“Excellent location,but” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Albergo Il Sole to your Saves list
Albergo Il Sole
Albergo Il Sole
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Bartolomeo Colleoni 1 | Piazza Vecchia, 24129 Bergamo, Italy   |
Ranked #19 of 34 hotels in Bergamo
England
“Excellent location,but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights at this Hotel and were perhaps unfortunate with the location of the room. I knew that there was no lift,but did not expect to have to go up2 flights of stairs,down another and up another to get to our room ! We were simply handed the keys at reception and left to fathom iy out. Our room was clean but I did not like the fact that the wash basin was in the rom and not in the bathroom,which was very small. Ok,we managed for 2 nights but would not have wanted longer. Room was also very small and dark. Very clean,and toiletries provided. As it is in such a good location in the very centre of Citta Alta the price was reasonable.
We had one Dinner in the restaurant and I can really recommend this,it was extremely good.Breakfast was expensive and not so good,so we went to cafe on the Piazza for our second morning.
Staff were courteous and efficient but not over friendly. Best of all was a young chambermaid who saw me struggling with my case as we were leaving and immediateley took it from me and carried it down for me and did not even pause long enough for a tip !
Do not miss the Funicular Cafe, great viewsgood snacks and very friendly staff.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Wash basin in bedroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

This hotel is right in the centre of the old town in Bergamo and is fantastic value for the location. The rooms are plain and basic but the bed was large and very comfortable. Breakfast wasn't included in price but is served in the (very good) restaurant downstairs if you want it. We preferred to try some of the many bars in the old town for our breakfasts.
We will certainly go again as we love Bergamo: it is the perfect place for a long weekend.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No bath
  • Tips/Secrets — Vineria Cozzi is a lovely place to eat.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Gallup, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

Hotel Sole was recommended by the tourist info office located just past the main square on the right in the Citta' Alta. The hotel is at the corner of the big square. I was travelling with my parents. Our room had beds to accomodate three, w/ armoires and reading lamps at the beds, a small dressing area, and a good size bathroom, with a large tub, which we rarely found in 3-4 Star hotels. I think we paid US$70, which was reasonable. With this you get to drive into the walled city and park about a short block away with parking pass. This initially seemed to be an issue but it was easy and the car was very safe.

The room was clean and the bathroom was also clean with big towels. Many of the towels we encountered in Italy were like large thick sheets that you can wrap around your body, as i saw another review complaining about the skimpy towels. I kinda liked this idea, especially for summer months. We didn't complain.

The best part of this hotel is the restaurant. We came down for dinner about 730pm, early by Italian standards, but after a day of travel and sightseeing it was time to sit and eat. The staff said, Eat here!. Very good suggestion. The restaurant had just a few tables seated when we arrived, was full when we left, and after a bit of a walk on the square we returned back to our room and found the restaurant AND the upstairs dining area/extra room packed with locals.
Our meals were great. The minesta was very simple and flavorful, very typical of northern italian food. My mum had the Pasta Pomodoro (tomato sauce). On first bite, she said, This is very good! The flavor was above/beyond the other pastas we ate along the way. We decided this dinner was one of our best meals in Italy. Granted, we're Italo-Americans, and mum is a great cook, so we know our food. They had a great dessert cart. The entire meal was elegant and very reasonable.

I give this hotel an A+ for the price and location, and the fact that it is a family run hotel. There is a lot to see in Bergamo Citta' Alta, but it can be done in a short day.

Please, someone find those Polenta pastries, seen in all the pastry shops, have a bite and email me and tell me what's inside. We saw them, planned to grab one after lunch out of total curiosity, then left town, never to see them again, and still very curious!
ciao!

• Liked — room clean, great food
  • Disliked — steps
  • Tips/Secrets — eat here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

My wife and mother in law very much liked the location on the edge of the lovely square with churches and cafes all around.
The hotel was fine, clean and friendly. We dont know who could find it otherwise!!
We have stayed there twice and will return in the future as a stop off on the way to explore the lakes.

• Stayed June 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2004

I stayed in this hotel 2 times and would never do it again. I had business in Bergamo and my hosts found it for me, but didn't know what it was like. Looks OK from the outside.

There is no elevator. The rooms were not very clean, bathrooms makeshift and tiny, towels skimpy and the second time I stayed, I was bitten by bed bugs.

There are 2 other hotels in Citta Alta, for about the same price, either of which is better than this one.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Albergo Il Sole? Share your experiences!