We stayed at the Hotel Firenze e Continentale for three nights in the summer of 2012. Key to our decision on where to stay in La Spezia was proximity to the train station – not only were we arriving off the back of a long train journey (and would be embarking on another once we left), but we also wanted to make the journey to the Cinque Terre as hassle free as possible so we could minimise the time spent getting around and maximise the both the time spent on the trail.
Hotel Firenze e Continentale is a winner in this respect, and I imagine most people dropping in on La Spezia do so with the intention of visiting the Cinque Terre, so its quite an important box to tick. Hotel Firenze is literally 50m or so from the station. Despite this proximity, the hotel is set a little way down a hill and manages to miss the bulk of the noise from the railway – perfect.
In terms of the hotel itself, Hotel Firenze is simple – but nice. The bed was comfortable enough, and the bathroom was small but clean. The TV is tiny, but then you’re not there to watch TV, are you? Breakfast was really well done – great, fresh food served in a nice setting on the top floor. The breakfast room also has a balcony with a fantastic view over one of the quieter parts of La Spezia and the service was brilliant. All in all a really nice, simple stay.
The lift is tiny (only fits two average sized people at a time), which is a bit of a nightmare when it comes to checking in and checking out. You’re restricted to heading up/down one person with one bag at a time. Every so often some idiot will try to squeeze in more luggage than the lift can handle, and the whole thing will shut down. This happened on the day we checked out and meant we had to carry a fair few extremely heavy suitcases and bags down via the stairwell from the top floor one by one, which took about four journeys up and down. My advice – try and get a room on the first couple of floors just in case.
Wi-fi is available for free in the foyer and at an extra cost in the rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- he 3 star Hotel Firenze and Continentale in La Spezia dates back to the beginning of the last century and is today one of the premier luxury accommodations in this historical city that sits just at the foot of the Cinque Terre National Park.The elegant building's aristocratic feel is accentuated with quality decor, furnishings and other thoughtful complements including Carrara marble floors, Trompe l'Oeil murals, Mogano boiseries and hand beaten iron and brass lamps.A top quality 3 star hotel located in the historical city centre of La Spezia, the Hotel Firenze and Continentale is just a few short steps from the newly pedestrianized heart of the town and close to La Spezia Centrale train station, making for quick and easy connections to the Cinque Terre in a couple of minutes.Having undergone regular renovation since the first part of the 20th century, the Firenze and Continentale La Spezia is now regarded as one of the finest accommodations in the city while still maintaining the building’s original architectural identity - typified by that liberty style grandeur of the pre-WWI era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Firenze e Continentale La Spezia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Firenze e Continentale Hotel
- Firenze e Continentale La Spezia