“Great location in center of Portofino-not a chic or hip hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Eden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Dritto, 18, 16034 Portofino, Italy   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
Yarmouth, Maine
“Great location in center of Portofino-not a chic or hip hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

For a good basic room, in the absolute center of the small town of Portofino, Hotel Eden performs. The hotel is abit dated and could use some renovations, but for the value and location, it's hard to beat. We were there two nights off season and were the only ones in the hotel one night. The Owner was pleasant and helped us figure our ferry schedule and continued to serve plenty of cappachinos to our coffee loving group. The crousants were the best we found the entire week, other breakfast selection was somewhat slim. There was a wireless hotspot (not sure if thru hotel), but with good signal in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!This summer I planned a vacation in Italy that started in Florence and Tuscany and continued through the Cinque Terre area and Portofino. I planned to stay a night in Portofino and found that the only relatively cheap hotel in the town is Hotel Eden- 220 EURO per night. I read the reviews and decided to book it anyway. I made the booking in May for a trip in the end of August. I believe I booked it on May 10-15 and I was planning on staying overnight in Portofino on August 26. I contacted the hotel directly and filled their reservation form with my credit card number. I received a confirmation e-mail and everything seemed to be great. However, a friend of mine recommended staying in Santa Margherita Liguria instead of Portofino because you can find a cheaper hotel with bigger qualities than Hotel Eden and anyway they are so closely located. So I booked a room in Santa Margherita Liguria at Hotel Jolanda (a tri star hotel, that I liked a lot). I immediately canceled the reservation at Hotel Eden (that is still back in May). I received a reply offering me to keep the reservation but pay 160EURO instead of the initial 220 EURO. I still decided to go on and cancel the reservation because the hotel Jolanda looked more attractive and was closer to the train station (as I was catching a train the next morning to Florence). I received a reply confirming the cancellation. However, I receive a statement from my credit card yesterday listing a charge of $326 from Hotel Eden for a stay at the hotel on August 26. The charge was of 220EURO @ 1.42 and a fee of almost $10 for the exchange. I was quite angry not only that I received a bill but that I was charged for the full amount. Is that how they make their money? I disputed the charge with my credit card company and sent a forward e-mail to Hotel Eden with our original correnspondence and informing them that the credit card company will contact them. I still haven't heard from them. I do understand that mistakes happen all the time but I was expecting at least an appology for the inconveniences I had to go through.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Portofino hotels

Zurich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

The Eden is not a five star hotel and for many travellers it might not be value for money.
However if you really want to stay in Portofino and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere in the evening, this might be the only place you can stay without going completely bankrupt.
Portofino is incredibly expensive so expect to pay the price for this special picturesque place.
The rooms at Hotel Eden are small but the bathrooms are renewed. And the best of all, the rates are about the same you get quoted in places further down the coast like in Rapallo, Santa Margharita or Sestri Levante. Only due to these circumstances I would recommed this hotel.

• Liked — price for the location
  • Disliked — quality of the establishment
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2007

Hotel Eden offered us a charming room with a view of the garden. The room was comfortable and had recently been tastfully remodeled, but in the morning we discovered our clothes and my wife's make up were covered with ants. Our neighbor in the next room had the same problem, but much worst... ants covering everything. Instead of taking care of the problem, the hotel's owner suggested that we probably brought the ants with us. This sort of response was unacceptable and a bit ridiculous. The rest of our stay was colored with his curt and dismissive attitude towards us, which tainted an otherwise delightful time.

• Disliked — Ants and unresponsive management
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
weedsport, new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

In July 2006, my husband and I made our first trip to France and Italy. Through Trip Advisor, I picked Hotel Eden in Portofino, Italy, and we wish our travel itinerary permitted us to stay another night or two. The Hotel Eden was clean, modern, in the center of beautiful Portofino, and reasonably priced. The Innkeeper was kind and helpful. If we ever return to the Italian Riviera, we will stay longer at Hotel Eden -- oh, by the way, parking is only a few steps away in a parking garage.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

Excellent experience. We stayed in room 7 for one night and would have loved to be able to stay another night but they were fully booked up. My wife really loved the place, which was a major bonus as she is only ever happy when shes in a five star hotel. Anyway the room was clean cosy and homely. The balcony sunny, the town lovely, picturesque, if pricey for shopping... get to the church at the top of the hill, you ll need to walk, or run if you fancy it...also the owner was very helpful with planning the rest of the trip, definitely a positive experience.

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

Overall view of this hotel is that it is clean and comfortable althought not great value for money compared with the rest of Italy. However, it should be said that Portofino is definately not a cheap place and therefore in this context it's actually not too bad a price. The big plus of this hotel is the owner who is always available, full of character and helpful advice. He also helped us carry our bags to the car in the pouring rain so top marks. The rooms are pretty basic but pleasant so I would recommend it overall.

Been to Hotel Eden? Share your experiences!