“OK hotel but poor location (if you want to go to Cinque Terre)” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Corallo
Via Francesco Crispi 32, 19100 La Spezia, Italy   |
Ranked #11 of 22 hotels in La Spezia
Stockholm, Sweden
“OK hotel but poor location (if you want to go to Cinque Terre)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

We stayed at Corallo because all the hotels in Cinque Terre were full. The room was fine, breakfast and hotel as well but the staff were a little strange and not that helpful. Instead of informing about breakfast, WiFi etc on arrival we had to ask them about everything.

The location was not good, but we knew that before booking.
I recommend the boats to Cinque Terre. They are closer than the train station. They cost more of course, but you get to see the villages from the sea.

If you can, stay in Cinque Terre instead of La Spezia! There is not much to see in La Spezia.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hobart, Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Great little three star hotel in the Centre of La Spezia, 10 min walk from the boats to the cinque terre and 12min walk from the old centre of town. The hotel is well signed and pretty easy to find. Room and bathroom were pretty small and spartan but clean and tidy and up to date. Reception staff was friendly. Breakfast was on par with many other Italian hotels of a similar standard ie (dry bread and pastries, some hams and cheese, yogurts etc. a nice touch was the coffee freshly made from the espresso machine), in other words the breakfast is ok but it won't blow your sock off and definately isn't up to the standard of big hotel breakfast buffets. Parking is available at E18 per day, which is on par with the on street parking fees.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

My wife took ill in Siena, but we needed to move on to La Spezia, and the Cinque Terre. Hospital visits on a daily basis required we stay in La Spezia much longer than intended. We were unbooked here, and stumbled on the Hotel Corallo. I admit there was some noise, but not intrusive, and the accomodation was more than acceptable. The front of house staff were pleasant, helpful, and spoke excellent English, fortunately for my wife and I, with little Italian. The house keeper assisted my wife in many small ways, and spoke excellent English, so she was a real treasure. Management arranged an extended stay, although booked with American Tour Groups, and generally, put themslves out for us. I have no hesitation in recommending the Corallo. An added bonus was the garaging. Great, and very central to most tourist things.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
not in europe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

rooms were a tad noisy for me. stayed in rio maggiore previously, and found it hard to get accom anywhere else. it was clean, but the also last on the list of choices.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Northampton UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

First thing...if you're in La Spezia, you're probably there for the walking and the 'easy' Cinque Terre walk (and probably, most of the others) begins with a short train ride from the train station. Get to the station early...it's a madhouse for the 10.10 train ! The Corallo is about 25 minutes walk from the station. It is an easy flat walk through the pleasant pedestrianised town, but you may want to take a taxi, particularly if with luggage. (3 persons with luggage was E9 and one without was E6). So you may want something nearer the station. On the other hand, it is within 75 m of the tree-lined promenade, from where you can get ferries to the Cinque Terre and Portovenere and there is a supermarket about 40m distant (although disguised as a cinema !).
Reception staff were friendly and spoke sufficient English (one had spent 4 yrs in England). Guests were fairly international, including many Italian and German (plus a number of Norwegians when we visited). The multi-national element is evident from some of the reviews. Most seemed to be there for the excellent walking. The hotel was actually fully booked when we were there at the end of May, and it was not a public holiday !
Rooms were of an average 3 star standard. the bathroom was the usual and rooms seemed to be cleaned adequately. Breakfast was the usual continental served in an 'underground' area which was fairly cramped, although this led to a friendly atmosphere amongst the various guests.
(dubbed bun-fight at the OK Corallo). There was an open-air breakfast area, but it is completely surrounded by three large apartment buildings so was not really private, although partially shielded by an awning. In fact this area was not in use during our brief stay, except for evening use by guests having a quiet drink together in the evening (bringing in their own duty-free alcohol !)
Breakfast was the 'usual continental'.
Room was the usual, no balcony, looked over road but had a/c so we were abl to close window for quitness at night. bathroom was Ok but strange smell if left with window closed all night.
A few mosquitoes about but electric killer left in room seemed fairly effective.
There was a small lounge area (about 8 seats) on the first floor but no other guest area that I saw. There is no restaurant, but we were recommended the Lanterna around the corner...OK for reasonably priced Pizza etc. Resist the temptation to eat at the cafe next door to the hotel.
I can amplify a previous point concerning car-parking. Although we had no car, a prominent front-desk notice stated a daily charge of E18.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Hotel Corallo in La Spezia. We wanted to visit the Cinqueterre region of Italy and were unable to find the right accomodations. Either too remote or too expensive. The Corallo was a gamble, but turned out to be worth it.
La Spezia is a great "home base" for Cinqueterre visitors. The train station has several trains an hour heading towards those towns. Keep in mind that this is not a bustling metropolis. We had to wait quite a while for a taxi when we arrived by train.
Upon check-in we were shown to a sparse, but spacious room on the second floor. Please note there is no elevator that we saw. Our room did have doors to a patio with chairs. View not worth mentioning, but nice to be able to go outside. Bathroom was large by Italian hotel standards with enclosed shower.
The staff was all extremely helpful, especially the attendant in the evening. He provided restaurant reccomendations and info on the Cinqueterre. He told us which bus to take to get to the train station for our excursions. They even made suggestions for other places to visit in the area. Breakfast was excellent with homemade filled croissants, proscuitto and breads. You are able to get a choice of coffee drinks (we suggest the cappuchino).
Another thing to keep in mind about La Spezia is that the town shuts down early. Many stores close at 5pm, and restaurants don't stay open very late. We had trouble one night while looking for something open after 9pm. The main square has a gelato bar, but don't expect to be a night owl.
Hotel was only 95 Euro a night for our stay on an Italian holiday weekend. Definately worth the price for a clean, quiet hotel. Great staff and location!

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

I had the occasion to stay in this hotel in December 2004. I was driving north from Rome and needed a place to stay with a garage, since my car was loaded with several items that I did not want to move. The garage is excellent. I was given a room on the first floor: rather Spartan, but functional. Around 11:30, as things grew quiet (I had asked for a quiet room), I fell asleep. I then woke up at about ten past two, wondering what was up. I heard banging and voices: maybe just a group returning from a bar crawl. Twenty minutes later, the noise continued unabated and I went forth to investigate. On coming to reception, the night porter tells me that I am just above the bakery and they have just started work. Oh, joy! At this point, knowing that my night’s sleep will not resume in this room, I get ready to leave, telling the attendant that I am willing to pay for the Garage, but not the room. I suggest to him that he comes to hear the noise, but he refuses, saying that he knows well how much noise is being made and that he understands that I cannot sleep. He offers to let me go (not even paying the garage) or to try another room. I look at this other room, which appears a step up from my late Spartan accommodation, and ask him what the cost of changing would be. He insists that it will be the same as my previous room. Considering the fact that I am dressed and ready to go, I weigh up the situation, finally settling for the new room, primarily because I have about a ten-hour drive to reach home. I finally fall asleep a second time and wake up in the morning. After breakfast, included in the room rate, I go to pay my bill, only to be told by a new attendant that it will be more than 50% more. I explain what I was told and this is brushed aside. I suggest he calls the night porter, which he does, only to tell me that the night porter confirmed the higher rate for the new room. Wow! This time I threaten to call the police, which I probably should have done at 2:30 am. After being threatened with not being able to recover my personal belongings, the attendant begrudgingly accepts the original room rate. I pay him and leave, promising that I will tell my tale.
The person, purported to be the owner, is a consummate liar: more interested in money than in anything else. There is very little concern for customer satisfaction. An unpleasant experience, I can assure you. À éviter, dans la mesure du possible.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Corallo? Share your experiences!