“Enjoyed the small house!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #120 of 141 Attractions in Genoa
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
Wayside, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed the small house!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Since I was a little girl, I grew up hearing the marvelous adventure stories of Christopher Columbus setting sail for the "new world"; though many thought he would be sailing off the the edge of the "flat earth", a silly belief at the time.

When my cruise stopped in Genoa, the first thing I wanted to do, was to see the home of Christopher Columbus! I think people are forgetting that back in his day, the homes were all smaller. While it was small, I really enjoyed seeing a period house from his day, set inside the old walled section of Genoa. It was interesting seeing just how people lived back then and trying to imagine things like their kitchens and bathrooms. (There was a little alcove which my aunt and I thought must have been a bathroom of the time, we were not sure) It couldn't have been much. People probably had only two outfits back then, their Sunday best and their everyday outfit. Without decent indoor plumbing or showers, it must have smelled a bit ripe!

I really enjoyed this, didn't think it was overpriced and I read all of the information provided inside the house, so maybe that's why it took me a bit longer than other people are saying. The doorways were shorter back then, because I think people were shorter. There was an interesting costume from that period, it was also interesting. It was nice walking through the old part of Genoa. You can climb up to the top of the wall, which I did to get a great view of the city. It was very colorful in the old town, with brightly painted colorful buildings and wash airing out to dry on clothes lines laced between the buildings. Very picturesque. I recommend it for a great history lesson, be sure to bring your camera!

Visited July 2012

• Turkish first
Perth, Australia
29 attraction reviews
“Would not go out of your way to see it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The house itself has a certain amount of interest, but it takes all of 15min to see it. There is numerous document the purport to add to the providence of the house, but not much in English. But we did get admission to the towers on the city wall with the ticket to the house. Thats was worth a look, at least for the different view.

Visited October 2012
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 attraction reviews
“10 euros for a 10min tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

the house was TINY and we over paid. Parking is very very HARD to find so good luck. kids are free what a bonus =L but it was very informative noen the less

Visited July 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Back to the Renaissance!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I visited Columbus House last March and I really enjoyed it: the kind staff explained me the structure of the building and I must say that I was really impressed and honoured to walk inside such an ancient charming place, the same where Christopher Columbus spent his youth!!!
There are several interesting documents inside (Columbus's will, letters etc..)...it felt a bit like being part of his life!!!
It was definitely worth it!!!

Visited March 2012
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Expensive for an overhyped sailors house”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Stumbled across this while walking around but they wanted alot of money to step into a home of someone who wasnt even the first European to discover America. Leif Ericson I believe has that honour about 500 years before Columbus.

Visited April 2012