“A Grand Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Pagana 19, 16038 Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy   |
London, United Kingdom
“A Grand Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

This grand old hotel upholds the tradition of style, luxury and excellence that Italy has long been renowned for. The setting is magnificent, overlooking the sea and the town, and the spacious salons and terraces evoke a feeling of civilised life and the grand tour. Our bedrooms too were beautifully appointed and all aspects of house-keeping faultless. It was wonderful to slip into the deep but sheltered Ligurian sea from the private rocks, attended by professional beach men, who could tell you all about the changing winds or the geology of the cliffs. Dinner and breakfast had a refined yet relaxed formality and the multi-lingual Maitre was probably the most professional and charming we have ever encountered - a credit to the hotel, Italy and himself. It was further pleasing to note that the majority of staff were Italian, something that lesser hotels in Italy are struggling to maintain these days. All in all, to stay at the Imperiale was a great privilege, one I would recommend and one I hope to repeat myself one day.

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view for the best experience and on the upper floors of the hotel for best ov...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

The hotel is majestic and the dining rooms and terrace are just stunning. The hotel maintains its period features with modern amenities. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are clean and new. The private pool and the beach are accessed via the hotel's pedestrian bridge over the main road. The hotel is a very short walk down the hill from the main town centre. Breakfast in the morning on the terrace overlooking the bay is just breathtaking. They have a live cooking station along with buffet, which is more than most hotels in Europe. Staff are helpful and polite. On site parking is free which is a bonus.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

We stayed at the beautiful Imperiale Palace Hotel for a few nights as part of a 10 year anniversary break. The hotel itself is stunning, sat to the left of the bay of Santa Margerita Ligure with beautiful views over the town.

We really enjoyed our stay except for a few bug bears, which we felt let the experience down.
Firstly our room wasn't ready when we arrived. Reception first told us that they couldn't find a key then that other guests had it. They then took us to a junior suite (we had booked for the view) that had it's view obscured by a palm tree. So we declined that and said that we would wait for our room to be made ready.

We were then told this would take 45 mins to an hour and to enjoy the bar by the pool/sea and that they would call us. We ordered a ham and cheese sandwich, which when it arrived was like something i'd give to my children - white bread with no crusts and some crisps on the side. No something i'd expect from a 5-star hotel. We also ordered 2 OJ's and a beer. I thought this came to an acceptable €32 but it didn't. When I was emailed the bill it came to €68!!!

I understand i'm in a high end hotel and that prices are going to be higher but €68 or £52 for two rather poor andwiches and 3 drinks is obscene! I queried the bill i'd signed but seeing as I didn't have a copy I obviously didn't have a leg to stand on. Either way it's expensive.

We never did get a phone call to say our room was ready either.

The rest our our stay was lovely, the hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are courteous but not overly friendly. We only had one other issue, which was that our room wasn't cleaned when we came up for lunch, but soon after that it was spotless again.

We didn't eat in the restaurant as our sandwich experience put us off.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 3rd floor upwards if you want to avoid Palm trees blocking the stunning view.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

Wonderful hotel and great service. We stayed here for a week in August and was very impressed with the service and wonderful junior suites overlooking the sea. We eat in the restaurant every evening as we loved the food and service. My only disappointment was the walk down to the swimming pool I think my children counted 128 steps - to me it felt like 12800 walking back up with an armful of bags and books! however, there is a little van that will come and collect you so that was good. Loved Portofino town so quaint and pretty. Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: suites with Sea view and balcony
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2014

Great experience all around. The room and premises were regal, the views stunning and the service and food impeccable. While the building is noticeably old, it adds to the charm and everything was clean. I will definitely return. Rooms with sea view are a must, and we were able to view available rooms and pick our favorite.

Room Tip: Sea views are a must.
Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

This is a tricky one to judge as the Hotel itself is beautiful in a great location and the staff for the most part are very courteous and welcoming.

The reason I am giving it 3 stars is because of the prices of the food. I am not talking about the restaurant, I am taking about the bar food down by the pool and water. We has a lunch that consisted of two salads, a glass of prosecco and beer, one panacotta and two espressos which came to a total of €90!

I am no cheapskate but this was very cheeky as the salads were not out of this world. The other reason I am scoring this down is the price of cabs(which I know isn't directly related to the hotel) as they charge €20 to go to the train station which is a journey of 600mtrs or so!!

They caught me when we arrived but when returning to the train station I asked the lady at reception could we book a cab as our bags were extremely heavy. I asked her about the exorbitant rates and she more or less looked through me and said what can I do which she was probably right about but there is a way you deal with a customer and that wasn't it.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Bunbury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

Ours was a Sea view Classic room. Absolute quality. A view to the ocean for the few minutes we were in the room. Breakfast was superb with a wide range and staff very helpful. We enjoyed an evening meal on the balcony which again was outstanding. The staff in attendance again extremely helpful and attentive. There were not many people dining in as most appear to be in the main village area but one night eating at the hotel was very enjoyable and only around $60 euro more than when we dined in the village. While the beach and pool area were not on our agenda it appeared that those who were taking advantage of the facility were very happy and contented. The garden on the way to the beach is very nice. Staff at reception and when enjoying an evening drink prior to dinner were all very pleasant which is not something I can say is a normal scenario for many Italians we have encountered during the few weeks we gave been here. The room and bed was comfortable but the ensuite is extremely small in the Sea a View classic room. The towels were replaced morning and night and staff were cleaning the passages outside to rooms ongoing.
We were able to walk to the village, rail station and ferry in a few minutes and while dodging cars is the usual hazard in Italy there is no exception here. Parking is more than adequate.
Definitely a top experience.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Imperiale Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!