On the strength of several years of top reviews from Andrew Harper, I felt compelled to fly out here to check out this property. I had a very nice suite 115 and it was as perfect as it needed to be with pretty decor and two nice terraces with a sea view. The famed view of the sea in my opinion is overrated, and nothing compared to what you would see in Ravello, Italy or a Reid's Palace in Madeira, Portugal. You don't see the port area from the hotel. I have trouble comprehending this place: It has a steady clientele of repeat visitors who simply love this place and keep coming back. Lots of Americans who feel this is the emblem of the Italy that they love even though I don't think any locals would frequent the hotel bar with the guy in the loud colored jackets singing tunes in the evenings which I thought was kinda cheesy. I found the food rather saucy and more like the Italian food that Americans want to eat rather than what northern Italians would actually enjoy. Dinner on the terrace: my fish was not well fileted, desserts were rather uninspired. Second night I ate at the sister hotel Mare at the port and the food there I thought was more genuinely Italian and better across the board. I did have lunch on the terrace which is a thing to do there; it was 80 Euro for pizza, water, a small plate of salad from the salad bar and an ice cream sundae which is probably the most expensive small lunch I ever had, but it was also some of the best pizza and ice cream sundae (great cream and berries) I've ever had, so in this case it was exceptional and deserving. This is a hotel where you might want to take half board if you are staying 2-3 nights because the menu prices are very expensive. The swimming pool is sea water; the gym is rather small and there is a dry sauna. I was expecting more facilities for an exceptional property. This whole Portofino looks like a place for paparazzi wanabees and people who want to feel they are in a jetsetting environment; I felt definitely at the mercy of the local taxi mafia who charge 150 Euro for a transfer to the airport whereas you can take a taxi from the center of Genoa (a few miles from the airport) to the hotel for 60 Euro. You can take a train into Genoa but they want 45 Euro just to take you 10 minutes to the train station. The hotel concierges seem very pleased to mark up the transportation and take cuts from this. To be fair, there are only 3 licensed taxi drivers in Portofino and the "season" is 4 months long so they want to make hay while the sun shines. I walked around town to cheaper hotels and found that everyone pays these inflated prices for airport taxi transfers so it is not just a matter of this hotel. After a day, you'll be yelling Ciao to Roberto in the town square (one of the 3 drivers). Switzerland might be a more expensive country but the localized ripoffs here actually make this place more expensive than what I paid earlier in the week in Switzerland. This hotel is very overpriced for what you get compared to other places; you're paying for the allure of Portofino. In my opinion, it's just not worth it and Portofino is not the end all and be all of Italy. If you really want to splurge in an exceptional place, you could do better elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The view from the Hotel Splendido is absolutely breathtaking: you are surrounded by beautiful gardens and can gaze down upon the charming little harbour of Portofino. The hotel has just the right blend of beauty, style, comfort and service. Swim and sunbathe by the beautiful swimming-pool, pamper yourself at the Spa or treat yourself to gourmet meals at La Terrazza restaurant. If you look for unique experiences, enjoy a romantic sunset cruise with champagne on the hotel's private boat or try the olive oil tasting classes on the terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Belmond, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Belmond Hotel Splendido reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Splendido Hotel Portofino
- Splendido Resort Portofino
- Hotel Splendido Portofino