“Amazing location, & so simple to book!” 5 of 5 stars

ViadeiBianchi
Via Colombo 148, 19017 Riomaggiore, Italy   |
Ranked #12 of 31 Riomaggiore B&B and Inns
Bardstown, Kentucky
“Amazing location, & so simple to book!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for two nights in August 2013 and it was the best accommodation we experienced on our two week Italy trip. I browsed the website and emailed Barbara about the dates I was interested in. At the time, there were only two Trip Advisor reviews, so I was a little hesitant about just booking a room by email. However, after exchanging several emails with Barbara, I was confident in my decision! The reservation was just made through email and no money is owed until arrival (and the cost is very reasonable.) A few days before arrival I notified Barbara when we would be arriving for check-in. Barbara gives great instructions on how to get to the location, which is right at the center of Riomaggiore. The location is the best part about this place.
There are many steep steps to climb to get up to check-in and to the rooms, so be aware of that when packing for your trip. We each had full-size suitcases, and I definitely would not have been able to carry the luggage up myself. Luckily my husband was able to.

The rooms are located right above the Bar Centrale, which has great food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and has amazing drinks for anytime of the day or for a nightcap. And it is just a quick walk back up to the room!

Overall, we were very happy with our entire stay. The room was very clean & cleaned daily. There were plenty of clean towels and there was air conditioning. I highly recommend staying at ViaDeiBanchi! I encourage those who are hesitant (like I was) reserving a room that is NOT a hotel and reserving just through email. It was a great experience and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Like one of the other reviewers on here I spent hours on the internet looking for somewhere good to stay in Riomaggiore before stumbling across this place. Because it's so new it hasn't got many reviews yet so is currently No 12 on here but I imagine that will change.

The location is fantastic. An easy 10 minute walk from the train station and Barbara emails you clear, simple directions before you arrive. You are right in the main street with restaurants, cafes, bars on your door step (literally) for dinner, breakfast then an irresistible light lunch of fried 'mixed fish' in a cone for 7 euro. There is a bar next to this place which means that the room on the first floor can be noisy apparently. But I had requested a quiet room and had a large room, at the top, at the back which was beautiful, clean, comfortable, peaceful, ensuite, even had a large balcony/roof terrace just across the way from it that looked down the street to the sea and up to the mountains. Perfect. I could not have asked for more.

Except there WAS more - Barbara speaks good English and could not do enough to help and assist us with maps, boat, train timetables etc etc. Most importantly, she explained that Lover's Walk was closed and explained in detail how to find the mountain route to Manarola which we did and it is brilliant.

Riomaggiore is a characterful place with steep streets, old buildings and steep stairs. Banchi is therefore not a suitable place to stay if you cannot manage stairs or have masses of heavy luggage as it is a split level apartment a couple of floors up.

I really cannot praise this place highly enough. I will post some photos too which speak for themselves.

Room Tip: Our room, top floor, at the back, opposite the terrace was great - very quiet and spacious and you c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Beautiful room and stay. Location is fantastic and Barbera the owner is so by helpful. My wife and I stayed recently on our honeymoon and had a fantastic reception. The room was large and spotlessly clean and positioned perfectly to explore riomaggiore.

Great value too!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Very, very, clean, really nice owner, location is solid (midway up hill in Riomaggiore), comfy bed.
There is also a rooftop terrace which you can use to chill, hang up laundry. Nice view from there too.
There is a small fridge where you can stash your wine (local stuff is really awesome) and snacks, it's shared by other everyone staying there, not just you.

The owner, Barbara is easy to deal with, and was very nice.

The big BUT, is that it's right over the busiest bar in town. Even when you close the window (there is air conditioning, so that's awesome too) you can hear the noise loud and clear. Not sure if there is some way to soundproof the window better, but that is the only gripe with this place.

I had some earplugs so my wife and I used those, and it was all good. Suggest you do the same, otherwise prepare to stay up till about 2 am, unless of course you just want to join the bar crowd downstairs, that might work too.

