“Only if its the last room near the Cinque Terre - which it was for us” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mary

You added Mary to your Saves list
Mary
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Fiume 177, 19100 La Spezia, Italy   |
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
london
“Only if its the last room near the Cinque Terre - which it was for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Location is good for the train station, however arriving there in the evening, it may make you feel uncomfortable if travelling alone. We had little or no interaction with the member of staff at reception other than handing over a credit card to pay for the room before we had even seen the room!

Breakfast - there was plenty, as long as you like mediocre croissants, stale cornflakes, fruit flies and an exploding coffee machine. Stayed in many hotels in Italy in a similiar price range and this breakfast was extremely disappointing.

On the other hand the room was clean and available at very short notice. And if all you want is a base to explore the Cinque Terre by train it is adequate. We checked out after one night and booked into another hotel in LA Spezia.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Saskatoon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

The hotel itself was ok, the area around the train station was a little uncomfortable for a solo female traveler. The front desk staff was fairly friendly, two of them spoke a small amount of english. The room was clean. The hotel is quite literaly across the street from the train station, the window in my room was looking straight at it. Despite the close proximity to the trains the room was quiet. Could be a decent place to explore Cinque Terre from.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The location of this hotel is good, a few minutes walk to the main railway station. It takes approximately 15 minutes to walk to the port, where you can catch a boat to visit the Cinque Terre.

If you want to spend time in a hotel, I wouldn’t suggest this one. Rooms are basic, but clean and of a relatively reasonable size.

As far as I could tell when I was staying there, the restaurant was unavailable, even though there were signs stating a restaurant was available. Breakfast is very basic compared to the other hotels in Italy I’ve stayed in.

The owners are quite friendly and were accommodating when I asked for a room not facing the main street so it was quieter.

I would recommend this hotel, only for its location though. If you want something with more character and comfort I wouldn’t recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

We stayed two nights at Mary in La Spezia. The hotel staff are so friendly and the location is great - 2 mins walk from the train station, so it is a great base to Cinque Terre. However, for the price we paid, thought it was pretty average. The breakfast was simple and included. Thought the hotel was pretty run down. Our bathroom (we had room 301) did not drain properly, which is a pet peeve of mine! Our bathroom light also wasn't working one night and so the hotel staff had to replace it which was inconvenient, but they responded and resolved promptly (these things happen I guess).

I was quite cold in the room and couldn't work out how to turn up the heat, instead I discovered some extra blankets in the cupboard (not sure if they were clean, appeared not to be).

Internet was available for free.

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Hotel was quite old
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

Stayed here for 2 days with the purpose of visiting Cinque Terra. The hotel is close to the train station and I would not mind staying in La Spezia again for a Cinque Terra visit, however it will most likely not be at this hotel.

If you are carrying a lot of luggage there are 2 ways to get to the hotel, either down the not so fun steps or the longer route, down the hill around the block.

As a precursor, I don't consider myself a germaphobe. For a triple the room was a decent size. What turned me off from the hotel were the bed sheets, the comforter was not clean. The flat sheets were clean or at least they seemed clean but after being cautious of sitting on the comforter my sensors were up. Let me say the bathroom was okay and I never saw a bug running around. The bed was not comfortable either.

The hotel staff was kind and the breakfast croissant was really good. However, for a decent priced last minute hotel it just passed the test. I would want to stay at a cleaner hotel where I felt more comfortable walking around with no shoes on and putting my head on the pillow. The peace of mind is worth it.

• Liked — location, croissants
  • Disliked — hotel room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night so that we could go to the Cinque Terre and it was a great location! Literally a two-minute walk to the train station and 9 minute train ride to Riomaggiore in Cinque Terre. We had a HUGE room and had a wonderful stay. The breakfast was nice--we got fresh croissaints in the morning and there were cereals, fresh yogurt w/fruit topping, and breads.

It was a very quick, but comfortable stay and the staff was very helpful and accommodating. If we return to Cinque Terre, we would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Great location, nice sized room
  • Disliked — that we were only there for one night
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

This is a great find if you visit the area around La Spezia. A friendly family owned complex where they treat you like family. The breakfast is ok. Rooms are nice and cozy. The hotel is directly across from the train station yet there is not as much noise as many have stated in previous reviews. Overall this was one of the best hotels we stayed in during our trip.

• Liked — Just the best find we had in our trip this year
  • Disliked — We had to go home
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mary? Share your experiences!