed in fine weather, as the deck is definitely the best place to sit.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely food at reasonable prices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

managed to get a booking here very last minute. The staff are really nice. The food was pretty good as well. I had the ravioli and my wife had some spicy tomato pasta thing. Both were nice, but we weren't blown away. It's a good place for the price and the atmosphere is great. A bit hard to find though!

Visited April 2014
Mid-Peninsula of the San Francisco Bay Area
“Fabulous view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We are doing a two week tour of Italy during a slow month so were able to call and get a reservation with barely an hour before the time we wanted. Sitting on the terrace you get to look directly west to see the sunset. I had the 4 course fixed price dinner. The carrot velouté soup with lime was to die for. I could have eaten 2-3 more bowls easily. The mixed seafood ravioli were good but my lamb shank was one of the best I have ever had. My wife has never been a fan of lamb shank and even she thought this one was good. My dessert course was the mixed berry pan a cotta, which was very good. My wife had the 3 course version fixed price meal. She had the duck prosciutto as appetizer. We both thought it was good. With the heavy smoking it was almost like a ham based prosciutto. Her main course was a fish which she described as tasting very fishy. My opinion is the fish used was not a mild white fish but a darker meat fish. She had the 3 cream brûlée dessert. We both felt the rhubarb crepe brûlée was almost like eating rhubarb jam. The licorice cream brûlée was very good, not as heavy as we thought it might be (we both like strong dark licorice).

Although I don't think there was ever more than 6 or 7 tables occupied either inside or on the terrace combined we found our waitress somewhat forgetful. She had served my appetizer and I had to ask where my glass of white wine I had ordered when we chose our courses was. Later I asked for the wine menu list to choose a red
wine for my lamb shank and after 10-15 minutes I had to remind her to bring the list to me.

Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“What a view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The staff and the owner was very friendly and helpful. The food is decent the wine is tasty but the real thing to visit this place for is the view. The view of Sunset from this restaurant is simply mind blowing!

• Visited September 2013