“Great Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at Hotel Corallo in La Spezia. We wanted to visit the Cinqueterre region of Italy and were unable to find the right accomodations. Either too remote or too expensive. The Corallo was a gamble, but turned out to be worth it.
La Spezia is a great "home base" for Cinqueterre visitors. The train station has several trains an hour heading towards those towns. Keep in mind that this is not a bustling metropolis. We had to wait quite a while for a taxi when we arrived by train.
Upon check-in we were shown to a sparse, but spacious room on the second floor. Please note there is no elevator that we saw. Our room did have doors to a patio with chairs. View not worth mentioning, but nice to be able to go outside. Bathroom was large by Italian hotel standards with enclosed shower.
The staff was all extremely helpful, especially the attendant in the evening. He provided restaurant reccomendations and info on the Cinqueterre. He told us which bus to take to get to the train station for our excursions. They even made suggestions for other places to visit in the area. Breakfast was excellent with homemade filled croissants, proscuitto and breads. You are able to get a choice of coffee drinks (we suggest the cappuchino).
Another thing to keep in mind about La Spezia is that the town shuts down early. Many stores close at 5pm, and restaurants don't stay open very late. We had trouble one night while looking for something open after 9pm. The main square has a gelato bar, but don't expect to be a night owl.
Hotel was only 95 Euro a night for our stay on an Italian holiday weekend. Definately worth the price for a clean, quiet hotel. Great staff and location!

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

I had the occasion to stay in this hotel in December 2004. I was driving north from Rome and needed a place to stay with a garage, since my car was loaded with several items that I did not want to move. The garage is excellent. I was given a room on the first floor: rather Spartan, but functional. Around 11:30, as things grew quiet (I had asked for a quiet room), I fell asleep. I then woke up at about ten past two, wondering what was up. I heard banging and voices: maybe just a group returning from a bar crawl. Twenty minutes later, the noise continued unabated and I went forth to investigate. On coming to reception, the night porter tells me that I am just above the bakery and they have just started work. Oh, joy! At this point, knowing that my night’s sleep will not resume in this room, I get ready to leave, telling the attendant that I am willing to pay for the Garage, but not the room. I suggest to him that he comes to hear the noise, but he refuses, saying that he knows well how much noise is being made and that he understands that I cannot sleep. He offers to let me go (not even paying the garage) or to try another room. I look at this other room, which appears a step up from my late Spartan accommodation, and ask him what the cost of changing would be. He insists that it will be the same as my previous room. Considering the fact that I am dressed and ready to go, I weigh up the situation, finally settling for the new room, primarily because I have about a ten-hour drive to reach home. I finally fall asleep a second time and wake up in the morning. After breakfast, included in the room rate, I go to pay my bill, only to be told by a new attendant that it will be more than 50% more. I explain what I was told and this is brushed aside. I suggest he calls the night porter, which he does, only to tell me that the night porter confirmed the higher rate for the new room. Wow! This time I threaten to call the police, which I probably should have done at 2:30 am. After being threatened with not being able to recover my personal belongings, the attendant begrudgingly accepts the original room rate. I pay him and leave, promising that I will tell my tale.
The person, purported to be the owner, is a consummate liar: more interested in money than in anything else. There is very little concern for customer satisfaction. An unpleasant experience, I can assure you. À éviter, dans la mesure du possible.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business