Room Tip: Not sure how many rooms there are, the higher up, the better, despite the steep stairs, which is the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LukewarmCatastrophe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Firstly, just to correct the first review, the actual name of this property is ViaDeiBanchi, not ViaDeiBianchi. (I noticed that Booking.com just list it as 'Banchi' but the official website www.riomaggiorerooms.com lists the full name)

My partner and I spent hours trawling through Tripadvisor reviews, travel blogs and weighing up many factors when trying to establish the best place to stay in the Cinque Terre that met our needs. In the end, we took a chance on a place which at the time of us booking, didn't even have a Tripadvisor listing.

We stumbled across the official website, loved the look of the rooms and the content on the website and directly contacted the owner, Barbara, via e-mail, who responded promptly in perfect English to each one of our queries, sent us some photos and reassured us so much that we made a booking (no deposit/credit card details required).

She offered us a room on the fifth floor which wasn't even advertised on her official website yet (although we noticed that some of the photos she had sent us were visible on Booking.com as the accommodation had just been newly listed on there).

As is often the case with the Cinque Terre, it is polite to let your hosts know your arrival time, and we contacted Barbara via e-mail a day or two before we arrived and also decided to contact her via SMS/text message about half an hour before we got there which she responded to.

The building is very easy to find as the door which leads up to the rooms is directly adjacent to the Bar Centrale on Riomaggiore's main street, Via Colombo. As you leave the tunnel from the train station, turn left, head up the bank and it's literally a 1 minute walk.

Barbara was sitting waiting on the step for us and kindly offered us help with luggage (which we didn't need as we were travelling light). The steps up to the rooms are steep and fairly narrow, but fully lit and with a handrail and to be honest, anyone coming to the Cinque Terre and not expecting steps hasn't really done their research!

I offered to pay Barbara upon arrival (although she was very flexible about this) as she stated she is normally available first thing in the morning and then between 3 - 7pm in the evening and as we were unsure about our departure time, I didn't want to miss her.

Our room was exactly as it appeared in the pictures. We were quite possibly the first people to even stay in the room (Barbara mentioned the room didn't have air conditioning 'yet' so the room on floor 5 is possibly even a work in progress as the official website explains that many rooms are gradually being renovated in the building). Our room key stated 'Cucina Bri' and had a lilac coloured keyring - there were a dozen rooms in the building so I feel it's important to be clear about which one we stayed in!

As we entered, we had a large bed (it was 2 singles pushed together but it took us several days to realise this, such was the comfort level!), open brickwork wall to the head of the bed, a wardrobe with hangers, a table, a stool, an immaculate en suite bathroom with modern shower enclosure, toilet, bidet, basin, toiletries, glass tumbler, fresh towels which were changed - it was stunning. There were 2 windows in the room which open although the view is only of the building opposite so not much natural light enters the room, but we were aware of this when we booked.

Access to the large terrace was accessible from our floor too and although we were too busy out and about exploring the Cinque Terre during our trip to make much use of this, it would offer someone a wonderful opportunity to drink and relax after a hard day's hike!

For anyone concerned about staying on a main street so close to a bar, I can assure you that we were not disturbed throughout our entire stay. Perhaps this is because we were on floor 5, so maybe we were lucky, but I doubt many people visit the Cinque Terre to sit in their rooms all day anyway!

The total price of our stay was 195 EUR for 3 nights, so 65 EUR a night, room only staying at the end of May 2013. We felt that this was exceptional value when compared with other places in the Cinque Terre which offered a lot less, especially as we had such a brand new, modern room in the heart of Riomaggiore!

Thank you to Barbara and her husband for helping to make our 2 year anniversary so unforgettable - we absolutely recommend this accommodation and would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My family of 3 stayed at a room at ViadeiBianchi for 3 nights in Apr13.

The room we got was a new addition to the ViadeiBianchi building,
not yet in the site photos. it was not much different so not a problem at all.
room was on the 3rd floor, very clean and plenty of towels provided.

The place was easy to find, very clean, tidy and quite on the main street.

Babara the owner was very accommodating and helpful to our needs.
We turned up earlier than check-in time and was able to access the room.

we are very pleased with our stay.
you will not be disappointed with your stay here too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to ViadeiBianchi? Share your experiences!