“Small, dated room with friendly staff. Stay if needed.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Nella
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Genova 591, 19134 La Spezia, Italy   |
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in La Spezia
Sydney, Australia
“Small, dated room with friendly staff. Stay if needed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Hotel Nella is a reasonable hotel. We had two rooms - one was a regular rooms that we would rate as middle-of-the-road (nice way of saying average) and the other one well...I couldn't call it anything less than a tarted-up broom closet.

Looking at the good aspects of the hotel, we found the staff very friendly and helpful with all requests. This includes the breakfast staff who provide a pretty good breakfast and make proper Italian coffee for you. That was a bonus given our late arrival the night before.

Furthermore, the Wi-Fi Internet was quite fast so for any heavy work (video conferencing, etc) this was excellent. There is also quite a large secure car park across the road. The security is simply a boom gate that manages ingress and egress however at least you're car will be there in the morning.

The regular room was reasonably sized and the beds were okay to sleep on. Many rooms have a balcony and some have a better perspective and balcony equipment than others.
Unfortunately, onto the no-so-good aspects of the hotel. There were a couple of rooms that (as I said) looked like tarted-up broom closets. They had two single beds with a small bathroom and small window. The average rooms we found to be a little dated and the bathrooms was small there as well.

If we visited La Spezia again, I would stay at Hotel Nella if there was nothing else available or if I was just passing through (as we did this time) but I certainly wouldn't stay for any length of time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We were welcomed by a lovely lady who showed us to our rooms despite the late hour. Car was parked opposite the hotel in a private parking lot & we were ready to get some rest. However, we could a couple from somewhere in the hotel murming & talking for an hour which kept us awake. Apart from this, the couple that travelled with us slept on two single beds, one was slanting downwards & the other not so comfortable. We were fortunate to be given the room with the double bed & balcony. Breakfast was plentiful with coffee or hot beverages made by staff & the location was up on a bit of a hill away from any sort of commotion.

• Stayed August 2013
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Up in the mountains, not far from downtown, this beautiful hotel was a perfect place to stay. We were able to book a standard room for ourselves (clean, large and comfortable) as well as an economy size room (small, which we knew ahead of time, but workable) for our 2 boys, 11 and 15. Balcony rooms are also available, but cannot be booked on all websites. (Contact the hotel.) The price was excellent for the area and the breakfast was impressive (homemade cappuccino, meat, cheese pastries, etc.) In addition, the best pizza we had in Italy was found across the street in a local bar.

The owner manned the desk upon our arrival, helping us plan our day to Cinque Terre. (He speaks perfect English and French- In fact, most of the customers during our stay were French) He also stored our luggage. The remaining women who minds the desk was also EXTREMELY helpful to us when we couldn't find our hotel for the next evening. She really went out of her way and we are forever in her debt.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the location, despite the distance from La Spezia, was to his liking.

All of us are more than happy to help our guests feels at home and not just customers in a hotel; we know how important it is for you to have all the infomation in order to enjoy the best all our area.

Thank you again for choosing us and I hope to be able to have you back soon as our guests
Vicenza, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I live in Italy and were fortunate enough to have her mother come in for a month or two. While she was here we finally had a chance to get away for our 7th anniversary. My wife and I looked and looked for a place at the last minute....and she finally got tired of looking and picked Hotel Nella.

The hotel was an amazing value and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were small...but only to someone who has not lived in Europe (the hotel rooms generally are small in Europe).

I liked the town that the hotel was in very much. We drove to the hotel so we had more freedom and not constrained by the lack of not having a car.

The bed in the room where we stayed was decent...at first we were worried as it was two twins put together to make a full. However, it was fine--especially how tired we were every night. Not a five star bed.

