“Fabulous view” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Mid-Peninsula of the San Francisco Bay Area
“Fabulous view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We are doing a two week tour of Italy during a slow month so were able to call and get a reservation with barely an hour before the time we wanted. Sitting on the terrace you get to look directly west to see the sunset. I had the 4 course fixed price dinner. The carrot velouté soup with lime was to die for. I could have eaten 2-3 more bowls easily. The mixed seafood ravioli were good but my lamb shank was one of the best I have ever had. My wife has never been a fan of lamb shank and even she thought this one was good. My dessert course was the mixed berry pan a cotta, which was very good. My wife had the 3 course version fixed price meal. She had the duck prosciutto as appetizer. We both thought it was good. With the heavy smoking it was almost like a ham based prosciutto. Her main course was a fish which she described as tasting very fishy. My opinion is the fish used was not a mild white fish but a darker meat fish. She had the 3 cream brûlée dessert. We both felt the rhubarb crepe brûlée was almost like eating rhubarb jam. The licorice cream brûlée was very good, not as heavy as we thought it might be (we both like strong dark licorice).

Although I don't think there was ever more than 6 or 7 tables occupied either inside or on the terrace combined we found our waitress somewhat forgetful. She had served my appetizer and I had to ask where my glass of white wine I had ordered when we chose our courses was. Later I asked for the wine menu list to choose a red
wine for my lamb shank and after 10-15 minutes I had to remind her to bring the list to me.

Visited April 2014

London, United Kingdom
“What a view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

The staff and the owner was very friendly and helpful. The food is decent the wine is tasty but the real thing to visit this place for is the view. The view of Sunset from this restaurant is simply mind blowing!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Perfect romance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was the perfect place for a romantic meal on our last night in Varenna.
We had had some great meals in this tiny town.
This is a must visit restaurant.
We had to book ahead a few days (a must if you want a table against the rails with the best view).
The view is just incredible. If the food wasn't that great then it'd still be worth visiting for the view alone. The view is incredible in the daylight, as it gets dark and when it's dark.

The staff are great and what you'd expect in a classy place. Good choice of wine and a lovely glass of prosecco as a starter. Starters of cold meats and a pepper soup where great. The lamb shank and steaks as mains were really good. Desserts were a panna cotta and a chocolate volcano. Beautiful.

This is a fantastic place and is well worth a visit.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cronulla, Australia
“Truly beautiful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We had our concierge book us a table and I am so glad we did.
Our table was on the edge of the patio with views that stretched forever over the lake.
On sunset it is truly breathtaking.
Our meals ,service and wine was exceptional.
A must do if staying in beautiful Varenna.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

the food was exquisite. The service was very good as well, and the waiters were more than helpful with my lack of Italian.

Visited October 2013