Firstly, I cannot say enough about the Bergamo location - a beautiful old town with wonderful restaurants and bars; and, a great location from which to tour the northern lakes.
And the Hotel Piazza Vecchia ticks many of the boxes as a place to stay in Bergamo's Citta Alta:
- Perfect location in the old town, close to the main square
- good size, airy rooms, some with views/glimpses
- Relatively quiet - if you are not on the main street side
- Good bathroom
And the downsides:
- Like many others, we got lost trying to find the hotel in the old town. Partly our fault, but some better directions would be handy on the booking. A word of advice, don't plug address into your GPS - it can't cope with the old town position.
- No fridges in the "lesser" rooms (which we had). A little disappointing after buying some great cheeses, salumi and white wine to find this out when we we checked in. We were told that the more expensive rooms did, in fact, have fridges with mini bar. When we asked about this discrepancy, we were told that they used to have fridges in all rooms, but found that that those paying for the cheap rooms tended to to abscond without paying for mini bar usage. Curious response - surely they could just charge to the credit card if this was the case.
- As some others have mentioned service was patchy and sometimes unfriendly. There was a very friendly younger lady, but the older staff tended to be gruff and less helpful. Especially amusing was the older waiter who was a cross between Manuel from Fawlty Towers and Gomez Adams from the Adams Family - but less welcoming than either.
- A very average breakfast
All in all Hotel Piazza Vecchia probably doesn't quite provide the best value for what you pay - though there are very few other viable options for good accommodation in the Alta Citta, which probably explians the cost
So if you keep your expectations in check and just want a great position in the old town, then it's not a bad option - just not great.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.