“Great Room Beautiful Grounds - One Rude Concierge Ruined It” 4 of 5 stars

You added Metropole to your Saves list
Metropole
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Pagana 2, 16038 Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy   |
San Francisco, California
“Great Room Beautiful Grounds - One Rude Concierge Ruined It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Great room. OK location right by the main street. If the windows are open, loud traffic, and if the tide is right, smells like fish. If the double paned double set of windows closed no noise at all. However, If windows are closed room gets stuffy and warm really fast. Air conditioner was not working. Called front desk and asked why it wasn't working. Do you know what his response was? Open the window. OK. Open the window at night while trying to sleep and hear the noise of the road and stench of the ocean. I am not one of those people who needs to be flattered when traveling. As long as I ask you to fix something or I have a complaint, all I want from the hotel is to address my issues. This was not even attempted. OK next time I am in the area I will make sure I stay at another hotel where I won't get an obnoxious response to my complaint. It probably wouldn't have been hard to flip a switch to turn the A/C unit on. If you have a great hotel in a prime location, but it is uncomfortable for you guests to get a descent rest, why even have the hotel. One other item. Free WiFi. No not really. Not when you can't get a signal in the room. Even the lobby where I had to go to connect to WiFi was warm and stuffy.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had seen photos of the updated lobby furnishings and grounds of the hotel. Both looked very appealing so I decided to book 3 nights in late March. After I checked-in and was shown my room I knew I couldn't spend one night there. The bed was hard as a board, the old worn blue damask drapery were depressing, the rest of the furniture was uncomfortable and the view from the small window was non-existent. I spoke with the front desk and told them I could not stay in that room. At first they were not receptive to my dissatisfaction threatened to charge my credit card for 50% (penalty fee) of the reserved stay. Then offered to show me what they considered to be the best room accommodations in the house. The room was much bigger, had two lovely view balcony's, however the bed was still hard and was furnished with the same old, dated furniture and worn blue damask draperies. I paid an additional charge for the larger room, but felt trapped. It was either leave the hotel and pay a penalty fee of nearly 400 euros or pay a little more and stay put. The housekeeping staff, put folded blankets on the mattress to make it softer, but it really didn't help. The food was fair, yet the dining room staff were exceptional and very professional. The steam room never got hot enough and the floor was extremely slippery.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is preferable. It will allow you take in the view. Do not stay on the side of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
giovanni c, General Manager at Metropole, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Sirs,

we would like to thank you for taking your time to speak about your stay at the Hotel Metropole.
We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; the reviews of our many loyal and happy guests evidence our services and quality.
Though we respect your dissatisfaction, we would like to provide our version of the facts:

- the room we originally put at your disposal was a 18 square meters one, with white Carrara marble bathroom and balcony overlooking the garden and sea situated in one of the most attractive position of the entire building, the second room one superior junior suite (that we understand you generally liked for his wideness , about 32 sq. metres + 20 sq. metres of total surface of the two terraces overlooking until the lighthouse of Portofino )
- The Guests’ satisfaction is our priority; we informed you that (as per contract with the Online Tour Operator) there would have been a penalty to pay in case of early departure but as you certainly would recognize, we provided all our best efforts in order to understand the reasons of your complaining and offer you an upgrade of the accommodation at lowers conditions that our price list. Normal price is 450,00 euro.
We never had before complains about the bed hardness but, as you also evidence, our housekeeping was immediately instructed in order to rend the bedding even more comfortable as it usually is.
- About the furniture: the chairs, the bed headboard and the writing desk are Chiavari style, hand made and with an important economical and artisan value; we found some of them even in pictures taken in American presidential Whitehouse !
The rest of the furniture is of rattan wood that can be hardly considered poor or generally uncomfortable.
We were pretty sure that you were appreciating our care and assistance, our positive response to all you doubts; we were also sure that you would understand that our aim was not simply charging a penalty and brutally “close the practice” but make our best to assure you a very enjoyable stay at Metropole .
Your thanking us sounded like your best response to our special care and this is why we felt particularly sorry (and also surprise !) when we read your partially negative review.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again n the future.and in the meanwhile, please accept our best regards.

Giovanni Ciana
own-man.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at this hotel in March after spending a few days in Cinqueterre. We traveled here by train from Riomaggiore. The hotel is located very conveniently less than 5 minutes walk from the train station. Its location is also great as it looks at the beautiful marina. We had a very nice room with a small balcony overlooking a stunning view of the entire bay. The hotel is not new but has all the needed amenities, and our room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was included and it was good and plentiful with good selection. The location is also great for walking into the nice shopping center and marina. Less then 5 minutes walk brings you to the bus station for taking the 10 min bus ride to Portofino, which I highly recommend.
Price was very reasonable at $80 and internet was free. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The only complaint I have of this hotel is.......I couldn't stay longer!!My wife and I stayed for five daya in April 2013 and it was fabulous.Although the weather wasn't kind,the staff and hotel facilities made for a pleasant stay.Great rooms and breakfast,the manicured grounds plus the magnificent views,were fantastic.Down for breakfast,back up to a neatly made room again.I would definitely come again.Cheers

Room Tip: Get a room up high facing the yacht club.Bellissimo!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. It is very close to the train station. Our room was right on the ocean. We opened our windows to the waves and view of the marina and ocean. The grounds were beautiful and kid friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room by the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a wonderfull experience in the Metropole Hotel, it was our first time and it did not dissappoint us. After a visit to Venice we decided to stay a few daws in Santa Margherita Ligure, so we booked this beautiful place with spectacular gardens. The Metropole is very charming, clean and comfortable. The location makes the hotel very easy, just 5 minutes to the to the train station and 10 minutes to the ferry to Portofino. In walking distance the town is very close so we could find nice places to make some shopping. The staff was very helpful with us and they could speak good english. We also used the gym.
We will love to visit the Metropole again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Arrived after 5 hour drive from Venice. Welcomed by friendly staff. Rooms for family were magnificent for the view and space. We booked the villa by the sea with view across city. The only down side was the smell of the entry to the villa which stayed for the 4 days we were there, but rooms were clean and tidy. Hotel has parking but also extremely close to the train station. This makes visiting the cinque terre also very easy. When we travelled the paths were closed, but normally can go to furtherest village and walk backwards to last and then jump on to train for return trip. Portofino also easy walk from here which makes for a lovely spot. Breakfast was included for our booking and the setting was lovely. We stayed in winter but the private beach and gardens in summer would be fantastic I suspect.

Room Tip: Book the villa which is separate to main hotel and has best views over the town.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Metropole? Share your experiences!