“A Touch on the Expensive Side” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 62 Restaurants in Bellagio
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Pasta, Chowder
Description: Chef Luigi invite you to Salice Blu Restaurant for Lunch and Dinner, during the Summer season it is possible to have lunch and dinner in the pergola terrace,the menu is 100% Italian and in the back of the restaurant if you like to see, we have an aromatic and vegetables garden, fresh fish from the lake and fresh pasta. Every day, to have a good table, it is good reserve and if you'd like, Chef Luigi, I do every day with reservation Private Cooking Lesson.
London, United Kingdom
“A Touch on the Expensive Side”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2014

The good things - Luigi came to our hotel to collect us which was great. His personality shines and you can tell he cares very much about his restaurant and the food he serves.

The restaurant, and particularly the terrace, are beautiful and quite romantic.

The food -I had the 4 lake fish - ok but not outstanding. The truffle pasta was overcooked and didn't honestly taste of much. My partner (who is a very fussy eater - no sauces etc.) was catered for with good Tempura Prawns, but the fish he asked for was fine but didn't have very much flavour, probably his fault as he asked for it to be plainly cooked!

Reading some of the other reviews I tend to agree that this restaurant is very much either to your taste (ie small portions of beautifully presented food) or you could say it is expensive compared
to other restaurants in the town. Our bill was 150 Euros for two.

Not one I personally would visit again. Having said that we talked to several people dining and they loved it and always ate there every time they visit Bellagio.

• Visited September 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Has a wonderful lunch for two for under €100. Magnificent seafood and, for my coeliac partner, the first oppprtunity in her life to eat ravioli (made from polenta and potatoes and see stuffed with lake fish). The terrace tables are a delightful setting. Being driven to the restaurant and back to the ferry by Luigi was an added bonus.

Austinburg, Ohio
“The Emporer's New Clothes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Everything about this place is a farce. I give it 5 stars for being awful on every level.  It's the grand prize winner of worst restaurant experience in the last 5 years. It's curious that this establishment has so many excellent reviews ( many in Italian)? When you read through the less than good reviews, they reflect everything we experienced.

The menu is contrived, the food overpriced, the portions small, the service inconsistent and untrained.  Everything we had was over cooked  beyond belief, greasy and tasteless. The rolls were like little grenades , hard enough to break a tooth. To think this chef teaches cooking to innocent students is a bad joke!

In my opinion,  Chef Luigi is a full on narcissist. He tries to control everything.  Has to explain every menu item as though he is presenting something that has never been seen before.  He personally takes the orders,  personally serves some of the items, answers the phone etc. He also tries to act as the  chauffeur in order to control that you actually show up and stay.

He wheeled out this rickety cart ( like something out of Faulty Towers) with what looked like a giant fish encrusted in salt and made a big demonstration of serving it to customers seated behind us.  It turns out there was only half of a fish burried under there and they complained, but he brushed them off with some excuse.

The few (2?) support staff were present at the beginning of the evening and then disappeared. We waited and waited to see any sign of life to get our hands on some salt, and possibly an edible piece of bread, but that never happened.
We sat unattended for long stretches, finally managed to pay-($177 and I was still hungry) and then  had to walk back to the hotel as they wouldn't call a taxi for us.  Chef Luigi wanted to drive us, but we had already waited 30 minutes, after being told 5 minutes.

We were so disappointed by this experience and completely confused by the trip adviser rating. Happily though, we went on to discover some actually good restaurants in the lake como area.

Advice for Chef Luigi: put your ego aside and get in the kitchen and actually pay attention to the food.
Note to Trip Advisor: This is an honest account of our experience. I have the receipts

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
chefluigi, Proprietario at Salice Blu, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Buonasera thank You for Your kind review, i Can belive You don't like The food Last night! I You eat all and You said very good to me and after You write This !
Probably in your first tripadvisor review You be to strong , like The there people like You make a review for The first time on This week for our restaurant , i Hope is not a reason only for The hight cost of our menù ! Or for a reason i can't think.
Next time leave a comment about The food You don't like just for improve to me and all The staff The correction to The wrong! I love do all my job, driver, Walter and chef because i'm The owner of This restaurant and i have 5 other Cook With me in The Kitchen !
Our shuttle is avalaible just soon i Can not Every 5 minute sorry for keep You wait
Have a nice tour fo italy
all The Best Chef Luigi
Austin
“Bad, bad, bad, comically bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Look- read the bad reviews- they all have nuances of our experience. We wanted to have a great meal like we always do when we go out.But it's bad. All of it. No real foodie would eat here, ours was all overcooked, dry, poorly seasoned, microwaved etc. My truffle dish was bad, truffles tasted like nothing, pasta tasted part boiled and boiled again. My fish was gross, small portioned, dried. -supposedly a medley of the 4 lake fishes- they looked like 4 bite sizes pieces of dry curled up fish. My girlfriend had tricolor ravioli with extraordinarily rubbery "buffalo mozzarella" and finished with the mushy asparagus swimming in oil dish.
We escaped as soon a we could (170€ later!!!), we asked for a cab to be called then the waiter said Luigi(chef and owner) would drive us back in 10 minutes. 20 minutes passed and he came wheeling out a rickety cart, that he hunched over, to the table behind us to present a fish baked in salt. (The whole thing was comical) We watched him present the fish, opening the salt etc and the man asked where the rest if the fish was, they had only given the diner and his wife half of the fish. He claimed it was a large fish "I buy 2 kilo fish and it's very large"- hardly. It was small and I have never,ever, seen only half a fish baked in salt. (And that was one of the most expensive items on the list) The effort is not nouveau cuisine highlighting explosive combination with fine or rare ingredients, rather-simple frugality. Avoiding all complimentary ride we sneaked out and started the long windy walk down home- only the have the waitress run out after us and promise Luigi would give us a ride home. We declined, wanting to wash our hands forever of this bad scene. Avoid. Promise you. Don't be tempted.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
chefluigi, Direttore vendite at Salice Blu, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Is The first time a table write me Two review for The same reason on Two different account i response With copy and paste!

Buonasera thank You for You kind review, i Can belive You don't like The food Last night! I You eat la and You said very good to me and after You write This !
Probably in your first tripadvisor review You be to strong , like The there people like You make a review for The first time on This week, i Hope is not a reason only for The hight cost of our menù !
Have a nice tour fo italy
all The Best Chef Luigi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Amazing risotto!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We had lunch here during our stay in Bellagio. It was very quiet when we were there, perhaps because it was a rainy afternoon. We happened to drive past and stop for lunch. My husband and i tried the risotto with truffle (dish for two) and it was one of the best risottos I have had. Our daughter has the pasta pomodore which was really tasty and super fresh.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere