“A Good Place to Stay in Cinque Terre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria Gianni Franzi

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vernazza
Trattoria Gianni Franzi
You added Trattoria Gianni Franzi to your Saves list
Piazza Marconi 5, 19018 Vernazza, Italy   |
Ranked #19 of 42 Vernazza B&B and Inns
Knoxville
“A Good Place to Stay in Cinque Terre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

First things first: If you're coming to the Cinque Terre by train, bring a small backpack with some essentials, and stow your luggage at a real train station (like Florence or Pisa) first. You'll be glad you did.

My wife and I stayed here for two nights, to hike the Cinque Terre, as part of a longer vacation in Italy. Our room was #32, in Building 41, and yes, it was 145 stairs up from the town's main piazza to get to it, but it had a (small) balcony and a spectacular view of the Mediterranean as well as the town. The room was smallish, but the queen bed was comfortable and the location, right on the town's main piazza, was perfect.

As far as amenities go, there was a TV (but we never bothered turning it on), and the full bath (across the hall) was new and well furnished. The bar (across from the restaurant) had great late-night cappucino and/or Amaretto for $2, but the servers at that time were as crusty as they seem to be at any other time. We did get the 10% discount for paying in cash.

After hiking to all five towns, we were glad that we stayed in Vernazza. What worked for us was hiking south through Corniglia and Manarola to Riomaggiorre (stopping and enjoying each town along the way), then hopping on a ferry north to Monterosso (getting spectacular pix along the way), and then hiking that last rigorous leg south from Monterosso back to Vernazza. It was all pretty magnificent.

Room Tip: Ask for a cash discount
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Good room right in center of town. They also operates a good trattoria.

• Stayed June 2011
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I booked a private room with Laura via email, and when I asked about the 10% discount for paying in cash she mentioned there was no discount for the private room. Days later (before my trip), I see a charge for Gianni Franzi on my credit statement and of course I inquire via email. Laura responds saying this is just a pre-authorization, and that in fact I could have a 10% discount if I pay in cash.

The private apt was nice, and I enjoyed the cinque terre. Upon checkout, a blond-haired woman tells me the price without the discount. I mention paying cash and getting the discount, but then she argues that this is not the policy for the private room. I show her the email, and she keeps saying ,"It is private room, what don't you understand?" She said that Laura made a mistake, and I responded that it was not my fault, I was on a tight budget and had already budgeted the amount agreed upon in the email. After realizing I wasn't getting anywhere, I ended up paying the extra money.

This set me back a couple museum visits on my tour of Europe, but oh well. I would still return to Vernazza in the future, but I will definitely not be staying here.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

First and foremost, pack lightly if you didn't bring a personal bellhop.

The hotel itself is situated right by the water, at the end of the "main" street leading from the train station to the water. We arrived sometime in the afternoon and were greeted by the bartender/concierge/receptionist/server/probablysomethingelse. Yes, for the entire hotel, there was one person... which I shall not hold against them since it is a smaller town. She took a look at our three medium/large suitcases and regarded us in an unusual/sympathetic? manner. Red flag raised.

She then takes us out of the bar around the corner, up an old, stone staircase. She looked on, impatiently, as we haul our luggage up the stairs. Once we reach the top, she takes us down a beautiful, picturesque hallway and turns the corner. By the time we turn the corner, she is halfway up another, steeper set of stairs. By the time we make it up the second set, we lost sight of her. She peeks her head around the corner, and impatiently motions for us to come. We follow her, and lo and behold.. another set of stairs. After stair set #3 or #4 , she tells us that she has to get back to tending the bar, so she gives us directions which involved the word "stairs" a few more times (I lost count when my vision started to blur and all I could hear was my heart pounding in my ears). I'll skip the moot details, but all in all, we made it to the top.

The room itself was nice. Descent in size (although she said we had one of the biggest rooms...) Our view was slightly compromised by the building next to us, but we could still see a bit of the mountainside and village way down below. Bathrooms were clean and of average size.

Although I now have a slight aversion to stairs, at the very least, the trip up was pretty to look at. There are various old, picturesque corridors, little benches to sit on with an ocean view (while you catch your breath), and lots of pretty foliage and sundry decorations. Plus, the bar they own is located on the ground level, in case you want to take one for the hike up to your room. You also get a %10 discount if you dine there.

If you don't like what you see on their menu, the other restaurants in town are just a stone's throw away.

Take home message: Considering the limited availability of accommodations in Vernazza, it was an average place, with average service, in the heat of summer. Just make sure you A) pack lightly B) pack a bellhop or C) pack a really comfortable pair of shoes and plenty of water.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Needed multiple emails to communicate, booked a room for three nights, then sent requested credit card to hold. They didn't respond, so I sent additional emails every two days for over a week, also asking them to copy two work email accounts in case there was a spam issue. When she finally responded, she said it was too late and they had rebooked the room to someone else. They did have another room (less good view) but I didn't notice on her offer it was only for two nights instead of three. I took it, but when we arrived we almost were w/o a room for the third night. Fortunately, the one we wanted originally was available for that third night so we took it and moved in mid stay.

First room had fun, though bizarre configuration. 78 steps from street level, it had an additional 38 steps INSIDE THE UNIT! Bathroom was lowest part, then up spiral staircase to the bedroom, another spiral staircase to sitting area/refrigerator, then up a "library ladder" to the deck. You really couldn't see the water while sitting, but had to stand and look around the next unit to see the sea. It did have a nice view of the town and surrounding hills though. The second unit (one was 54 and the other 56) was less nice inside, but had a private spectacular deck sitting right on the cliff face with full view of the water.

Despite the room trouble, the stairs (my wife's knee was swollen from a recent surgery) and me developing a stress fracture in my foot from all the hiking I did in the area) we both thought Vernazza/Cinque Terre was one of the highlights of the Italy trip. Quaint & beautiful with wonderful hiking, good train connections to other 5T towns.

Irmo, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We booked very early to get one of the rooms with a great view. The cost was rather expensive but it is a tourist town so you go with the flow. The climb up to the room was exhausting and we are in shape. Add some luggage and it is a serious issue. Overall the room was decent, nothing bad, but nothing good. The TV was the so small as to be useless - good thing, because over half the stations would not tune in as to be watchable. Staff was stiff and unhelpful - very strage in Italy. My suggestion is go to one of the other towns. Everything in Vernazza seemed like a tourist trap. Very expensive and poor quality.
The local hiking and water activities are excellent, but they are available at the other Cique Terre towns as well.
No internet was available, free or with charge.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
france
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

It doesn't show on the outside at the harbour but this hotel has modern-style, clean rooms in traditional houses all over the village, and mostly up the village so a lot of steps involved that make you discover the tiny streets, very romantic at night! Rooms don't all have a sea view (ours didn't and we were eager to go out and dine somewhere anyway) but the sea is visible from the private shared terrace of the hotel on the other side of the rocky hill. No wifi. Breakfast is served in the restaurant altough not included in the price of the room (90 eur/double room/night) but many bars offer some great breakfasts at the harbour in the morning sun..

Room Tip: ask for rooms in houses up the village
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Trattoria Gianni Franzi? Share your experiences!