“Extremely nice, helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salita Plinio 7, 22021 Bellagio, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Bellagio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bucks County, PA, USA
“Extremely nice, helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

I can't say enough good things about this hotel and the management. It is very "pension style", quite basic, but none the worse for that. Very modern and clean and comfortable. Free internet, very central location

My wife and I had to cut short our visit from 2 days to one for personal reasons and although I was prepared to pay the 2 nights as per agreement, the hotel very graciously let me pay the 1 night only. Amazing customer service.

Bellagio is beautiful but at weekends can be very touristy. All the ferries unload lots of visitors throughout the day. However before 11 and after 7 it reverts to the beautiful lakeside town it is with nice waterfront restaurants.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

Just got back from 4 nights at Hotel Centrale. Wonderful value for money: excellent location (just a stones throw from the ferry), lovely good-sized room with glass doors opening to a pretty garden, clean and lovely furnishings, great sheets, good cleaning every day, great breakfast included and best of all was the service provided by the family who run the hotel. They could not have been kinder. When they found out I was departing very early in the morning they prepared a breakfast tray and left it in my room the night before. I also found Bellagio to be the most beautiful of all the areas in the Lake Como district. I was tossing up between staying here or Lake Como, and am so glad I decided on Bellagio - it is also more central to other towns on the lake and wont cost you so much or take so long to see the other towns on the lake as it would if you stay in Como.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

It's amazing that so many people have a consistently positive and wonderful experience at Hotel Centrale, but it's absolutely true. I stayed here over a weekend and the overall experience of the worn, hotel, and locals was just spectacular. I think the key differentiating factor is Giacomo and his family... they are friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, and just wonderful people. In a small village/resort like Bellagio, I think it makes such a big difference when the hotel proprietors are so warm and family-like.

As reported before, rooms are simply appointed, clean, and comfortable. (Heh, I doubt you'll be spending too much time holed up in your room because there's just so many beautiful and fun things to do and ways to relax on Lake Como.) Water pressure, important to me, was very good, and the water was hot and the heated towel racks a nice plus. We had a room with a large, shared outdoor patio and a tiny sliver of a view to the lake. Breakfast wasn't outstanding but the espresso/cappuccinos were delicious and lovingly made by Giacomo's son.

Parking was a bit of a toss-up. We were in Bellagio over Italy labor day weekend so the entire area was packed. I ended up parking at the church for a little bit off-hour (can't really use it for long-term parking) and then at the paid lot by the ferry. I don't remember the exact cost but it was about EUR15 for 8am-8pm parking, as the "free" spots on the street were all taken up. If you're driving, I'd recommend that you don't even waste too much time looking for free spots because they're so scarce. Just pony up for the real parking and enjoy the rest of your time on the lake.

Hotel Centrale also had complimentary Internet access, which I think is a key differentiating factor these days. You never know how sometime might come up or when you need access for a little bit - even on vacation. It's nice to know high-speed access is availale at your hotel and they're not jacking you for EUR20+ a day like the bigger hotels.
If you're headed to Bellagio, definitely try and stay in Hotel Centrale. It's in a great location, owned by a lovely family, and you'll probably have as great a time as me and the many others in this forum.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

We enjoyed our two night stay at the Hotel Centrale in Bellagio after reading previous Trip Advisor reviews. Myself and two colleagues were on business in the Como area and decided to stay a bit further up the lake in Bellagio which is one of the most beautiful towns on Lake Como.

The Hotel Centrale is in a great location in Bellagio especially if arriving by ferry. If you have luggage it is a short walk from the ferry terminal up some fairly steep steps directly opposite the terminal.

There were a couple of disadvantages with the hotel as far as we were concerned:-

1) Breakfast - We had to get the 8.15am ferry to Como to attend an exhibition and unfortunately breakfast is from 8.30am - 10.30am which was too late for us. We asked at reception the night before if we could have breakfast at 7.30am but were told that this was not possible.

2) Payment - We tried to settle our bill by Visa debit card and were told that this was not acceptable for payment. Only credit cards are accepted.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay but we felt that the service could have been more accommodating as far as breakfast was concerned.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

I was expecting to like this place because of all the good reviews, and we really did! Maybe the best hotel room of the 13 we stayed in while on our trip! We arrived late, and the owner escorted us to our room, explained everything, and was very nice and humble. Bellagio is a quintessential Italian alps town, and Hotel Centrale fits nicely into it. Would definitely stay here again!

Pros: Very friendly staff, free internet, good complimentary breakfast, nice rooms
Cons: Parking was a little tough to find, but free. Bellagio itself is very out of the way

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

My husband and I arrived in Bellagio for a short trip, without any prior reservation we visited three hotels in Bellagio, including Metropole and Hotel Bellagio, yet found Hotel Centrale good value for money, clean and friendly. The room itself had limited space, but sufficient for the one night stay, toilet only had a shower. We enjoyed the free wi-fi. Although the breakfast did not include bacon and eggs, we enjoyed the home baked pastries, cold meats and cuppacino.
The family are very passionate about the hotel and exceptionally helpful when it came to assisting with booking our onward journey, ferry and train tickets to Milan.
We would recommend that you take the walking trip up to the villa (only private tours are allowed and about 8 euros which is well worth it).
Remember this review is based on its 3* rating.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

My wife and I (early 30's) stayed for 2 nights at Hotel Centrale. I researched it using TA and found the reviews spot on. The rooms are merely adequate but the value/service/location/ambience is great.

For restaurants we liked Baba Yaga the best of all the ones people recomended. If you are up for it, the hiking in Menaggio - Mt Grona was our highlight.

Bellagio Point is pretty good (high expecations from these TA reviews made it a little disappointing). Enoteca Cava is open later and we found their wine selection more diverse

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Centrale? Share your experiences!