“Unusual experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
A TripAdvisor Member
“Unusual experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

I had the occasion to stay in this hotel in December 2004. I was driving north from Rome and needed a place to stay with a garage, since my car was loaded with several items that I did not want to move. The garage is excellent. I was given a room on the first floor: rather Spartan, but functional. Around 11:30, as things grew quiet (I had asked for a quiet room), I fell asleep. I then woke up at about ten past two, wondering what was up. I heard banging and voices: maybe just a group returning from a bar crawl. Twenty minutes later, the noise continued unabated and I went forth to investigate. On coming to reception, the night porter tells me that I am just above the bakery and they have just started work. Oh, joy! At this point, knowing that my night’s sleep will not resume in this room, I get ready to leave, telling the attendant that I am willing to pay for the Garage, but not the room. I suggest to him that he comes to hear the noise, but he refuses, saying that he knows well how much noise is being made and that he understands that I cannot sleep. He offers to let me go (not even paying the garage) or to try another room. I look at this other room, which appears a step up from my late Spartan accommodation, and ask him what the cost of changing would be. He insists that it will be the same as my previous room. Considering the fact that I am dressed and ready to go, I weigh up the situation, finally settling for the new room, primarily because I have about a ten-hour drive to reach home. I finally fall asleep a second time and wake up in the morning. After breakfast, included in the room rate, I go to pay my bill, only to be told by a new attendant that it will be more than 50% more. I explain what I was told and this is brushed aside. I suggest he calls the night porter, which he does, only to tell me that the night porter confirmed the higher rate for the new room. Wow! This time I threaten to call the police, which I probably should have done at 2:30 am. After being threatened with not being able to recover my personal belongings, the attendant begrudgingly accepts the original room rate. I pay him and leave, promising that I will tell my tale.
The person, purported to be the owner, is a consummate liar: more interested in money than in anything else. There is very little concern for customer satisfaction. An unpleasant experience, I can assure you. À éviter, dans la mesure du possible.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)

Been to Hotel Corallo? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel Corallo

Address: Via Francesco Crispi 32, 19100 La Spezia, Italy
Location: Italy > Liguria > Province of La Spezia > La Spezia
Free Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Corallo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Corallo La Spezia
Corallo Hotel La Spezia

If you own or manage Hotel Corallo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.