“Very well run hotel, but overrated and Portofino not that compelling” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Hotel Splendido

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Third Night
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
new york city
“Very well run hotel, but overrated and Portofino not that compelling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

On the strength of several years of top reviews from Andrew Harper, I felt compelled to fly out here to check out this property. I had a very nice suite 115 and it was as perfect as it needed to be with pretty decor and two nice terraces with a sea view. The famed view of the sea in my opinion is overrated, and nothing compared to what you would see in Ravello, Italy or a Reid's Palace in Madeira, Portugal. You don't see the port area from the hotel. I have trouble comprehending this place: It has a steady clientele of repeat visitors who simply love this place and keep coming back. Lots of Americans who feel this is the emblem of the Italy that they love even though I don't think any locals would frequent the hotel bar with the guy in the loud colored jackets singing tunes in the evenings which I thought was kinda cheesy. I found the food rather saucy and more like the Italian food that Americans want to eat rather than what northern Italians would actually enjoy. Dinner on the terrace: my fish was not well fileted, desserts were rather uninspired. Second night I ate at the sister hotel Mare at the port and the food there I thought was more genuinely Italian and better across the board. I did have lunch on the terrace which is a thing to do there; it was 80 Euro for pizza, water, a small plate of salad from the salad bar and an ice cream sundae which is probably the most expensive small lunch I ever had, but it was also some of the best pizza and ice cream sundae (great cream and berries) I've ever had, so in this case it was exceptional and deserving. This is a hotel where you might want to take half board if you are staying 2-3 nights because the menu prices are very expensive. The swimming pool is sea water; the gym is rather small and there is a dry sauna. I was expecting more facilities for an exceptional property. This whole Portofino looks like a place for paparazzi wanabees and people who want to feel they are in a jetsetting environment; I felt definitely at the mercy of the local taxi mafia who charge 150 Euro for a transfer to the airport whereas you can take a taxi from the center of Genoa (a few miles from the airport) to the hotel for 60 Euro. You can take a train into Genoa but they want 45 Euro just to take you 10 minutes to the train station. The hotel concierges seem very pleased to mark up the transportation and take cuts from this. To be fair, there are only 3 licensed taxi drivers in Portofino and the "season" is 4 months long so they want to make hay while the sun shines. I walked around town to cheaper hotels and found that everyone pays these inflated prices for airport taxi transfers so it is not just a matter of this hotel. After a day, you'll be yelling Ciao to Roberto in the town square (one of the 3 drivers). Switzerland might be a more expensive country but the localized ripoffs here actually make this place more expensive than what I paid earlier in the week in Switzerland. This hotel is very overpriced for what you get compared to other places; you're paying for the allure of Portofino. In my opinion, it's just not worth it and Portofino is not the end all and be all of Italy. If you really want to splurge in an exceptional place, you could do better elsewhere.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Save every penny/cent you can, and sell everything you possess if necessary, but try to spend at least one night of your life at the Slendido, with a view of the bay. You'll never regret it or forget it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LI, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed at the Mare down in the Portofino main plaza and not at the Splendido main hotel on to top of mountain. We were told we were going to be in the Splendido but when we checked in it was full and were put in the smaller part of hotel which was a more boutique place. we were at first disappointed but then decided either option was great as we had full use of the main facility and we took advantage of it but were closer to the action without being at the mercy of the shuttle at the Mare. Everyone was so accommodating and at the end of the day we feel we had a more intimate setting and felt like we were staying at someone's house rather than a big hotel. Staff was great and we ended the evenings drinking lemoncello with them around the piano bar area. would definitely recommend this property - either the Splendido for a more relaxing quiet environment or the Mare for younger travelers who want to be closer to the action and a real feel of being part of the family. Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Be specific when making reservations as to which hotel you want. I even called my travel agent and s...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

This is superb, as recommended by my late friend Michael Winner who was a regular guest. Food is outstanding, service on a different class to most ( akin the Ritz Paris). Have yet to venture to the sister property at the harbour to eat but also looks good when I walk pass. Get a Junior Suite the few € more is well worth it ! Without a doubt, the best property in the Orient Express Group - I have visited most.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Valletta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Excellent service, the staff was incredibly polite and helpful. My room was really nice and spacious. Highly recommended having lunch at the Chuflay restaurant overlooking the bay of Portofino, the food is superb. I will definitely stay again.
John

Gisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Wow, from the minute we arrived to the moment we left,it was breathtaking. We stay all over the world in the some of the finest 5 star hotels and I can honestly say that the level of service and friendliness at this hotel was something else. We came with very high expectations and they were certainly met and far exceeded! From the elegance of the rooms, the cleanliness of the resort, to the amazing food at La Terazza everything was just perfect. The evenings were spent being looked after by The wonderful Antonio and dancing to the wonderful pianist music.
Then after all this my husband was fortunate to have booked some tennis lessons with Flavio their on site coach. Again we have experienced many tennis coaches around the world and my husband found that he learnt more from Flavio in his two sessions with him than at any other time. It is worth coming back just for him!!! Hence our new reservation for 4 nights in September.
Paradise on earth

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for a room with sea view and balcony, if you like a bath tub specify this...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Ermes De Megni and his team always deliver the most impeccable service and quality in Portofino, the memories are so special and wonderful and this is the greatest hotel in the world.
Bedrooms are beautiful, food is delicious, flowers fragrant and staff are so kind and helpful. The housekeepers helped me pack my ties and my suits and the laundry came back perfectly pressed and ironed. The soap was wonderful too from Penhaligons and the amazing thing is the consistency. We came two years ago and now we will come every year for the rest of our lives as this was so incredible. Until the next time.....ciao

Room Tip: Book early and try and book a suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!