“Lakefront cozy hotel Barchetta Excelsior” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Cavour 1, 22100 Como, Italy   |
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Como
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Irvine, California
“Lakefront cozy hotel Barchetta Excelsior”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Barchetta Excelsior in my opinion is a 3 star hotel right on the lake. The rooms are very small to American standard, but clean and beautiful. We didn't have a view of course. Breakfast was included in my tour price. Nothing fancy, just muffins, juice, coffee, fruits, etc. but the dining room gives you beautiful view of Lake Como. The price was good. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are bigger and of course, have beautiful lake view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay at the Barchetta Excelsior. Your room choice was that of a classic room. Should you return I strongly suggest
a lake-view room with a small rate supplement, but well worth it. Our hotel has over 60 rooms overlooking the lake, delighting our lucky guests with a breath-taking view.
The remaining 24 classic rooms have a city view.
The manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Room size is great. We also had a room with a balcony overlooking the water. Quite a beautiful view on the 4th fl. The staff was good too. Very helpful and always around to answer questions.
You have to pay for wifi, that's fine. Had no problems connecting to it, I noticed some people have. But my connection was good and pretty fast. Breakfast was plenty for us, no complaints. The rooms were kept clean. Although the Lysol smell was strong for a bit. Location is awesome, close to everything from restaurants to shopping to boats to train station.
We were less than impressed with the heating and A/C. We went in March, the weather is all over the place with sunny days into the upper 60's but also cold nights. Neither the heat nor the a/c worked. It wasn't a problem, as we figured out a system of opening the balcony door and closing depending on temperature. But still.... I'd rather have working cooling and heating. Also, the TV did not work. Again, no problem, I didn't go to Italy to watch TV. But still (again), sometimes when you lie in bed on vacation it'd be nice to turn the tv on. (the issue was with the wall cable outlet, it was broken so the tv was connected to nothing, just stuck to a hole in the wall).
All in all, we had a good experience. I would recommend this place to a friend. And ultimately, I guess that is what is important. I can't give half stars but if I could, I would rate this 3 1/2.

Room Tip: Take the water view. Do yourself a favor!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review following your stay in March at the Barchetta Excelsior. I am pleased to read that you had a nice stay with us and I will gladly share your compliments with my team. They are greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about the problems you encountered with the heating and TV. I can assure readers that they are both fully functional and should a guest report a problem, it is always dealed with promtly. We guarantee any type of ordinary repairal within the same day of it being reported. For information sake, A/C is available during the summer months and the installation is brand new. We have 25 TV channels, the majority of which are non-Italian.
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Just spent 4 nights there with my wife. Booked a double with lake view. Were given a lovely large room 102 on the front corner of the first floor. We thought it was great as it had windows in two sides. Also had fold out bed in couch which like lots of these are ok for a bed but collapse so much impossible to sit on. Separate wardrobe room with safe and large bathroom, bit dated but ok. Place was clean and looked after well during our stay. However at 6pm next morning we thought buses were driving through our bedroom with their radios blaring. It happened that opposite the hotel is the major central bus stop for the old town and they start at 6am. Also the walls are so thin you can hear all the TV's from other rooms also loud voices. It's not noticeable until you try to sleep. Windows are double glazed but I guess building structure just let's sound travel. I would guess if you are at the back or on a higher floor outside noise will not be so much of an issue. Suggestion would be to avoid lower floor. Hotel is in great position opposite lake and boats, railway station to milan 2 minute walk as is the vehicular railway. On the edge of the old town with shops, restaurants and bars. The hotel breakfast is good and hotel now seems to have free wifi after lots of previous complaints I guess. At least I managed to connect in to a service without a password for the whole stay. Restaurant is top food, small menu but really first class and really actually cheap for what you get compared to the touristy places outside. One tip avoid WHY not bar out the front of the hotel as they have rip of cover charge €4.50 and then stil charge for bread. Parking off site €15 day. Would stay here again but only if I was not on first floor based on position. It's a good 3 star I don't see 4 stars especially not based on noise.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review. I hope your stay was pleasant with us at the Barchetta Excelsior. Sorry to hear about the noise in the morning. Normally our rooms on the higher floors guarantee complete silence as the window fittings are brand new and soundproof.
At the time of your stay we were fully booked and therefore unable to accomodate you on
the upper floors.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future,
amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. Rooms with a lake view are awesome. Location is perfect. On a square with some restaurants and right opposite the lake where the ferries take off. Dinner at the bistro was top notch and of course the staff was one of the friendliest I have met. Would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your great review regarding your stay at the Barchetta Excelsior.
What can I say? I totally agree!
I will gladly share your compliments with my cherished team and I hope to welcome you
back very soon.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Our first room was disappointing being at the back (and still fairly noisy) but clean and a reasonable size. We requested a move to the front of the hotel to a (more expensive) room with a balcony for the second and third nights of our stay and this was managed well by the friendly and professional staff. Location is great overlooking the Lake and it seemed that most of the bus services stop outside the hotel. Breakfast was slightly disappointing (e.g. no museli) but quite adequate. Dinner was a very good standard but we thought expensive. Not sure if we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front (for the view) and high up (to reduce the noise from the square). This...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. Your compliments are greatly appreciated as also your comments, that will enable us to improve our services. Please note that during your stay,
breakfast was served at the Bistrò as a temporary measure, due to the refurbishment of
our lake-view breakfast parlour on the first floor. Therefore our rich buffet maybe lacked
a few items that are normally available. Service has now resumed in our renovated
breakfast room. Our delicious buffet awaits you!
Hoping to welcome you back in the future,
The Manager
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel is in a wonderful location, close to the lake overlooking a piazza. We had a lakeside view in a very comfortable room with balcony. Not sure the AC would work very well in the summer, but we slept with the balcony door open so no problem other than noise emanating late at night from the piazza (revellers). The staff is very welcoming and accommodating. Wifi is free in the public areas but you had to pay if you wanted to use it in your room. There was a PC available in the lobby for use, again you had to pay. Problem was the connection is dreadful – I demanded my wifi fee back as I could not even keep a connection to check-in a flight. Breakfast is ok but nothing special. Room rate was adequate for the location, but I feel the hotel really needs to step its game up a little more.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
gmbarchetta, Direttore at Barchetta Excelsior, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Hotel Barchetta Excelsior. Your compliments regarding our service and welcoming staff are greatly appreciated and I will
gladly share your appraisal with my team. For fellow readers, please be informed that our
air-co system is new (March 2013) and is fully functional in the summer. We are currently
working on a free wi-fi project that will soon be available for our guests. The existing wi-fi
is very good and the connection is perfect.
Breakfast is also very good and usually served in our lake view restaurant on the first floor.
During your stay this room was being completely renovated and therefore breakfast was
served in the Bistrò restaurant on the ground floor with a slightly smaller buffet.
Normal service will resume within the end of this week.
Manager
Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

A recent stay here was very good. The rooms have been remodeled since my last stay here and mine was very large and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful with suggestions about the city. Unfortunately I am unsure if I will stay here next time in Como because of the very expensive internet access for which you must pay by the hour.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the lake have a nice balcony, ask for the 6th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your kind review. I am very pleased to read you had a great stay with us at the Barchetta Excelsior. Your compliments regarding the excellent service are greatly appreciated and I will proudly share them with my team.
Please do not hesitate returning in the future due to the expensive wi-fi internet access.
We will be very pleased to surprise you on your next stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
Robert Webber

Been to Barchetta Excelsior? Share your experiences!