“My third stay in 27 years - it's only got better.” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   salita Grandi 6, 22021 Bellagio, Italy   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Bellagio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“My third stay in 27 years - it's only got better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Fabulous Bellagio, fantastic Hotel Bellagio. This was our third stay at this hotel where we honeymooned 27 years ago. No it's not the "Ritz", it's just a damn good hotel with spectacular views over the lake and mountains. Happily the views haven't changed, but the hotel has had a total modernisation - clean, fresh and understated. The breakfast is excellent with a good range of food to choose from, and wash down with lots of cafe latte. The staff are professional, courteous, friendly and helpful. We can't wait to return to this little bit of heaven on earth.

Room Tip: It goes without saying that a lake view is essential
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

The moment I arrived to this hotel by myself nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They were friendly and helped me with my italian which I am learning. The room was magnificent which a view to die for. I was on the third floor. There was always a smile when I walked in the front door. The only thing is if you have to carry a large suitcase and have difficulties then beware it is up 30 cobblestone steps. I managed with several rests on the way up but on leaving the nice man carried my case down for me. Would definitely stay here again. A warm and friendly hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I found the Hotel Bellagio on Trip Advisor, and it was excellent in many ways. The rooms are extremely nice and modern-feeling. We had rooms with lake views (155 Euros/night), and the views were enchanting from the small balcony or lying in bed.

The staff were not terribly gracious, but did passably well. The desk clerk did respond extremely well when we complained about excessive heat from the bathroom towel rack heater.

The breakfast was good, but not noteworthy--a decent Continental breakfast.

The location is wonderful, although up a long flight of stairs outside. There are many restaurants within easy walking distance.

Our main complaint was the parking. We paid 12 Euros/night to park in a garage quite far away. FInding it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, that was very negative!! We first stopped at the hotel to get a map to the parking and drop the luggage off. The map was not adequate. You have to drive through a pedestrian zone that looks like a road on the map. It is, in fact, a ZTL (Zono Traffico Limitato). This made no sense to us so we had to drive around several times thru narrow, windy streets before working up the nerve to drive through throngs of tourists. This is not intuitive for us, and the hotel clerk should have made it clearer (she had good English).

We never could get the Wifi to work.

Overall, I would stay in the Hotel Bellagio again, but there were a couple quirks.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

My 76 year old mother and I (her fourth trip to Italy, my first) stayed in a double room, no view, for 2 nights in mid-September 2011 (second stop on my 6-location whirlwind tour of Italy after 2 nights in Milan). I loved the hotel, and Bellagio, and am booking to come back, as a solo traveller, next September. Yes, it's up a flight of 38 steps and there's no help (it's clear from all the pictures Bellagio is a series of beautiful up/down lanes and there is not extra staff on hand at the hotel to help you, so pack light). Yes, the rooms with a lake view are beautiful (I peeked into one as the maids were cleaning), and in hindsight I wish I'd booked one for my mother and I as she spent more time in the room reading (jet lag) and happy hour would have been lovely looking over the lake. Yes, the pictures are really what you get, which is great...the outdoor deck for breakfast was wonderful with it's little-bit-more than peek-a-boo view of the lake. And breakfast was good, fresh fruit, yoghurt, hand made cappucino/latte, sweet breads (brioche, croissants, etc.)...I can't remember anymore if they had any meat and cheese selection...I don't think so, but I might be wrong on this point.

As for getting in/out, we took the train from Milan to Varenna, then the boat to Bellagio, arriving around 4pm, and that worked out wonderfully. There was a 24-hour general strike (9pm Sat to 9pm Sun) so we took the 8:30am bus to Como (small, lots of us crammed in as it turned out just about the only train in all of Italy NOT running that morning was the train from Varenna back to Milan) which was cheap (around 8 euro) and easy (dropped us all off right in front of the train station). We did the tour of Villa Balbianello, which I didn't think was worth 45 euros each, but it was a pretty place.

Room Tip: The lake view from view rooms is really, really pretty.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We had four nights there and really enjoyed Bellagio. The location of hotel is excellent and the steps up from the main street is easy for those used to Europe. Contrary to a lot of the other reviews we found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly although we did converse in English and Italian. The breakfast was typical for Italy and we thought was good. You will not get fried breakfasts in many hotels in Italy! The hotel was a little pricey but we put that down to being in Bellagio which is just a magical place to visit. The only real downer for me was the bed. Seemed strange that the hotel was very comfortable in every way except the main item. It was just rock hard and poor quality. As a big Aussie (186cm and 100kg) this was a major issue for me and even though I loved the place I am not sure I would stay here again just because of the beds. What were they thinking when they brought them?

Room Tip: Checkout the bed comfort closely and try and stay in higher floors
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Napa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

An enormous disappointment. We arrived after a long international flight. We knew we had to lug the bags up the stairs, but not having them even open the doors for us as we struggled out of breath, portended the level of service for the entire trip. One morning at breakfast, the lady in charge yelled at one of her subordinates who had a painful wry neck. She was so abusive that we felt badly and went over to give him an extra tip. This hotel had a lovely view. The rooms were indeed clean. The maid usually arrived before supper, but always after lunch. The front desk staff wins the prize for the coldest and least helpful of all our visits to Italy, and they have been numerous. Bellagio itself was a bit of a disappointment. Lovely scenery with a Teutonic flare, except that in Germany we've experienced far greater hospitality. I would conclude by saying that the climb up the stairs with the luggage is far less unpleasant than the welcome (or lack thereof) upon arrival in the reception area.

Room Tip: Try another property
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

The hotel has a very good location near the ferry landings, restaurants and shops.

The room we stayed on the top floor has two large picturesque windows which offer a panoramic view of the lake. You can open and close the windows easily with the electric control by the bedside.

Apart from the view and location, there is nothing much to rave about. The staff is indifferent and not welcoming, the room furnishing is basic and minimal and breakfast is disappointing, poor in quality and choices.

For $169 per night, it seems overpriced. I would not return to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bellagio? Share your experiences!