“very elegant historic hotel, with good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Florence

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bellagio
Hotel Florence
Piazza Mazzini, 46, 22021 Bellagio, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Bellagio
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
“very elegant historic hotel, with good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

enjoyed our stay at this very historic(read old) property. Its next to fancy Villa Serbelloni on the harbor a stones throw from the ferry drop off. Service is present which is getting harder to find these days. Common areas like lobby breakfast room and bar are beautiful. Room less so. Carpets and draperies could use replacing they looked tired. They have no shower curtain or shower door. If you use it you will splash water all over the bathroom floor and walls and fixtures....there is no avoiding it so be very careful. They cite sanitary reasons for lack of curtain, but there has to be a better solution. Its almost absurd the way they expect you to shower. We hadA/C some rooms do and some don't. The HUGE terrace was shared with a neighbor we didnt see and it was nice to sit on it and gaze at the lake and the goings on. I too feel 3 1/2 stars is more approporiate then 4 but its not an option so I rounded up. OMG the pillows are flat rocks bring your own if you can

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

A rating of four stars is a little too generous, but then three stars would do this hotel a disservice. Trip advisor should allow half stars.

The hotel itself is charming, and my room with its wrap around balcony, solid furnishings and spectacular views won me over and tipped the hotel to four stars. The town itself is gorgeous although verging on precious (in a kind of Venice way). It really is a perfect spot for seeing all of Lake Como (although Menaggio should be considered too).

The biggest issue for me was the staff. I will admit straight away that I had just arrived from Japan, where customer service is an art form, which might have spoilt me. I found the receptionist who greeted me seemed to be filled with a great sense of thinly veiled contempt tempered by a little boredom, perhaps. I really do sympathise: I'm sure she had just gone through an entire summer of idiot guests and couldn't stand the sight of another one. I tried everything short of juggling to raise a smile to no avail. I lie, there might have been a melting of the ice towards the end, but that may have been joy at seeing the back of me. The chap running the bar seemed to be channelling the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland, racing about in a exaggerated sense of panic, which made us few customers feel like we were imposing. Some of the restaurant staff were appalling: even though I had a booking, there was no hint of joy at seeing me enter, none at all. I spilt some wine by accident, and one of the waiters moved not an inch but rather gazed at me in bovine wonder. All balanced, however, by lovely staff at breakfast, and a more pleasant receptionist who took over briefly during my stay.

The pity is, I believe, that sometimes a hotel is so perfectly placed and in such a tourist hotspot, it doesn't need to compete any more and therefore doesnt try to make any effort any more: it holds what is in effect a monopoly. You can see this in my rating: if I was to stay in Bellagio again, I would probably head straight for the Florence again.

The hotel won't care about my remarks: it's probably full until winter. I would like to add some suggestions nonetheless. Handheld showers without a hook to hang the shower head on nor shower curtains is not considerate to either the guest nor to the person mopping up afterwards . Although it is trendy to advertise wet rooms for bathrooms, this is meant to be more by design than accident. Similarly, wi-fi free is nice, but restricting it to the lobby is a little passé and terribly annoying.

Jolly nice hotel, though! But don't the owners know it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Blue Mountains, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

As we neared Bellagio on the ferry coming from Varenna we could see Hotel Florence looking so well situated right on the waterfront. It was an easy short walk to the hotel from the ferry stop. The hotel had a lovely reception area with comfortable looking seats to relax in. There was another public area on the first floor with seating and a bookshelf with a variety of travel books on the Italian Lakes written in English. We had two rooms on the fourth floor, one for my husband and self and one for our teenage sons. Both rooms were just gorgeous- tastefully and individually decorated (no boring modern contemporary here). The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was stylish and lovely and light. Everything was very clean. My husband and I had a room facing the lake with cute little French doors to open. The view was spectacular, you could just sit there and enjoy it. It was so pleasant just to walk around and explore Bellagio and come back to this lovely hotel. Our only problem was our stay was not long enough.

