“Beware, tiny rooms!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
Chicago, Illinois
“Beware, tiny rooms!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My One Hotel is an interesting place.

First, the standard rooms are EXTREMELY small. We were a bit mislead by the website thinking this place had a lot more charm than it actually did. Our standard room was just way too small for comfort. We asked for a bigger room and they were filled for a couple of days. We had booked for three nights and on the third night, we got a junior suite that offered an extra office-type work area with a small table and two chairs. This was much more manageable. The color scheme of the hotel is very drab and depressing, including the rooms. However, the rooms were very clean and the bathrooms, while tiny, were also spotless.

Second, the hotel service is outstanding! They were all very friendly to the numerous requests we had. They went out of their way, all the time, to help us out.

Third, the breakfast buffet is included in your room rate and it done very well. You get a great selection of cereals, meats, cheeses, and fruit plus the standard fair of eggs and croissants. I would skip the eggs...they looked packaged. The staff will easily make any guest fresh cappuccino just for asking!

Fourth. The hotel located about a 15 minute walk from the train station and is a bit hard to find. It is also located not too far from the docks.

If you want a budget hotel with minimal amenities, great service, a wonderful breakfast buffet, and don't mind staying in a shoebox, this is it. Finally, Internet service is very spotty.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The location is good, 10 mins walk from the station and easy access to Cinque Terre but you will need to take a taxi with your luggage unless you are a fit person travelling light. Staff were friendly, Reception and Austrian waitress and coffee waiter at breakfast in particular. There is free wi-fi for any device.
But, and reason for a lower star rating, the bed was so firm and so uncomfortable, the worst I have unfortunately slept on. The room size was reasonable but the air conditioning didn't get cool enough. The bathroom was tiny with the smallest shower I've seen. Seriously if you are a shall we say large person, you will not physically fit in the shower, the entry is so narrow. You are given one small soap bar a day unless you ask for more.
The breakfast was hit and miss. One day there were no eggs and bacon left and we'd finished eating by the time the next supply was cooked but they looked good. Meanwhile we had the basic cereal, rolls and cheese and there were some lovely croissants and slices to enjoy. The next day the scrambled eggs were burnt, the croissants were burnt, totally black on top but still put out. There were no slices either. A huge difference in quality between the two days.
The better restaurants and shops are towards the harbour away from the train station.
The location isn't easy to find, hotel is on a mall so the taxi journey by road is longer and about 14 Euros. If you can walk, it's 10 mins, go down to the roundabout from the station, walk over the first right (and see the laundrette if you need to use one), over the next right exit and into the mall via Fiume, keep straight on the mall as it becomes via del Prione, go past a tank on the left hand side and there's a sign to the hotel, turn left into the side street, then right and left to the hotel, press the bell next to Reception for access into the building, you're at the entrance on level 0, go up to Reception on level 5.
Although the Cinque Terre villages are gorgeous, for us it was a lot easier staying in La Spezia and taking the train around rather than staying in one of the quaint villages and having to take suitcases on and off the trains, usually involving lots of stairs at the station, and then to a hotel uphill and up more steps. Depends on your age, level of fitness and size of suitcase, a small carry on would be no problem.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Masterton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights and were very pleased. It was a welcome change to stay in a modern hotel as we had been staying in older buildings. The staff were very friendly & efficient, the room was clean and a good size and the buffet breakfast was excellent. The hotel is about 15mins walk from the train station but one word of advice, don't walk up via Septembre route as this is quite an uphill climb. When you come out of the train station, turn left and walk 250m to the Piazza S Bon, go straight ahead on via Fiume and keep going until you get to via Independenza on your left, there is a sign to My One Hotel (backdoor) or get the elevator up to via Septembre. I would recommend this hotel and the price was reasonable.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel was clean, the beds could use some work as they were hard as bricks. We happened to arrive when the elevator was out of service (reception is on the 5th floor and we were on the 3rd floor.) The manager helped us down the stairs with our bags. Lisolette at the front desk was SO helpful to our many questions. We drove to La Spezia and were lucky to get one of the 5 parking places in front of the hotel. We were going to drive to Cinque Terre but she explained that the train or ferry was much easier and we wouldn't loose our parking space. After all of our stays in Italy, this had the most helpful service and more than made up for any issues in the hotel. They are lucky to have such a dedicated staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Advantages:
1- The staff is so friendly, they do all the best to make you feel comfortable. This was highlighted through very fast delivery of Laundry, adding extra items to the breakfast to suit my diet as I requested. They give you valuable advice when you ask about trips and transportation. The phone set was fixed immediately upon report.
2- Very close to La Spezia Centrale (The train station)
3- Located downtown so you can easily get access to the downtown (Generally La Spezia is a small town)
4- Most importantly: Free WIFI access for as many devices as you have in the room or anywhere inside the hotel.
Disadvantages:
1- The breakfast is very poor with very limited choices and it is repeated daily.
2- Room view is awful (I was in the 5th floor)
3- The lift was down for two complete days.
4- The walls are not well acoustically insulated, I could hear what is happening in the surrounding rooms or in the corridor.
5- Room service Takes the soap from the bathroom tub but doesn't replace it except upon request.
6- Lunch or dinner is not served at all even with payment.
7- Generally it is a small hotel with limited facilities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The clean was clean, big and nice. Front desk staff seemed not tourist friendly and presumed I know everything surrounding (in reality, I was the first time there). The breakfast was poor and there was very little choices available. The waitress seemed tired of serving and gave you a long face when asking for coffee.
I stayed in 2nd floor and housekeeping staff were very noisy (shouting, chatting and joking) when they started their work around 8 am.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ocala, FLorida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Between Helen in the morning, making the complementary breakfast brighter and more pleasant and Liselotte in the evening moving seamlessly between concierge, front desk and problem solver, My One Hotel in La Spezia becomes a home away from home. The hotel itself is a nice property located within a mile of the train station, with all the modern amenities. But these two are exceptional.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to My One Hotel La Spezia? Share your experiences!