“Not worth it! Some services below 2star” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Third Night
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
“Not worth it! Some services below 2star”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went with my Wive and baby girl with a camper, to Italy with a 4 day stay for anniversary in splendido. My travel agent contacted them about off site parking for the camper since I knew roads are small. Was informed no problem via phone, worst case they would assist with traffic and parking manual.
On arrival I was told off by the valet parking guy in a tone and way that was beond rude for coming with camper. After getting to the room the concierge had the nerve to call me in the room to be father me about this once more.

Food was good.

Made a reservation on terrace for dinner with space for the pram, no call back for confirmation! On arrival we where told its not possible to sit on the terrace with minors under 5.

The phones of the spa and concierge are busy all of the time.

There where several over charges on the bill! They where corrected after questioning them! Check your bill in this place!!!

That they charge 2000 euro a night for this is beyond me! I feel stupid for staying in this mess...

I have no problem paying, but then I expect top service! Some services are not even 2 star in this place.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all let me thank you for your comments.
Attention to detail and personalised service are the foundations on which we have built throughout the years the success of the Splendido and, more generally speaking, of all our Hotels world -wide.
Therefore I am really sorry that some negative events have in some ways spoilt your stay with us.

In going into the matter the Parking Valet, when you arrived with a big van, just informed you about the fact that local authorities (it does not depend on us) do not allow , with no exception, the entrance on the road leading to Portofino to any van, car, minibus, camper over 6 mt. lenght.
The local Police is very strict on this and that's why our Staff was concerned that you could get fined. Our valet also offered you to park directly at the front of the Hotel and to take care of your van later on, trying to park it along the road leading to the Hotel, that, as you know, is really narrow (and not on an exclusive use for the Hotel) as well the parking space in front of the entrance.

Concerning the Restaurant I am very sorry but as per our Children Policy, clearly stated also on our web site, kids up to 5 years old are not allowed to eat at our Restaurants, La Terrazza and Chuflay Bar. But, when you arrived to the Restaurant our Restaurant Manager, of course informed you about the kids policy but as the same time offred you a table at the Restaurant inside where you had dinner with your Family. Also he opened the doors leading to the Terrace so that you could enjoy the Piano during Dinner.

I feel that despite everything we have done our best but of course if someone caused you and your Family any discomfort I deeply apologize.

Your comments have been all considered attentively and thank you for highlighting these to our attention. It is certanly through them, no matter whether positive or negative, that we can improve service and facilities.

I hope you will trust us again, and of course I am at your entire disposal for the future.

Best regards,

Portofino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

No doubt about it - this hotel is perfect, as it should be for the price. No other hotel in the area comes close, both for location (Portofino really is as dreamy as it looks) or service (this is simply one of the best hotels in Italy.) Didn't eat at the restaurant - word in the street was decent food but ridiculous prices so you might be better off at one of the waterfront eateries. PS I'd recommend agains the Splendido Mare - looked very nice but if you're spending all that money you might as well go for the real deal.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am now at the Hotel Splendido. It is my 12 th visit in 12 years. The hotel is the most beautiful hotel in the most beautiful place of anywhere I have travelled. That, combined with the fantastic personal service and exquisite dining on the terrace overlooking the stunning harbour makes for a combination that is almost impossible to beat. Only today I was caught in the rain whilst walking nearby. A staff member offered me a lift in his car back to the hotel which, I gratefully declined. Where else does that happen?
The short answer is that it would not happen much. Certainly it would not happen at business type hotels where the staff rarely if ever treat people other than as a number. Few people look happy at business hotels. They are forever, checking their personal computers and charging from one meeting or place to another. They do not relax or, if they do , it is not apparent . The Splendido offers a different world. The people who use trip advisor to make crtiscims of this hotel should take a reality check. What do they expect - upmarket luxury and service for nothing of very little? Andrew Marks, Melbourne Australia.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband & I chose this hotel for our wedding anniversary. We married in Oia, Santorini 2 years prior which is a magical place so our expectations were high. Overall, the hotel was great. I would describe it as 'old school glamour' beautiful location situated on the cliffside overlooking Portofino, lovely food and cocktails, room was nice size (not enough storage space though) but we had sea view with a rather long balcony which was lovely however,
Our room was directly situated above the restaurant and there was a very loud party of guests (american) making it diffucult to relax on the balcony because of the noise at lunch and again at dinner.
Alfresco dining proved difficult with wasps attacking you every second. Awful!
Breakfast I felt was very rushed
Fruit in room was not changed daily and day 3 we were left with mouldy apricots
Pool side service was not offered to us on day 1 which you would expect at a 5 * (very expensive hotel)
Awful smell where we were sunbathing (smelt of a septic tank)
Last night of our stay was upsetting to say the least given it was our wedding anniversary. We rang reception around 3pm to book the fine dining restaurant again as we loved it the first night we went but we were told (abruptly) they were busy and could not accommodate us at the time we wanted however, we were told if we just went down at 7:30pm anyway we would be looked after? This was not the case. We were basically ignored and ended up walking out after waiting 45 mins, grabbing the shuttle bus and eating at splendido mare where the service was great. We complained to concierge who agreed to waive our 2 drinks we had at the pre dinner drinks table as a gesture of good will. This didnt happen and they charged us for them at check out!