Room Tip: Beautiful view from 4th floor over the lake.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel Florence has a fabulous location with amazing views across the lake. If you are of the age where sleep quality and cold showers are unimportant then this is the place for you as it is a romantic looking hotel, with spacious rooms and bathrooms. I personally hate air con but in August it is a necessity in Bellagio the fan with the windows open does not keep the room cool and we spent restless noisy nights. The shower pressure on the high floors is non-existent tricky washing long hair, our mixer tap did not work, either scalding hot or cold, as it was August not too much of a problem or if you fancy a cold shower in November! We found the young receptionist quite offensive and rude on arrival she could do with a few lessons at charm school and how to greet guests after they have been driving for 7 hours! A young chap who helped with our bags and poured us copious prosecco was very charming! Good breakfast and decent coffee.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel couldn't have been more perfect for us to experience such a lovely stay in Bellagio. The staff was truly the best part of our experience. They were accomodating, welcoming and treated us like old friends. Our room was very clean and comfortable, although our bath was a bit small - my husband couldn't stand in the tub because it was too narrow, but luckily there was plently of room for him to sit at the back so that he could shower that way. The tub in our friend's room was not as narrow so not everyone who stays here will run into the same problem. The view from our balcony was breathtaking. The breakfasts were plentiful and the service and menu at the hotel bar was excellent. I would definitely return to the Hotel Florence and will recommend it to all my friends.

Room Tip: Units in the front and side rooms nearer the front have gorgeous views of the lake and mountains.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Quite possibly the best room in Bellagio - Room #3. Quite possibly one of the best value hotels in the world. We paid as much for our 3 night stay (in the best room/suite in the hotel) than we paid for dinner at the Serbelloni across the street. Hard to say how this resort only merits '3' official stars. It is better than many 4 star hotels I have stayed at. I guess it is due to the perverse hotelier rating check list as the hotel does lack certain facilities like in-room wifi and a swimming pool. Otherwise, the quality of the room decor is first class. And the lake-side views are unbeatable. And the outdoor balcony is as striking as it is spacious. All the staff are super friendly and helpful. This is the place to stay in Bellagio.

Room Tip: Room #3 is right on the corner with big French windows looking at two different aspects on Lake Como...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

We decided to stay at The Hotel Florence mainly through the positive reviews from trip advisor. Whilst looking at other hotels it was disappointing to find that they had such small dated tired bedrooms. The Florence had a suite available room 3 that they said was spacious with a terrace and had wonderful views. Viewing the room online the decor looked a bit alarming, but we decided to go with it!

We were not disappointed, the room was extremely spacious, very tall ceilings, antique chabby chic italian look and had a separate sitting room, adequate bathroom and a huge shared terrace that had an amazing view of the lake, and main drag of Bellagio, so you certainly found yourself absorbed by the atmosphere of this magical little town. All in all it was very homely and proved a great base. It would of been perfect if we could of had wifi and a fridge in our suite.

We were not concerned that our room did not have air conditioning as the bedroom and sitting room had huge French doors which let in a beautiful Breeze, however there was a mini heat wave whilst we were there and the room did get extremely hot, thank goodnes for the fan, which kept us cool whilst we slept. Yes, there is a lot of noise from the town as another reviewer pointed out, but we did get used to it and it justed added to the whole experience of being in Belagio.

This is not the friendliest hotel or town we have ever stayed, but have to say that whenever we had a question or request, someone was always keen to help us. The hotel is certainly the right end of Bellagio and has a super people watching street bar and lovely restaurant.

This was our first holiday like this away from a beach and pool, we wanted a bit more action, so hired a bike for a couple of days cycling which was fantastic, visited Como, and virtually all the other little towns on the lake. Varenna is a must. Had great fun at the Salice Blu cookery school with chef Luigi . . . Walked our socks off, was sad to leave!

Should we return to Bellagio, we would certainly choose to stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Florence? Share your experiences!