“DON'T FORGET YOUR PASSPORTS!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Il Borgo di Campi

You added Il Borgo di Campi to your Saves list
Il Borgo di Campi
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Strada Litoranea Km 9,400, 19017 Riomaggiore, Italy   |
Ranked #20 of 28 Riomaggiore B&B and Inns
Flore, United Kingdom
“DON'T FORGET YOUR PASSPORTS!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I were incredibly fortunate to stumble upon this idyllic paradise at the entrance to the Cinque Terre overlooking a bright blue bay with jets of sun light shining through the clouds. We didnt know where we would end up, and we struck gold with this set of rustic, but basic apartments, in an incredible setting. The value is quite good- the rooms are not very clean but the view is beathtaking and it really was exactly what we were looking for.

The problem came with checking in and checking out. When we arrived on Saturday evening at approximately 7.30pm, the staff were in the middle of having dinner in the restaurant. They were totally uninterested, and the manager I presume- a lady who previously had shown us a couple of rooms- barked at one of the waiters to take our passports. That was it. They were too busy to process the check in, too busy to take any details, and basically too busy to look after their customers.

The next morning we packed up, settled our bill and set off. What we didnt realise, until we got back to Pisa airport to drop off our hire car at 6pm that evening, was that they had not given us back our passports. We had spent all day in Cinque Terre, and if they had appropriately checked us in the night before, even if we had forgotten our passports, they would have had the means to call us to let us know we had not taken them with us. Yes it was totally our responsibility to collect the passports, but the haphazard way we were ordered to hand them in in aprt led to this situation. When we called the hotel to organise getting them back the staff were totally unhelpful, to the point of rude. The manager was shouting at me, talking over me, not listening and nearly brought me to tears. It COMPLETELY ruined the experience at this hotel and I would NOT return. It is the one of the first spot on the drive from La Spezia as you enter the Cinque Terre, and yes it is beautiful, but a complete lack of customer service ruined the experience for me. There were much more interesting and cleaner looking apartments in the towns of Manarola and Corniglia and I would urge people to continue into these towns before stopping for the night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Erie, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here because we had read the reviews ahead of time, knew what to expect, and booked because the items people raised in TripAdvisor seemed like trade-offs we were willing to make. To help calibrate my comments, I stay in hotels all over the world approximately 100 nights a year for business travel, from the Grand Hyatt Singapore to Marriott Courtyards in Seattle.

We arrived by car about 15 minutes before the check-in time time window closed, but we noticed that the office was still open long afterwards. The woman at the desk was friendly, warm and accommodating. She made sure we understood that there were several steps to our room and that bags could be brought up for us the morning of our departure if we would simply ask the day before. The walk down the steps was beautiful, along a well-maintained path with manageable steps.

We ate at the restaurant our first night and were impressed by both the food and the pleasantness of the service. Breakfast on the morning of our departure was not a good value however, so I would look elsewhere for breakfast.

The property is situated on a hillside right beside the main road between La Spezia and the villages of the Cinque Terre, above Riomaggiore. The parking lot was adequate and we found getting to and from the villages easy, but parking was painful at Riomaggiore itself, so I would recommend taking a photo of the bus schedule at the hotel and using it as a guide for getting to and from the village. Parking at the other villages was easier.

All in all, we found Borgo di Campi clean and adequate for our needs. We were 2 couples in a 2-room apartment which worked out fine. The beds were hard for our tastes but fine for a few nights. The view is spectacular...literally breathtaking and definitely worth any trade-offs in convenience and creature comforts...at least for us.

Folks, you're not staying at the Grand Hyatt Singapore - you're staying in a rural area populated by farmers, ranchers and friendly locals. If you try to hold any rural hotel to the same standards you're used to in the city, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Come with the right expectations and patience, and you'll have a wonderful stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms looked like they would have a good view. Your luggage can be brought up to the parking are...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This review is LONG overdue! I've been to Italy a couple of times and every time I make a stop at Cinque Terra, I always stay here! I first discovered this place in 2001 on a backpacking trip and thought I died and gone to heaven. It is a true gem and highly recommend staying here if you want to wake up to a dream. On our first stay here the owner or one of the workers drove down to the train station to pick us up b/c cabs were running at $50 a trip. The staff here were all amazing and the food at their restaurant was one of my most memorable in Italy - including their house made wines! This place introduced me to bubbly red wines and I've been hooked since then!

My second stay here was in 2006 and I took my sisters here and they fell in love as well. Its a true gem and you won't find anythign like it in Italy. I mean cliff side villas with grape vines and the breathtaking views of Mediterranean Sea outside your window. What more could you ask for??

I dream of going back to Italy just so I can stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I am appalled by the poor reviews given for this establishment- I often wonder where the heck people think they are going when they plan vacations in exotic destinations- and in this case- exotic destinations on a cliff's edge!

The only answer I have for the poor reviews is that the travelers who posted anything other than 4 stars did not do diligent research when they signed up for a stay at il borgo.

Il Borgo di Campi was incredible. Honestly I felt sorry for every other tourist that was NOT at our resort, as the seclusion and the community feel made our stay 10x more memorable than it had been if we were staying in any of the 5 villages or in La Spezia. The cliff-edge views amidst the olive vineyards and lemon trees were absolutely stunning... no photographs or review will ever do your own experience justice. Waking up to an unobstructed view of the clear-watered Ligurian Sea is like no other! The steps were manageable... try hiking from Monterosso to Vernazza and THEN complain about a measley 200 stairs. Luggage is a minor pain in the butt of traveling- if you can't manage it, than you've only got yourself to blame!

The locals and the hoteliers can seem a bit brash, but you're in Italy. Customer service is generally not their forte. But the wines, olive oils, pasta, risotto, seafood, and anchovies are! Il borgo is heart-wrenchingly charming and was worth every euro! It is rustic, indeed, but isn't that what we go to the countryside for....? I will never forgot our trip to the Cinque Terre.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view, not a "dungeon" room or apartment
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Crosslake
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We were two American women in our sixties, exhausted from travel, and certainly not expecting the rudeness and lack of consideration we encountered. The owner was so rude to me the next morning it brought tears to my eyes. He clearly hates Americans and makes no bones about it.. It left a really sour feeling.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Riomaggiore hotels

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011 via mobile

The place is great even if it is somewhat out of the way...4 kilometers from Riomaggiore to be exact...if you want to be in town don't stay here...if taking a few stairs to get and from your room is too much trouble don't stay here...if you can live with these inconveniences then this place is an absolute charm with breath-taking ocean views..
My girlfriend and I spent two wonderful days here..the apartment was impeccable and the manager could not have been more accomadating...when we didn't feel like waiting for the bus, we hitchhiked our way back and it didnt take very long to snag a lift...

• Stayed October 2011
Cannes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed at the Borgo di Campi in late August, for one night, in a 4 person apartment. While you do need to be warned about the steep steps down to the rooms ( a no-no with heavy luggage) the hotel really has fabulous views and it is worth the effort. In addition, their restaurant is very good, offers a good variety of tasty dishes and local wines, all with a stunning view. What impressed us most, however, was their willingness to help us out - we were given a parking fine and there simply was nowhere for us to pay it on a Sunday. The hotel took our cash and offered to go the extra way and pay the ticket for us during the week. Great service, we will stay there again.

PS: just don't park in any curve, however long and wide it might appear to you, and even if you are sure you are not blocking the traffic - 80Euros is a hefty amount to pay during a weekend away.

PPS: this is a hotel for people with own transport, it is really too far from Riomaggiore to walk and the public bus is not very frequent

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Il Borgo di Campi? Share your experiences!