“Great steak” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London
“Great steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Nice little restaurant near the aquarium that I found very welcoming despite not being able to speak Italian. The waiter was very helpful and guided me through the menu with the help of photos on his phone. He did a good job because the food was excellent. Bruschetta to start - 3 pieces, one with pesto, one with ham, one with tomato - was delicious and then fillet steak with ham and cheese to follow. The steak was juicy and perfectly cooked and the cheese and ham accompanying it was delicious. The restaurant did full up quickly (which I take as a good sign) but the staff were attentive. The bill came to 43 euros including a carafe of red wine, a bottle of mineral water, an espresso and service which wasn't too eye watering.

Venice, Italy
“Proud Owner, Good Food, Good Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

A colleague and I recently had dinner at Le Mura di Malapaga based on very positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. Having made a reservation, we were warmly welcomed by the owner, a very pleasant guy who made me feel genuinely welcome in his restaurant. The relatively small locale is warmly decorated with a rustic motif. Wooded tables were set with paper placemats and napkins.

The owner sat down with us as he proceeded to explain some particulars about his restaurant. His wife and another friend work in the kitchen. All meat is acquired fresh daily from a private meat supplier and it is cooked on heated lava rock surfaces in the kitchen. The owner stressed that nothing is ever frozen, as freshness is the key to good flavor. He explained some of the house specialties pointing out that he features only antipasti and meat courses; no seafood or pasta dishes. Also available were the famous Fiorentina steaks, priced at 5 euro/100 grams. The owner left a small chalkboard on our table that listed some of the other items on the menu.

After taking our orders, he brought two shot glasses so I could taste his house wines; a Barbera and a Barolo. He set the glasses down on a napkin marked BA and BO so I wouldn't be confused what I was drinking. Very clever!

We started by sharing a mixed platter of cured meats and cheeses. The platter had cured venison, donkey and bresaola, and a mortadella peppered with black truffles. The two cheeses came with honey on the side. We also tried the chickpea fries and cubed chickpeas tossed with onion, olive oil and S&P. Everything was excellent.

For an entree I had the Beef Tagliata (sliced beef) topped with rocket salad (rucala), halved cherry tomatoes, sliced lard and drizzled with a balsamic reduction. The meat was sliced a little thicker than I've had in other restaurants and I found it to be on the tough side, being difficult to chew. My colleague enjoyed the spicy sausage and a house salad. Portion sizes were generous and before leaving, the waiter brought two sugar cubes that had been drenched in 98% proof pure alcohol and flavored with citrus peels. Talk about a digestivo!!! I've never had anything like it and I enjoyed the experience.

Prices were very reasonable with our above meal totaling 66 euros. It was a very pleasant evening and I recommend TripAdvisor community members and come and try Le Mura di Malapaga when in Genoa.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Province of Genoa, Italy
“Malapaganificent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The welcome we received was very friendly and being English, language was no barrier to the meal. In fact, it added to the enjoyment of the evening! We were happy to go with the owners recommendations and were not disappointed. The steaks were the best, so succulent and tasty. The pollo was equally as good.
The wine from the huge vats was a perfect compliment to the meal. A true taste of Genova hospitality and great food.

Antwerp, Belgium
“Not bad at all”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We went there hoping to get a good steak of beef because we had been missing that for quite some time.

And that is exactly what we got: a decent appetizer (salumi) a decent piece of meat, a decent dessert, good service although a bit overfriendly, decent wine. All yhis at EUR 40 per... not haute cuisine, but I've eaten far worse in Genova.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Interesting Venue and Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were walking around looking for a place to eat and looked this up on Trip Advisor when we saw it. Took a moment to get a table as they had to check to see if a table was free. We had a meat and cheese plate to open and discovered we were dining on venison, pork, mule, and another cold cut type. The mule was definitely interesting and I recommend it. I had the steak as an entre and it was cooked perfectly and on seasoned with salt and pepper. Great little find.

• Visited March 2013