In short, our last night which was our anniversary was ruined by the unattentive staff at the fine dining restaurant. Also, i would like to point out that we observed exemplary service being offered to those clientele who were fortunate enough to be born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Class elitism in a hotel of this standing is not good. As a result we will not be returning. I have addressed my comments to the general manager of the hotel and I await his reply.

• Stayed September 2012
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Madame,

First of all I would like to thank you for your note shared wit the TA community and for your positive comments. I am indeed very sorry to read that your stay has been spoilt in some ways by a negative circumstance during Dinner the last night of your stay. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hotel Splendido we continuosly strive to meet Clients' needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurences. At the Restaurant for a misunderstanding between the Bar and the Restaurant Staff you have not been accommodated as required, for which I am really sorry.

Anyhow we really appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and we hope to welcoming you again soon,

Portofino
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is one of the top 5 hotels in which I've ever had the pleasure of staying! The sheets are sumptous, the spa is serene, the views are affecting, the Bvlgari toiletries are heaven and the service is flawless. I've been to both locations; the Splendido for lunch and I stayed at the Splendido Mare for a week with my mother and sister. To say we had perma-smiles throughout the trip would be an understatement. I want to revisit with my boyfriend, because while I enjoyed every single second, the setting is perfectly romantic and indulgent. Spring for the room with the best view of the port; it's so worth it to be able to watch the anchorage of all the luxury mega-yachts!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My property manager, Chris, told me before I left Australia: "When you're in Portofino, go to the Hotel Splendido. Have a gelato and a coffee there. It's so lovely." So, when we set foot on Portofino soil from the ferry, I told my wife that we were going to find the Splendido and do what Chris said.

After the obligatory schlep up to the old fort and schmooze around the shops, we had lunch at an unmemorable restaurant and saved our coffee and desert for the Splendido. I was looking forward to the treat.

Right in front of the corso stands the Splendido - prime Portofino real estate. That was a bad sign: the rule of avoiding revolving restaurants and restaurants on top of national monuments is built upon the bones of bad food and worse service. But everyone, actually everyone, we had met in Italy during our stay so far had been kind and generous, so why should it be different now? My guard was down and I entered Splendido expecting the best from people.

We chose a table. We took a seat. The waiter placed a menu in front of my wife and me. The menu offered gelato, which it extolled as being made by the establishment's chef. Yes! It wasn't just delivered in an ice-cream container! It was made right here! Wonderful! We had come to the right place!

I thanked the waiter politely and told him that we would like some of the aforementioned gelato and coffee. He answered, pointing to a gelateria across the corso as he swiped away the menus: "You can get gelato over there. This is a restaurant."

Not so splendid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

I have read your note and please let me express my sincere apologies for what have happened.
I hope you will visit us again in the future and have the opportunity to taste with you a typical Ligurian 'Paciugo' Ice Cream.
In any case I have to thank you since it's through the comments of our Guests, eventhough negative, that we have the opportunity to ameliorate our service.

Best regards from Portofino,

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I took my husband for lunch today. The terrace has fantastic views. I asked for a recommendation on the wine the first offering was sweet and was opened before it came to the table this however was swiftly changed for a lighter drier wine, which is what I'd asked for. My risotto was lovely however my husband's tomato and mozzarella salad was made with hard green tasteless tomatoes, when he mentioned this to the waiter he said they were a special variety! After clearing the table the waiter came back and started to lay it again infront of us for a main course he said he had forgotten we had eaten. We then got two lots of petit fours again because they forgot we had already had some. We waited for more than 30 minutes for the bill, husband had got fed up and walked off by this time, the staff said they hadnt brought the bill because he wasn't at the table and they don't give bills to ladies!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!