“I wouldn't stay anywhere else” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Il Perlo Panorama
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Valassina 180, 22021 Bellagio, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Bellagio
London, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't stay anywhere else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed here 15-19th Aug. Had read reviews on here but still was nervous about the choice. When we arrived we were blown away by the view and quality of the establishment. It is located up the hill about 3k outside of Bellagio. You can either walk it which takes a good 35mins or use the shuttle offered by the hotel. It may feel like a hassle having to get back and forth to bellagio but the view and hotel make it all worthwhile. The view from the terrace is out of this world.....it really has to be seen to be believed. We walked from Bellagio twice with a beer and glass of wine sat on the terrace making it all worthwhile. The staff are superb...I just can't fault the place for the price. If I was going back I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

My children and I loved the location and the relaxed atmosphere. We were able to walk to the beach every day and enjoy refreshments on the beautful terrace. The only disappointment was that the water in the hotel was not potable and we actually had to buy water to brush our teeth, even though there was filtered water available in the breakfast room. When I tried to refill one of the water bottles that I had bought the day before I was told that I would be charged for the water. Very disappointing. If I can't brush my teeth in my room I shouldn't have to pay for the bottled water.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

We drove to Bellagio from Cinque Terre and on the way enjoyed some of the most sensational scenery on earth. When we arrived at Hotel Il Perlo Panorama we could not have been happier. Perched on top of the hill, above Bellagio village, and overlooking Lake Como to the north, east and west, this place was just perfect for us. We had wanted a hotel that was not in the main "tourist strip" but was within walking distance to the village - and because we were driving it had to have a car park. Hotel Il Perlo ticked all the boxes. The owners are very friendly and very accommodating, and our room - what a view!!! Sensational! Seriously, you just want to sit on the terrace outside your room and just drink it all in. Our room overlooked the Lake on all sides, and having the corner room we had unobstructed views to the west from the bedroom, bathroom and balcony. Breakfast is served in the breakfast room but you can take a tray up to your balcony, or to the communal terrace across the grounds from the main hotel - we did this on a couple of days and it was a lovely way to start the day. The hotel provides a shuttle service (and the driver wears a uniform!) from the hotel to the village, and return, or you can walk - which we did every day. The walk from the hotel to the Village is beautiful and takes you past some wonderful homes and countryside. The walk is incredibly scenic but via walking tracks and trails, and down a number of stone steps so proper footwear is a necessity. The hotel also recommends a couple of local restaurants which offer a shuttle back to the hotel if you dine there - we tried three of the restaurants and enjoyed them all. The only negative - if you're a 'light' sleeper - there is a rooster that lives nearby, on one of the farms, and a couple of yappy dogs close by. This combination kept me awake the entire first night - if it wasn't the rooster crowing it was the dogs yapping - mind you I was the only one kept awake, the better half slept through the entire chorus. The next night I used ear plugs bought from the local pharmacy! Wonderful! I used them for next four nights........slept perfecty every night. Well worth taking a supply of ear plugs with you if you sleep lightly. We would absoutely stay here again if we ever get the opportunity to travel to Bellagio again in the future. In fact, based on our feedback, friends of ours are staying at Hotel Il Perlo Panorama in September this year!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
El Dorado, CA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

We were completely satisfied with our expereince at Il Perlo. We booked a lake-facing room. The views are as adverstised. Absolutely beautiful. Stunning. I suppose you get accustomed to the views after a while, but we were awestruck the whole time we were there.

Being in Bellagio, perhaps some expect a super luxurious hotel. While Il Perlo was comfortable, clean and enjoyable, it's not gold-plated, Tiffany chandeliers, and waterfalls (thank goodness). We stayed in the older main hotel. The rooms were a nice size. At night we didn't hear our neighbors above or to the sides. It was not noisy in the least.

