“Beautiful hotel and location however more attention given to clientele born with 'silver spoons in their mouths'” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Hotel Splendido

Complimentary Third Night
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portofino
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband & I chose this hotel for our wedding anniversary. We married in Oia, Santorini 2 years prior which is a magical place so our expectations were high. Overall, the hotel was great. I would describe it as 'old school glamour' beautiful location situated on the cliffside overlooking Portofino, lovely food and cocktails, room was nice size (not enough storage space though) but we had sea view with a rather long balcony which was lovely however,
Our room was directly situated above the restaurant and there was a very loud party of guests (american) making it diffucult to relax on the balcony because of the noise at lunch and again at dinner.
Alfresco dining proved difficult with wasps attacking you every second. Awful!
Breakfast I felt was very rushed
Fruit in room was not changed daily and day 3 we were left with mouldy apricots
Pool side service was not offered to us on day 1 which you would expect at a 5 * (very expensive hotel)
Awful smell where we were sunbathing (smelt of a septic tank)
Last night of our stay was upsetting to say the least given it was our wedding anniversary. We rang reception around 3pm to book the fine dining restaurant again as we loved it the first night we went but we were told (abruptly) they were busy and could not accommodate us at the time we wanted however, we were told if we just went down at 7:30pm anyway we would be looked after? This was not the case. We were basically ignored and ended up walking out after waiting 45 mins, grabbing the shuttle bus and eating at splendido mare where the service was great. We complained to concierge who agreed to waive our 2 drinks we had at the pre dinner drinks table as a gesture of good will. This didnt happen and they charged us for them at check out!

In short, our last night which was our anniversary was ruined by the unattentive staff at the fine dining restaurant. Also, i would like to point out that we observed exemplary service being offered to those clientele who were fortunate enough to be born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Class elitism in a hotel of this standing is not good. As a result we will not be returning. I have addressed my comments to the general manager of the hotel and I await his reply.

• Stayed September 2012
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Madame,

First of all I would like to thank you for your note shared wit the TA community and for your positive comments. I am indeed very sorry to read that your stay has been spoilt in some ways by a negative circumstance during Dinner the last night of your stay. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hotel Splendido we continuosly strive to meet Clients' needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurences. At the Restaurant for a misunderstanding between the Bar and the Restaurant Staff you have not been accommodated as required, for which I am really sorry.

Anyhow we really appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and we hope to welcoming you again soon,

Portofino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is one of the top 5 hotels in which I've ever had the pleasure of staying! The sheets are sumptous, the spa is serene, the views are affecting, the Bvlgari toiletries are heaven and the service is flawless. I've been to both locations; the Splendido for lunch and I stayed at the Splendido Mare for a week with my mother and sister. To say we had perma-smiles throughout the trip would be an understatement. I want to revisit with my boyfriend, because while I enjoyed every single second, the setting is perfectly romantic and indulgent. Spring for the room with the best view of the port; it's so worth it to be able to watch the anchorage of all the luxury mega-yachts!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My property manager, Chris, told me before I left Australia: "When you're in Portofino, go to the Hotel Splendido. Have a gelato and a coffee there. It's so lovely." So, when we set foot on Portofino soil from the ferry, I told my wife that we were going to find the Splendido and do what Chris said.

After the obligatory schlep up to the old fort and schmooze around the shops, we had lunch at an unmemorable restaurant and saved our coffee and desert for the Splendido. I was looking forward to the treat.

Right in front of the corso stands the Splendido - prime Portofino real estate. That was a bad sign: the rule of avoiding revolving restaurants and restaurants on top of national monuments is built upon the bones of bad food and worse service. But everyone, actually everyone, we had met in Italy during our stay so far had been kind and generous, so why should it be different now? My guard was down and I entered Splendido expecting the best from people.

We chose a table. We took a seat. The waiter placed a menu in front of my wife and me. The menu offered gelato, which it extolled as being made by the establishment's chef. Yes! It wasn't just delivered in an ice-cream container! It was made right here! Wonderful! We had come to the right place!

I thanked the waiter politely and told him that we would like some of the aforementioned gelato and coffee. He answered, pointing to a gelateria across the corso as he swiped away the menus: "You can get gelato over there. This is a restaurant."

Not so splendid.

Dear Sir,

I have read your note and please let me express my sincere apologies for what have happened.
I hope you will visit us again in the future and have the opportunity to taste with you a typical Ligurian 'Paciugo' Ice Cream.
In any case I have to thank you since it's through the comments of our Guests, eventhough negative, that we have the opportunity to ameliorate our service.

Best regards from Portofino,

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I took my husband for lunch today. The terrace has fantastic views. I asked for a recommendation on the wine the first offering was sweet and was opened before it came to the table this however was swiftly changed for a lighter drier wine, which is what I'd asked for. My risotto was lovely however my husband's tomato and mozzarella salad was made with hard green tasteless tomatoes, when he mentioned this to the waiter he said they were a special variety! After clearing the table the waiter came back and started to lay it again infront of us for a main course he said he had forgotten we had eaten. We then got two lots of petit fours again because they forgot we had already had some. We waited for more than 30 minutes for the bill, husband had got fed up and walked off by this time, the staff said they hadnt brought the bill because he wasn't at the table and they don't give bills to ladies!!!

