“Stay in Town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Vela Hotel

You added La Vela Hotel to your Saves list
La Vela Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Corso Nicolo Cuneo, 16038 Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy   |
Sydney, Australia
“Stay in Town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Amazing town. We absolutely loved it! We rented a scooter and explored all around. Such fun and great mix of nightlife and restaurants. Beach is ok, not very nice, but way more active and fun then Portofino.
Must go to Stella Restaurant at the top of the mountain. Nicest staff and BEST meal. Would definitely go back to Santa Margherita soon, but would prefer to stay in town. La Vela is up on hill and about 15 minute walk (and up hill!) from town. Rooms were quite old fashioned, clean, but not that nice. Requested ocean view room and did not get it. Great views from hotel, but would still prefer downtown.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Hotel is located in the hills above the town. Driveway to hotel is steep and winding and parking is minimal-probably 4-5 cars so may have to double park. We stayed in "annex" part of the hotel with no air conditioning but didn't need though it was in July. We opened the windows and let evening breeze in. Rustic furnishings and decor but that is what makes this hotel unique. Bed comfortable and room was quiet even with window open. Breakfast was great and staff friendly and helpful though not all spoke English well. View from roof deck was spectacular at night with plenty of seating. It's a 10 minute walk to train station and center of town. Stayed here two nights since we visited Cinque Terre by train one day. We look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: A room in annex part of hotel may be quieter than in the main part of hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a large room with an ocean view. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but not very modern (part of the style of the hotel) and the toiletries were very basic. The bed was comfortable with very firm pillows and the room had air conditioning, but it was not super strong. The hotel had free wi-fi, but it only worked in the lobby, which was not an issue for me. There was a free breakfast buffet every morning from 8-10am and the food was average. In terms of the location, it is an uphill walk from the center of town (up some steps), which we enjoyed very much. We had to take a cab with our luggage from the train station, which was 15 euros (for less than 5 minutes). Cabs are very expensive in the Riviera. Lastly, the front desk staff was not super friendly.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WashingtonDC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

La Vela lies outside the main tourist zone, about a ten minute walk uphill and stairs. We kind of enjoyed this, but it is not for everyone.

The hotel has marvelous views, a lovely breakfast room with great views, a nice lobby (where you will spend time if you want wifi.)

There is a "solar terrace" on the roof with great views. Could be wonderful but nothing has been done to it except for a few hard plastic lounge chairs. Very uninviting!

The staff are not friendly.

In general, the place projects a "take it or leave it" attitude. But since we booked late, we were happy to get it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I agree with many of the positive aspects of the other reviews listed. We had a marvelous experience and joyful stay here. Would stay again when going back to SML. Clean, Romantic, plenty of character and a very nice accomodating crew. Good job to all at LVH.

Room Tip: Take extra time to find out where it is located....maps etc. There is a critical side path (walk onl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I must admit that I booked this hotel because it's cool and special.

I spent the most time choosing a hotel for my 4-night stay in SML when compared with what I did for other places such as Munich, Bamberg, Salzburg & Innsbruck. There are lots of choices on internet. After elimination of those I could never afford, all others are more-or-less the same price, all have positive and negative comments, all claimed that they are within 15 mins from the SML train station. I picked this one solely because it's very special. I made this choice knowing that it is not at a very convenient location.

It's on a hill accessible with a narrow winding road as all reviewers mentioned. I requested a single sea-facing room as I booked directly at the hotel website and they accommodated my request. I was offered a room with a sunset seaview... very beautiful... Decorations at the lobby on the ground floor is unique for a hotel... I felt myself special too while I was walking at the staircase and sitting at the lobby. The inside of the room is like a normal hotel room, not very big but enough for me.

Breakfast is of very good quality. Price is reasonable. On the day I check out, I had to leave before the opening time of the restaurant, but the staff was very kind and he gave me some napkins so I can take two pieces of bread for my breakfast. The only one thing to mention is that water didn't drain properly at the shower...

There is a shortcut from the hotel to the city centre which is a long staircase... It's fast and easy to get down, but I couldn't never find the staircase when I tried to get back from the city centre to the hotel.. not even once... It's my problem... but overall speaking, the stay at this very special hotel made my trip more memorable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
CLeveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at La Vela Hotel and found the property to be a very special place. It is small, intimate, and very romantic. The room we had on the second floor had a gorgeous view of Santa Margherita. The room itself was comfortable, clean, with simple accomodations. There was satalitte tv, a/c, closet space, a fridge, and a comfy bed. The hotel is in the process of remodeling the room bathrooms so we had an older bathroom which i did not mind but others have been updated. There is breakfast served in the morning room and i recommend a cup of coffee in the back courtyard. I loved all the lush plants and flowers on the property too! Besides the lovely setting the owners, Livio and Leche were so warm and just a joy to chat with! We will return!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Vela Hotel? Share your experiences!