My husband & I chose this hotel for our wedding anniversary. We married in Oia, Santorini 2 years prior which is a magical place so our expectations were high. Overall, the hotel was great. I would describe it as 'old school glamour' beautiful location situated on the cliffside overlooking Portofino, lovely food and cocktails, room was nice size (not enough storage space though) but we had sea view with a rather long balcony which was lovely however,
Our room was directly situated above the restaurant and there was a very loud party of guests (american) making it diffucult to relax on the balcony because of the noise at lunch and again at dinner.
Alfresco dining proved difficult with wasps attacking you every second. Awful!
Breakfast I felt was very rushed
Fruit in room was not changed daily and day 3 we were left with mouldy apricots
Pool side service was not offered to us on day 1 which you would expect at a 5 * (very expensive hotel)
Awful smell where we were sunbathing (smelt of a septic tank)
Last night of our stay was upsetting to say the least given it was our wedding anniversary. We rang reception around 3pm to book the fine dining restaurant again as we loved it the first night we went but we were told (abruptly) they were busy and could not accommodate us at the time we wanted however, we were told if we just went down at 7:30pm anyway we would be looked after? This was not the case. We were basically ignored and ended up walking out after waiting 45 mins, grabbing the shuttle bus and eating at splendido mare where the service was great. We complained to concierge who agreed to waive our 2 drinks we had at the pre dinner drinks table as a gesture of good will. This didnt happen and they charged us for them at check out!
In short, our last night which was our anniversary was ruined by the unattentive staff at the fine dining restaurant. Also, i would like to point out that we observed exemplary service being offered to those clientele who were fortunate enough to be born with a silver spoon in their mouths. Class elitism in a hotel of this standing is not good. As a result we will not be returning. I have addressed my comments to the general manager of the hotel and I await his reply.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The view from the Hotel Splendido is absolutely breathtaking: you are surrounded by beautiful gardens and can gaze down upon the charming little harbour of Portofino. The hotel has just the right blend of beauty, style, comfort and service. Swim and sunbathe by the beautiful swimming-pool, pamper yourself at the Spa or treat yourself to gourmet meals at La Terrazza restaurant. If you look for unique experiences, enjoy a romantic sunset cruise with champagne on the hotel's private boat or try the olive oil tasting classes on the terrace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Belmond, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com and Booking.com so you can book your Belmond Hotel Splendido reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Splendido Hotel Portofino
- Splendido Resort Portofino
- Hotel Splendido Portofino