“A little remote, but charming and a great value” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Nella
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Genova 591, 19134 La Spezia, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 22 hotels in La Spezia
San Diego, California
“A little remote, but charming and a great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was a little mad at myself initially for booking a hotel that seemed to be so far out of town. It's not really in La Spezia, rather in a little village called La Foce which is about 4Km away. However, there is an absolutely breathtaking view of La Spezia, and the hotel is pretty well-served by buses during the day, which makes it easy enough to get to La Spezia or Cinque Terre. A cab ride into town is about 12 Euros. I even walked to town once, and this was quite pleasant and took less than an hour--though I wouldn't have walked back so readily, as it's uphill all the way. So what I'm saying is, don't let the location put you off necessarily. It's really a charming, quiet place.

There is a FANTASTIC pizzeria & bar just across the street, also a trattoria just around the corner which we didn't try because the pizza was so good! There's a tobacconist where you can buy bus tickets, reasonable bottles of wine, etc. And that's about it for La Foce! We were on our honeymoon, though, and found the seclusion rather nice after the hustle and bustle of larger cities.

Front desk staff (we met two) were warm, helpful and spoke solid English (not to mention French, and of course Italian.) They provided bus schedules, information about trails, and conversation. We were very impressed with the staff!

The room was very small, this is my only real niggling. I know most Euro rooms are small but this was exceptionally so; you almost had to turn sideways to squeeze around the bed. I barely fit in the shower and I'm an average-sized man...not the end of the world, but just be prepared! It was quite clean, on the other hand, and the bed was comfortable.

The lobby is spacious and nicely-appointed with plenty of places to visit with your party.

Breakfast is outstanding and really sets this place apart. There is a real espresso machine, and a real person will make you a real coffee! None of that automated machine nastiness. There were several fresh, delicious pastries, a small selection of tasty meats and cheeses, and hard-boiled eggs. This is easily the best continental breakfast I've had.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the location, despite the distance from La Spezia, was to his liking.

I am very sorry that the room and shower were not big enough, unfortunately we have not yet completed the work of modernizing the structure and it is for this reason that we have diversified the offer of rooms in Economy and Standard and specifying precisely that the Economy one is a smaller room with a small private bathroom.

Only two years ago I became the owner of the hotel and, believe me, I understand very well how important the room size and it is on this particular "problem" that I focus my work. It will be my first goal to make all our rooms modern and complete.

Thank you again for choosing us and hoping to be able to have you back soon as our guests

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Worksop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We arrived following a long and harrowing journey to a beautiful hotel set in the mountains, an idyllic setting overlooking the bay of La Spezia in the district of La Foce. This is a perfect place to visit Cinque Terra and Porto Venere as well as La Spezia itself..
Daniel , the host, Christina and Valentina speak very good English and were extremely helpful with information re public transportation etc.
Breakfast was varied with cheeses, meats, cereals and fruits accompanied with tea, coffee and juices. The fresh bread and preserves or boiled eggs compliment the pastries and cakes available.
The room (20) was large and airy with double aspect and a good sized en-suite and spotlessly clean. Furnishings were of a good standard and the bed comfortable. Secure parking was a bonus. Local buses stop only yards away to La Spezia where you can take further buses or trains further afield.

We would recommend this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Milton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had 1 night at this hotel. It is outside of the town of La Spezia and there are lovely views of the area in you walk a short distance.
Our room had a balcony and looked out to the countryside.
The room is small but perfectly fine.
The owner is really friendly and speaks very good english.
He recommended a place for supper within walking distance.
Breakfast was good and plenty of it.
We would certainly book in here if we were in the area.
The owner told us where to park, free of charge to enable to catch the train to the Cinque Terre area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I'm glad you had a good time in our hotel, it was a pleasure having you as guest in my hotel.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay; it's always a pleasure to help my guests to organize their days in the area and I'm really happy when they appreciate my advices.

Hope you came back soon to visit us

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had an outstanding stay at Hotel Nella. The owner and host Daniel could not have been more helpful and he has a wealth of knowledge on the area and is only too happy to share - I suggest you use this to help you enjoy your stay.
The hotel is well located if you have a Car, it is a short drive into La Spezia (parking for Cinque Terre Train) and an easy drive to Portovenere.
They also make the best breakfast that we have had while in Italy - great variety with many cereals, bread, eggs, meats and facility to have toasted sandwiches. Daniel also makes a pretty good Cappuccino.
Value was great at 65 Euro per night.
Highly Recommended

Room Tip: We had room 9, with a nice balcony and away from the main corner of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniele M, Proprietario at Hotel Nella, responded to this review, April 11, 2013

it was a pleasure having you as guest in my hotel.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay; it's always a pleasure to help my guests to organize their days in the area and I'm really happy when they appreciate my advice.

I hope your trip is proceding well

Hoping one day to have you back as guests in my hotel

Padova
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The staff at Hotel Nella is extremely helpful and are multi-lingual.

The vehicle that I rented had a leaking tire, and they took the time to recommend and call a tire shop that was located just down the hill in La Spezia.

The area is quiet at night and, even if you don't have a car, it is easy to take the bus to the train station to get to Cinque Terre.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies. Try to get a room near the center of the hotel for the strongest internet...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is located right outside La Spezia from where you can easily visit the towns of Cinque Terre. La Spezia itself is just a 5 minute drive and from there you can go to the Cinque Terre towns by train or boat.

The hotel itself is nice, it has a nice parking facility across the street. The staff is incredible, they will help you with anything and there english is quite good (which is rare in Italy).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This family run establishment is quaint but 2 star at best. Having said that, I did give it an average rating because the staff tried so darned hard to please and make our stay better. The problem is that they are working with an outdated facility.

The location also seems far away from anything too. We were on our way to the Cinque Terre so that was fine.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Nella? Share your experiences!