“Almost 5 stars” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Como
Louisville, Kentucky
“Almost 5 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Let me begin by saying the only reason the Palace doesn't get my 5 star endorsement is because of ongoing construction. Once the construction is complete, the hotel would get my full 5 star rating. The sledge hammer work on the roof woke us up a bit early one morning; a bit unexpected. That's our only negative comment. The location is wonderful, being right on Lake
Como with views thereof. The staff is fantastic. They were helpful and very pleasant, both in the bar/restaurant and the lobby. The room was large and clean - all we could ask for. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and I'm telling you the truth that it was the best risotto I've ever eaten. We'll be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_HBE_PAL, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your kind review. I am very pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us at the Palace Hotel and greatly appreciated our services and staff.
I will gladly share your compliments with my team. Sorry about the inconvenience due to
noise from the renovation works. The most heavy part has been demolished so things
have calmed down now. We are looking forward to opening the new wing next spring with
64 rooms that include deluxe rooms and junior suites.
Hope to welcome you back in the near future,
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The location of this hotel could not have been better as it was right on Lake Como. Stunning views and such a beautiful town a short walk from the hotel.

The hotel itself is quite spectacular from the outside, and lobby, restaurant and conference facilities were great, but bedrooms are in need of renovating. The bedroom doors are too thin with quite a big gap underneath, so although the walls are thick you can hear every sound coming in through the flimsy doors. The bedroom was tiny and dull, but bathroom was a decent size with good lighting.

Staff were not unhelpful, but they didn't make any extra effort to see that you were OK. I felt like sometimes they acted like they couldn't understand me, when I think that they probably could if they wanted to.

Hotel was very very expensive but that's just how much you pay to stay in an area like Lake Como. Would definitely return to the area but not sure if i would stay in the same hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just stayed at the above hotel for the weekend. Good hotel although we would rate this more of a three than a four star. Rooms are of a very good size and up todate although the bath rooms are a little dated.
Service is A1 from the start and the front could not be more helpful. Look out for Jessica!!

Breakfast was ok served in a very grand room.

Getting there - we flew from Heathrow to Linate Milan and the took a taxi that the hotel had arranged cost 125 euros. On the way back we took the train to Milano the coach to Linate cost - 8 euro for the taxi 13 euros for the train about 35 mins no stops and 5 euro for the coach. Very very easy!

Lake como was very nice went on many ferries and hydra foil then chartered/hired a speed boat on the Sunday. Alot of fun and highly recommended. You do not need a licence for up 40 hp which for 2 was fast enough.

Good

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
gmpalaceComo, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Palace Hotel and I will glady share your compliments with my team.
Regarding the rooms, please note that a complete renovation of 68 rooms and bathrooms is under way and we count to re-open this wing in April 2014. The remaining 32 rooms are fully functional and not in any way disturbed by the above renovation plan.
Best regards,
Manager
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed during summer at the Palace Hotel in Como and enjoyed our stay very much ! This is a really nice hotel in a wonderful area. Each day we went sightseeing around lake Como and the Palace was a great place to come back and relax. The beds were very comfortable and the room offered every amenity you would expect from a luxury hotel. We dinned at the hotel restaurant which was ok. Service was very good, but a little pricey. I would recommend this place to anyone staying in the area !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your kind review. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Palace Hotel. Your kind compliments regarding our high standard of services and amenities are greatly appreciated and I will gladly share them with my team.
Hope to welcome you back to the Palace in the future,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Our recent stay at the Palace Hotel was most enjoyable, the rooms were better than expected and the desk staff very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was a little below expectations and the over zealous staff were in a real rush to clear plates etc.
A minus also was that there was nowhere to get a coffee in the hotel without going to the cocktail lounge which was separate.

We were given vouchers for complimentary cocktails, these turned out to be nonalcoholic fruit cocktails.

Como is a lovely city and well worth the visit.

Room Tip: As for lake front with balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My recent stay at the Palace Hotel was one of the best hotel stays I have ever had. My family and I stayed for a full week and we were truly enchanted by the magic the Lakes of Como offered. We were treated like family by all of the hotel staff. They always greeted us with smiles and did above and beyond for us. Upon check - in the general manager had left us a whole display of fruit! It was the perfect touch to a perfect room. The hotel staff was also extremely knowledgable, they knew very good English and were able to direct the hotel guests with ease around the surrounding city and lake. The on site restuarant and Garden Bar were very nice as well. Also upon arrival they offered a free drink at the Garden Bar Ceccatto! It was perfect for me and my family to be able to sit for a welcome cocktail overlooking the water. They also were very accomodating for my sister and her husband staying in another room with my 7 month old nephew, they even before my family arrived had the crib set up and ready to go for my sister so that he could take a nap or play after taking a long flight. The thing that stands The Palace apart from all other hotels is the spectacular staff. They are truly the "cream of the crop" If I could recommend a hotel to one of my friends or family it would definetly be the Palace Hotel. They are truly a one of a kind hotel and a one of a kind staff. If I could recommend a place to visit and stay while in Italy it would have to be Lake Como at the Palace Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
WOW !!! You've said it all.... there's nothing I can add other than THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!
Hope to welcome you back to the Palace Hotel in the future.
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 8.30pm after a long day of travelling. Checked in, asked for lake view room - which attracted a 30 euro supplement and then charged 5 euros for internet for 30 minutes, we discovered that Como roving internet is free!!!Desperate for food and drink, sent over to bar with promise of free drink but it was closed at 8.50pm, supposedly open until 12 midnight!! This is Italy where Italians don't start eating until 8.30/9pm!! No other bars available so went into town where everything else was open!! After a poor start our lake view room - view fabulous but small no tea and coffee facilities, only one bed side table so I had to put my phone, clock and book on the floor. Double wardrobe but too short for ANY dresses!! Also only one drawer each for underwear, shirts, everything. The bathroom was good with quality cosmetics. Cleaners did not fully clean bathroom.
Breakfast - very good in beautiful period room.
Dinner with friends - bbq good, especially the fish but overloud singer ruined our evening, we couldn't converse and so we sat outside in the cold! However bar manager tried to charge us 90 euros for a bottle of Barolo which we hadn't ordered! We felt he knew what he was doing because he remembered from the previous two nights that we had 17 euro bottle of wine! We strongly refused to pay which nearly ruined our evening and he reduced the bill to 17 euros. So check your bill very carefully in the bar because others we discovered had suffered similar fates.
Simone and ladies on reception were very efficient, Simone being the most friendly and courteous and not arrogant.
Reception decor was fabulous as was breakfast room but corridors and rooms were bland and dated.
Thankfully we didn't have a car as it was 15 euros a day to park. Friends brought their dog which attracted a 20 euro supplement!
Wonderful position but very money grabbing with minimal service.

Room Tip: Lake view is wonderful but room is very small.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
gmpalaceComo, Direttore at Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent review. I am sorry to read about the inconveniences you reported, on the other hand I am pleased you found most of our staff and services efficient.
Regarding the incident about the bottle of Barolo, I must clear the situation for fellow readers. One of the guests at your table did INDEED order a bottle of Barolo and the price is clearly stated on the wine list. I undertsand you were against this decision having preferred a cheaper bottle of wine. Only after having enjoyed and completely finishing the Barolo did you complain about the price. Our head waiter recognised your party as regular guests and for this reason only did he agree to reduce the price. I find it unfair to label us as a "money grabbing hotel" . It is also untrue, as all our prices are clearly leggible on all our menus.
Sorry about the volume of the music, but the BBQ is advertised with "live music" and with no surcharge.
Best regards,
Robert Webber

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!