“A perfect location in monterosso” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Antica Terrazza

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monterosso al Mare
L'Antica Terrazza
Vicolo San Martino 1, 19016 Monterosso al Mare, Italy   |
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
“A perfect location in monterosso”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

What a great find! Raffaella and Jon are the perfect hosts. The rooms are extremely clean and convenient to the train station. The balcony is lovely and a great place to unwind while sipping a glass of vino. Breakfast was excellent. The hosts will do anything they can to provide you with current information and make your stay one that you will remember. And baby Martin is adorable. Thanks for everything Raffaella and Jon ! We would highly recommend this bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: We were three couples and used three of the four rooms. All the rooms were extremely clean and comf...

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I can't thank John and his lovely wife Rafaella enough for making our stay the best in Monterosso while we hiked the 5 cities. This B & B is so close to the train station situated in the quainter old town of Monterosso. The new town has no soul whatsoever and we only went there to use the laundromat. The old town is where its at and L'Antica Terrazza is perfectly placed with a lovely rooftop terrace with a glimpse of the sea. This was a great spot for getting away from the hordes of tourist which would come in like the ocean wave and then disappear again. Our rooms were spotless and was in the top floor and we had a shared bathroom which was basically all ours to use as the room next door had an ensuite. I cannot stress how clean this B & B was and due credit to John and Rafaella. I saw her come into the B & b with her shoes off until she got to the bottom of the stairs and felt so guilty with my shoes on hahaha. Breakfast was great and John and Rafaella waited on us by making us coffee and getting us Juice from the fridge which we could of done ourselves. They had this amazing focaccia bread on offered and although greasy it was delicious and light and fluffy and right amount of salt.

Ok now onto the whining negative reviews these poor guys have recievd in the past which I had to speak up and defend L'antica
1) rooms are small probably cos your a fat American. We found rooms fine and size was acceptable who goes on holiday and stays in there room. Have you notice the houses squashed together ... Land is a premium people your lucky you get a double bed!
2) wifi upstairs did not work for us and it's not L'Antica fault as there broadband is not cabled but wifi so the poor guys suffer from atmospheric interferences get over it. It worked fine for us downstairs
3) to the whingers who said Rafaella English was bad or she didnt explain the sea well .. I like to see you hold a conversation in Italian ... Ignorant tourists!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have to fist thank Jon and Rafaella. They made our stay in Monterosso a really great experience. I arrived very early in the morning & they were so flexible in accommodating me. Rafaella met me early so I could drop my luggage and head off on a planned hike. Their baby is so adorable and so good!

Our room was perfect, very clean, beds comfortable and the bathroom was quite spacious, especially by European standards. We had french doors that opened up to our own terrace, giving us a great street view. Breakfasts were simple, but just enough, with a selection of croissants, really good foccaccia, yogurts, etc. Jon helped us out and made us some great cappuccinos. The location was perfect, right by a grocery, Enoteca da Elesio ans other restaurants. There was a nice rooftop terrace, offering pretty views, and nice place to have a relaxing pre or after dinner drink.

Jon & Rafaella were very accomodating. They helped in giving us advice on restaurants and even helped make reservations for us. One afternoon we ended up sitting next to them at Bar Internazionale and had a nice time chatting with them and playing a little with their baby (such a good baby, hardly made a peep!).

My only regret is that they were not there the morning we checked out. I would have love to thank them in person for everything. When I return, I will definitely stay with them again and will recommend L'Antica to anyone I know that plans to visit.

Jon and Rafaella, thank you so much for everything!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent one night here after hiking from Riomaggiore and it was perfect for me--a private room (small, but that was ok) and private bath with a great hot shower. The large shared balcony was fun to watch people go by or just relax with wine. Raffaella and John are gracious and very helpful hosts, and John made the best cappuccino I have had in Italy so far! Not noisy if you close the windows--I slept better than I have in weeks! One note: very steep stairs to the room--might not be good for everyone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had a few days of our honeymoon at L'Antica Terrazza and had a lovely time. The room was comfortable, the shower was hot and plentiful and the hosts were wonderful. Beach towels were available and the breakfast was very good - the cappuccinos were the best I had in Italy! Rafaella and John were gracious hosts, had lots of wonderful suggestions and ideas and nothing was beneath their notice. We arrived very late (we called to say so) and John gave us the keys, and said 'We'll check you in in the morning, go get yourself a glass of wine'. Perfect for 2 weary travelers. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Before planning our trip to the Cinque Terre, I researched countless B&B and hotel options across the 5 cities. I eventually chose L'Antica Terrazza and am so thankful for this decision! This is an amazing B&B with the nicest staff! I will never forget this place! I proposed to my girlfriend while on our trip in Monterosso. The two owners of L'Antica Terrazza, Rafaella and John, were so incredibly nice throughout our entire stay! They even invited us to their son's first birthday! Prior to arriving, the communication by email was very clear and relieved us of any fears that we might show up and not have a room.
The B&B is located on the historic, less touristy side of Monterosso. So it's about a 15-minute walk with luggage to the train station. I recommend staying on this side for a more authentic experience. The B&B is located amidst all the cute, local bars, cafes, and pizzeria. It's built on top of a mini-market, which is great for supplies in the morning (bottled water, etc.)
Each morning, the owners prepare a delicious breakfast including cereal, croissants, homemade foccacia, coffee, juice, yogurt, etc.
The rooms & bathroom are not huge, but they are adequate and very clean. They are what you expect in a European B&B in a historic building. I was not disappointed at all. This place has character.
There is of course a gorgeous terrace on the top of the building, which overlooks the alley down to the ocean/beach. This is a great area where guests tend to enjoy a bottle of wine in the late afternoon / early evening.
L'Antica Terrazza will be forever in our hearts! I cannot imagine having a better experience at any other B&B in the Cinque Terre!

The only note i will give is that guests must ascend one or two flights of stairs to reach the bedrooms (like many European hotels). If you are someone who is elderly or has trouble with stairs, then you should strongly consider whether this is the right B&B for you.

Otherwise, definitely stay at the L'Antica Terrazza and have an amazing journey!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had the pleasure to stay at L'Antica Terrazza recently and had a great experience. The rooms were small but well appointed and super clean. The breakfast was fresh and even my teenage sons liked the selection. We felt lucky to stay there.

But the service and personal touch really started after we left. As we were on the train to Rome my son realized that he had left a video camera in a drawer in the room. By the time we were in Rome and hooked up to wi-fi, we had a message waiting from Rafaella telling us about the camera and asking where she could send it. After a number of emails we gave her an address in Tuscany where we were staying later in our trip. While it was en-route we received two messages checking if we had yet received the package. In the end we received the well wrapped package while we were still in Italy. Jon and Rafaella would never respond when asked how we could pay for the shipping.

If you are looking to stay in a place that reflects the great care and personal pride of the owners THIS IS IT! Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to L'Antica Terrazza? Share your experiences!