“Hard as nails” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in La Spezia
London, United Kingdom
“Hard as nails”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I booked this hotel as I was attending a concert nearby and wanted something that looked safe, clean and comfortable.

Admittedly I had difficulty finding something to book, but My One Hotel had an offer £62 instead of £175... the photo's looked good and the price seemed good in comparison to the other accommodations available in the same price range.

Arriving at the hotel I had difficulty parking, the road leading up to and from the hotel is about a mile long I would think and I couldn't find a single space, it's a one way road so for every journey up there not finding a space I was having to do a 3 mile round trip to get back onto the same road (which is one way).

Eventually I found a space which was pay and display from 8am to 8pm and made my way into the hotel (I had my mum and dog with me) we were greeted by the friendly staff so seemed to all be bilingual.

The Check-in was pretty simple and straight forward.

The hotel lobby looked very minimalist and 'shiny', although it did look nicer in the photo's than in real life not that that should really have much impact on mine or your stay.

I was handed the key card to my room and jumped into the lift/elevator, normally I would check the room number off the paper card simply because I'm trying to do a few things at once and often miss the number when a receptionist says it. Realising the room number wasn't written onto the card in all our fluster with rushing after the parking fiasco and so forth but all was fine we did have the correct room number - the only point here really was that writing the room number on the card would be pretty useful.

The room was quite small but with a large double bed as well as a table with a tv on and enough room to put a laptop, make up etc on, there was also a mini fridge with drinks and a waffer bar in I only found it as we were leaving but didn't notice any price lists for it. The bathroom was clean with a shower and a few useful amenities.

I only had time to put my bags in the room before we needed to go on to the concert venue.

We came back to the hotel around 3am and again had difficulty parking, we ended up having to park in what seemed to be a no park zone. We mentioned this to the guy on reception who told us they have a parking garage which we could use for €15... no one had mentioned this earlier to us but we were happy we could park up without any worry of getting a ticket. We were in the process of sorting it out when he mentioned it would only fit small cars in, we have a large 4X4 so couldn't use the parking facility in the end... The guy on reception was quite helpful however and told us that the car would be fine where it was but we'd need to move it by 8am.

By the time we'd sorted or not sorted the parking out we were pretty tired and went straight to bed. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in, I try to be fair in my reviews and wanted to say something nice about the bed but honestly I couldn't... it was like sleeping on a hard table with a sheet on top and to add to that the bathroom seemed to have some stale water in it which would waft over the room every so often smelling of something best described as 'really bad breath'.

So between the hard bed, stench and not to mention the thin top sheet I probably had about 3-4 hours of broken sleep.

Overall I'm not sure how to sum up this review, I was only here for a concert and providing I have a safe roof over my head I'm generally happy but I will just say this the staff were very friendly and can't really be faulted, unfortunately the bed was so uncomfortable that I can't even fathom the idea of anyone paying the full £175 to stay here.

I would say stay here if there's a good price offer but really anything above £60 right now I don't think would be worth it.

*We didn't go out in the town area itself but it seemed to be well located

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Handy central location. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms average, whilst clean there was a damp smell in the bathroom. Because of its position, the views range from limited to depressing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel was very comfortable and fresh and modern. The dining area was a little small at breakfast with all guests. The hotel has two entrances, one at the front is up a hill, which when we walked from the train station it was a long walk up a steep hill. The 'back' entrance, is accessed from the street level of the main shopping area. The rooms were comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Great location, superb breakfast buffet! Service was great, hotel staff are very helpful. Great place to make ur base to go to the Cinque Terre and Pisa, etc.

Room was very clean and they even upgraded us to a junior suite for no charge!

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

It's in the best position we found to visit Versilia and 5 Terre.
It is in the main center of the city, full of nice restaurants and bars, the hotel had very nice and big room. The hotel is very clean, the breackfast include a continental menu, you must try the scramble eggs!
The hotel staff is very professional and friendly. Always ready to help you with a smile.
As I finished the Tea bags, it has been not a problem to have more. Just ask.

Room Tip: Rooms up to the 4th floor have more hot water pressure.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ramsey, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Although clean and reasonably well situated, the hotel utterly lacks character. While the front desk staff was helpful, the manager of the property was patronizing and unaccommodating. We were also denied the complimentary continental breakfast, although iw was included in our Expedia booking.

Room Tip: Higher-floor rooms may get more natural light.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in August to visit Cique Terra. Very clean, modern, big room, staff were very friendly & helpful, was afraid from the Air condition not to be working as i read some reviewer had a bad experience with it BUT is was working very well and we had to turn it off some times and increase the temperature sometimes also because it was cold inside the room where it was super hot outside, 10 min. from the ferry and 15 min from the train station ... great location.
The breakfast was simple and they were using one container/bowl for the meet + cheese , meet + eggs instead of separate them thats the only thing i can complain about ... it didnt privent me to rate it excellent as we enjoyed staying there so much and strongly recommended.

Room Tip: we stayed at 304
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to My One Hotel La Spezia? Share your experiences!