Cheltenham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed 3 nights for our 30th wedding anniversary and as we always stay in 5 star hotels we didn't mind paying the price so long as we got tip top service. True, the rooms are small for a 5 star deluxe hotel, but the superb view makes up for that, and it was well equipped and clean (be sure to book one with a sea view and balcony)

Most of the staff were generally pleasant and friendly but as with other recent reviews I found one of the bar men unfriendly, the pool attendant rude (when I politely asked for two sunbeds on the terrace he said 'its Saturday we are very busy'! I was so surprised I didn't answer him but wish I had done), but the Maitre D Hotel really spoiled our anniversary evening as we had booked the hotel back in February and they knew it was our 30th when we went to the restaurant the waiter said the Maitre D had a 'lovely table especially for you' as there were many tables available for two people with the beautiful view I assumed one of these would have been reserved for us, but no I was almost manhandled to one in the middle of the restaurant. I politely protested and asked why I couldn't sit with the view and he said that this was 'a very nice table now please sit down' he was rude, if it hadn't been the occasion and after 8pm I would have walked out of the restaurant so I sat and tried to overcome my anger and disappointment. I am a very reasonable person and enjoy giving praise where it is due but I do not expect this in any hotel.

Also we were reminded on our travel documents and in the hotel room that dress is 'elegantly casual', so why was a man wearing a T shirt and flip flops for dinner on Saturday night ....and he got a great table !

There is no doubt the hotel has a lovely setting, the food was very good, the price is very high and if they expect people to recommend and /or return they will have to address some of these issues as it is unfortunate that one or two key staff are spoiling the experience when there are many others who were very nice .

Room Tip: Make sure you at least book a room with a sea view and a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all let me thank you for having chosen the Splendido to celebrate such a special occasion as your wedding anniversary. I am really sorry to hear that some of the Staff was not friendly.
I understand your disappointment, but since it did happen, for this, I can only ask to accept my sincere apologies. Attention to detail and personalised service are the foundations on which we have built, throughout the years, the success of the Splendido and, more generally speaking, of all our Hotels world-wide. I have therefore taken very seriously every point you mentioned. Thank you for informing us and sharing your comments with the TA community.
I hope in any case you will trust us again in the future and will visit us soon.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Nice hotel and fantastic food but that's what one would expect for EUR1,300 a night. No real issues with the property. Service was a little patchy, ranging from truly fantastic to absent minded. The crowd was very old, predictably so in hindsight. The only real negative were the wasps and there were swarms of them making alfresco dining a little awkward at times. The hotel informed me that it was the season but I have never seen so many wasps in one place before. Rooms very average for the price but hey this is Italy. Might come back in a couple of decades time. Worth 4 out of 5 but stayed in better places.

Room Tip: Get balcony
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to thank you because it is through all comments and suggestions of our Guests, no matter whether positive or negative, that we can improve our service and facilities.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced with wasps, and I understand your disappointment, but being the Splendido located in a Natural Park, we cannot do anything to solve the problem but just try to limit it. Bees are protected species and we cannot do anything else than trying to keep them away, but of course it's quite difficoult since we are in the middle of a national park (protected by Italian Law).

We thank you for your note shared with the TA community and we hope to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards from Portofino,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Spendido as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebration , at first all went well , beautiful room , nice reception and welcome , the weather was wonderful and the view from our balcony was just breath taking , Fantastic ..... then it went downhill.
The Barman ( apparently he owns the place or he thinks he does !!!) was so obnoxious and off hand from the outset , when I asked him for a restaurant menu he waved his hand and told me to go see the Maitre d' Hotel !!! , the restaurant manager was no more accommodating and almost gave a groan as he gave us the menu when we asked what the speciality of the house was , he muttered " its all good , just choose " not helpful or very welcoming .
We ordered some drinks at the table and a bottle of mineral water appeared without us ordering it ! which when we asked the waiter why , he just looked bemused , we asked him to take it away and he said something to one of his colleagues in Italian which they both found hilarious.

We decided to eat at the Mare in Portofino the next evening , what a difference , it rally was a world apart , great friendly staff who enjoyed their job and performed with claire and care , the atmosphere was electrifying with wonderful views of the Harbour.

we ate there every night , bar one when we met friends who had moored a yacht in the harbour and booked a table at the Speldido for dinner as a "Treat" for us.

Needless to say the arrogant and dismissive barman was true to form , the waiters where off hand and the Maitre D' Hotel was as surly and un welcoming as before .

However apart from this , the hotel is exquisite , the food in both hotels is superb , the accommodation and service in the room was superb ( especially the breakfast )

would I go back , NO

Room Tip: Make sure you get a balcony room its worth every penny extra
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Madame/Sir,

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and sincerely thank you for sharing your comments with the TA Community.
We are equally satisfied that your overall experience with us was very positive. We always strive to achieve high levels of standards in service and quality of product. Your comments will encourage us to do better as a Team in the future.

Of course I am very sorry if someone of our Staff has in anyway offended you, the Barman and the Restaurant Manager are working with us since many years, therefore I am really sorry for what have happended, and that your stay has been spoilt by this negative circumstance. I perfectly understand your disappointment, and for this, I can only ask you to accept my sincere apologies.

I am here at your entire disposal for any further assistence you may need. Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime, I hope despite everything, you will trust us again in the future.

Best regards,

Portofino

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!