I will say that there is great food in the area. We went to a restaurant in a town called Caste that had this little restaurant in which I have finally found food that out does Olive Garden. The lasagna there was amazing and would drive there again just to taste the fine and rich texture of the amazing dish (name is not is not important as it is the only restaurant in the town of Caste....yes, go up the stairs; it looks and sounds like someone's home but it is the restaurant). Across the street there is a old pizzeria that is informal and clean with satisfying food. After hiking the hills if cinque terra you will enjoy the quiet sanctity of the area around the hotel....you will be tired.

Nightlife is not near that I could tell, but the pizzeria across the street has decent wine and provides a good setting for nice conversation with the spouse.

I would really enjoy going there again. There is no better value or location--in my opinion--depending on your transportation assets.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

No problems with the property, the staff, the rooms and the restaurants near it. Only problem is that the busses and trains around cinque terra don't sync back to hotel nella. You must be back at the hotel by 7.30 or you need to get a taxi, so people on a budget need to be wary.
Great views of la spezia and overall very nice, with excellent wifi

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was a little mad at myself initially for booking a hotel that seemed to be so far out of town. It's not really in La Spezia, rather in a little village called La Foce which is about 4Km away. However, there is an absolutely breathtaking view of La Spezia, and the hotel is pretty well-served by buses during the day, which makes it easy enough to get to La Spezia or Cinque Terre. A cab ride into town is about 12 Euros. I even walked to town once, and this was quite pleasant and took less than an hour--though I wouldn't have walked back so readily, as it's uphill all the way. So what I'm saying is, don't let the location put you off necessarily. It's really a charming, quiet place.

There is a FANTASTIC pizzeria & bar just across the street, also a trattoria just around the corner which we didn't try because the pizza was so good! There's a tobacconist where you can buy bus tickets, reasonable bottles of wine, etc. And that's about it for La Foce! We were on our honeymoon, though, and found the seclusion rather nice after the hustle and bustle of larger cities.

Front desk staff (we met two) were warm, helpful and spoke solid English (not to mention French, and of course Italian.) They provided bus schedules, information about trails, and conversation. We were very impressed with the staff!

The room was very small, this is my only real niggling. I know most Euro rooms are small but this was exceptionally so; you almost had to turn sideways to squeeze around the bed. I barely fit in the shower and I'm an average-sized man...not the end of the world, but just be prepared! It was quite clean, on the other hand, and the bed was comfortable.

The lobby is spacious and nicely-appointed with plenty of places to visit with your party.

Breakfast is outstanding and really sets this place apart. There is a real espresso machine, and a real person will make you a real coffee! None of that automated machine nastiness. There were several fresh, delicious pastries, a small selection of tasty meats and cheeses, and hard-boiled eggs. This is easily the best continental breakfast I've had.

Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, May 28, 2013

I am very sorry that the room and shower were not big enough, unfortunately we have not yet completed the work of modernizing the structure and it is for this reason that we have diversified the offer of rooms in Economy and Standard and specifying precisely that the Economy one is a smaller room with a small private bathroom.

Only two years ago I became the owner of the hotel and, believe me, I understand very well how important the room size and it is on this particular "problem" that I focus my work. It will be my first goal to make all our rooms modern and complete.

Thank you again for choosing us and hoping to be able to have you back soon as our guests

Regards
Worksop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We arrived following a long and harrowing journey to a beautiful hotel set in the mountains, an idyllic setting overlooking the bay of La Spezia in the district of La Foce. This is a perfect place to visit Cinque Terra and Porto Venere as well as La Spezia itself..
Daniel , the host, Christina and Valentina speak very good English and were extremely helpful with information re public transportation etc.
Breakfast was varied with cheeses, meats, cereals and fruits accompanied with tea, coffee and juices. The fresh bread and preserves or boiled eggs compliment the pastries and cakes available.
The room (20) was large and airy with double aspect and a good sized en-suite and spotlessly clean. Furnishings were of a good standard and the bed comfortable. Secure parking was a bonus. Local buses stop only yards away to La Spezia where you can take further buses or trains further afield.

We would recommend this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nella? Share your experiences!