“Very disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars

Complimentary bottle of wine
switzerland
“Very disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We chose the hotel based on reviews we read on Trip Advisor and were very disappointed. We arrived at the hotel and were checked in with no smiles or words of welcome. Our "junior suite" was shabby and dirty, with sticky door handles and long, dark hairs in the tub. The bathroom was very dated and the towels were frayed. Really not what one would expect from a 4 star hotel. The outside grounds were very nice but did not make up for the room or the unfriendly staff. We could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
giovanni c, General Manager at Metropole, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Sirs,

we would like to thank you for taking your time to speak about your stay at the Hotel Metropole.
We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; the reviews of our many loyal and happy guests evidence our services and quality.
Though we respect your dissatisfaction, your review has been cause of surprise for us for the following reasons:

- We have had no complain regarding lack of cleanness; We train our staff to meet the highest standard of service and quality our Staff know that any Guest’s complain must immediately be reported to my attention as Hotel Proprietor and Gen. Manager and I personally assure my best attention to every single problem that the Guest should report during his stay.
It would have been my care to receive your personal feedback of your experience at Hotel Metropole and eventually activate in order to compensate any eventual inefficiency.

Our junior suites are top requested ; Guests always appreciate the wide, magnificent view of our park and of the bay and the double terrace. All the floor has been built only 9 years ago , not old..

Nevertheless I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations

We hope that we will have the opportunity to better serve you in the future.and in the meanwhile, please accept our best regards.

g.ciana
ow-man.

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Herzlia, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Metropol hotel for one night.

This is a very comfortable family run hotel,
Very easy to visit Portofino from the hotel and the front desk is very helpful in advise and providing maps.
Since we stayed only one night we didn't have much time to explore the beautiful grounds of the hotel but we did walk down to the hotel's cafe on the sea/beach to have coffee. This was great with excellent views.
The breakfast was the best we had in our entire holiday - just great!

Rooms are comfortable with a balcony.
We wanted a room with full sea view but these were all booked so we got a "side" room but this was ok too since we could sea the water and enjoy the views.

Service is outstanding and the front desk staff will go out of their way to help.
The parking is not an issue since the hotel has an adjacent private parking for a reasonable charge.
This hotel is definitely recommended and we will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a comfortable two day stay at this hotel. On the first day we walked to Portofino from the hotel with the maps provided by the front desk. The second day we took a train to Cinque Terre with bus schedules, maps and other literature provided by the hotel. We didn't spend much time on the grounds but we enjoyed their breakfast and the hotel has a lovely view of the ocean. The rooms are comfortable and we especially appreciated the slippers they provided. Also i will mention that we had a rental car for our trip and parking was not an issues at this Hotel. For a small fee, we parked on hotel premises and left the keys with the front desk in case they car needed to be moved, which they took care for us. Overall we had a pleasant experience at this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Great room. OK location right by the main street. If the windows are open, loud traffic, and if the tide is right, smells like fish. If the double paned double set of windows closed no noise at all. However, If windows are closed room gets stuffy and warm really fast. Air conditioner was not working. Called front desk and asked why it wasn't working. Do you know what his response was? Open the window. OK. Open the window at night while trying to sleep and hear the noise of the road and stench of the ocean. I am not one of those people who needs to be flattered when traveling. As long as I ask you to fix something or I have a complaint, all I want from the hotel is to address my issues. This was not even attempted. OK next time I am in the area I will make sure I stay at another hotel where I won't get an obnoxious response to my complaint. It probably wouldn't have been hard to flip a switch to turn the A/C unit on. If you have a great hotel in a prime location, but it is uncomfortable for you guests to get a descent rest, why even have the hotel. One other item. Free WiFi. No not really. Not when you can't get a signal in the room. Even the lobby where I had to go to connect to WiFi was warm and stuffy.

• Stayed April 2013
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had seen photos of the updated lobby furnishings and grounds of the hotel. Both looked very appealing so I decided to book 3 nights in late March. After I checked-in and was shown my room I knew I couldn't spend one night there. The bed was hard as a board, the old worn blue damask drapery were depressing, the rest of the furniture was uncomfortable and the view from the small window was non-existent. I spoke with the front desk and told them I could not stay in that room. At first they were not receptive to my dissatisfaction threatened to charge my credit card for 50% (penalty fee) of the reserved stay. Then offered to show me what they considered to be the best room accommodations in the house. The room was much bigger, had two lovely view balcony's, however the bed was still hard and was furnished with the same old, dated furniture and worn blue damask draperies. I paid an additional charge for the larger room, but felt trapped. It was either leave the hotel and pay a penalty fee of nearly 400 euros or pay a little more and stay put. The housekeeping staff, put folded blankets on the mattress to make it softer, but it really didn't help. The food was fair, yet the dining room staff were exceptional and very professional. The steam room never got hot enough and the floor was extremely slippery.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is preferable. It will allow you take in the view. Do not stay on the side of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
giovanni c, General Manager at Metropole, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Sirs,

Though we respect your dissatisfaction, we would like to provide our version of the facts:

- the room we originally put at your disposal was a 18 square meters one, with white Carrara marble bathroom and balcony overlooking the garden and sea situated in one of the most attractive position of the entire building, the second room one superior junior suite (that we understand you generally liked for his wideness , about 32 sq. metres + 20 sq. metres of total surface of the two terraces overlooking until the lighthouse of Portofino )
- The Guests’ satisfaction is our priority; we informed you that (as per contract with the Online Tour Operator) there would have been a penalty to pay in case of early departure but as you certainly would recognize, we provided all our best efforts in order to understand the reasons of your complaining and offer you an upgrade of the accommodation at lowers conditions that our price list. Normal price is 450,00 euro.
We never had before complains about the bed hardness but, as you also evidence, our housekeeping was immediately instructed in order to rend the bedding even more comfortable as it usually is.
- About the furniture: the chairs, the bed headboard and the writing desk are Chiavari style, hand made and with an important economical and artisan value; we found some of them even in pictures taken in American presidential Whitehouse !
The rest of the furniture is of rattan wood that can be hardly considered poor or generally uncomfortable.
We were pretty sure that you were appreciating our care and assistance, our positive response to all you doubts; we were also sure that you would understand that our aim was not simply charging a penalty and brutally “close the practice” but make our best to assure you a very enjoyable stay at Metropole .
Your thanking us sounded like your best response to our special care and this is why we felt particularly sorry (and also surprise !) when we read your partially negative review.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again n the future.and in the meanwhile, please accept our best regards.

Giovanni Ciana
own-man.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at this hotel in March after spending a few days in Cinqueterre. We traveled here by train from Riomaggiore. The hotel is located very conveniently less than 5 minutes walk from the train station. Its location is also great as it looks at the beautiful marina. We had a very nice room with a small balcony overlooking a stunning view of the entire bay. The hotel is not new but has all the needed amenities, and our room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was included and it was good and plentiful with good selection. The location is also great for walking into the nice shopping center and marina. Less then 5 minutes walk brings you to the bus station for taking the 10 min bus ride to Portofino, which I highly recommend.
Price was very reasonable at $80 and internet was free. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The only complaint I have of this hotel is.......I couldn't stay longer!!My wife and I stayed for five daya in April 2013 and it was fabulous.Although the weather wasn't kind,the staff and hotel facilities made for a pleasant stay.Great rooms and breakfast,the manicured grounds plus the magnificent views,were fantastic.Down for breakfast,back up to a neatly made room again.I would definitely come again.Cheers

Room Tip: Get a room up high facing the yacht club.Bellissimo!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Metropole? Share your experiences!