We didn't see inside the newer rooms below the original building (which used to house a restaurant). The proprietors have been thinking of remodelling and moving into a different tier of services, at the expense of a place to stay for us regular folk. I hope they keep things they way they are for our sakes.

The location was appreciated by us. It was away from the tourist hubbub of Bellagio's hotels on the water, but close enough that we could be amongst the throngs in a few minutes if we wanted to be. Being cyclists, we were captivated by the location of Il Perlo on the climb to Madonna del Ghisallo used in the Tour of Lombardy every fall. If there's a shortcoming, it's that the hotel is not at the bottom of the climb, instead of part-way up. Of course that would be at the expense of the view--so I can live with that.

The Sancassano Family does a great job of staying on top of what's going on. We had several conversations with Carlo and his mother, Piera. They are wonderful, friendly people and speaking with them added to our positive experience. It has to be a tough business dealing with tourists all the time--I am certain some of us can be a challenge. But they take everything in stride and with good humor.

Their staff was excellent, in our experience. I don't remember the names of the two women we dealt with at mealtimes--one in the morning, one in the evening. But both were very nice to us and kept things in order and plates full. The cleaning crew did a great job each day.

Breakfasts were good, as we experienced at most other places we stayed. Pretty much standard offerings in Italy. Certainly adequate, no complaints.

I didn't think they offered dinner, but they did, in fact, have a nightly offering that you could choose to purchase if so desired. We did so on two occasions, which was great since we were tired from the day's ride on those two evenings and didn't feel like leaving to find another restaurant. Good food (tried gnocchi for the first time and loved it). Simple offerings and convenient if, like us, you didn't want to leave the grounds.

I do not know when we will visit Lake Como again, but when we do we will gladly stay again at Il Perlo Panorama.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

So glad we spent so long on line looking for a hotel around Lake Como.
Thank goodness we did not stay in Bellagio itself as Il Perlo is located 3 kms up the mountain where it is peaceful and enjoys the best views.
You do need a car or they do offer excellent inexpensive and sometimes free shuttle service.
Our room had its own extensive sitting area and french doors onto a large verandah from where we could have sat the entire stay (4 days)to enjoy the everchanging colours of the Alps and waters of Lake Como. Bellisimo!

Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in this hotel and we had the pleasure to be upgraded to a junior suite. We had a very '70 like room, with a private balcony and a view which was probably the best I ever had in my life. Absolutely spectacular - even despite the foggy circumstances !

The room itself wasn't very special, old furniture that urgently needs replacing and the bed gave me a backache. Also the cleaners didn't do their job properly : we had ants crawling around a dead insect before and after cleaning... And it wasn't in a dark corner or anything. Breakfast is really bad too unfortunately.

The people running the place are very nice and helpful however. We didn't try the food in the evening, there is plenty of choice downtown.

I would recommend this place just for the views, not for anything else. But again, I do think the view is worth it and it's one of the more affordable places around Bellagio.

Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

My partner and I had already spent a stressful few days in Milan before driving up to Bellagio so it was a relief to find that the hotel and all others were so well sign posted as you arrived in the town. The first thing that struck us as we parked the car was how picturesque the hotel was.

As we checked in the lady was wonderful, genuinely helpful and friendly and as they are located just outside the main town up on the hill had a list of their own daily shuttle which made 3 trips a day and of restaurants in and around the town that provided a free shuttle service. Despite the fact that we had a hire car we chose to use the shuttle service during the day to save on the chaos of trying to find parking etc.

Our room was not part of the main building but was part of a separate small block with the most fanastic view out over Bellagio and Lake Como. The room was large compared to our accommodation in Milan and although furnished in a very basic style had everything we needed... including our own small terrace with table and chairs.

We spent 3 days in Bellagio and fell in love with it's relaxed atmosphere and brilliant location. As we walked around the town we stopped to look at other hotels and genuinely felt that we had the better deal in a family run establishment.

It was a wonderfully relaxing stay and without hesitation we would both stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Il Perlo Panorama? Share your experiences!