“Great Shop, Amazing Hosts” 5 of 5 stars

via Roma 7, 19016 Monterosso al Mare, Italy
Website
Improve this listing
Austin, Texas
“Great Shop, Amazing Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We came to Monterosso on our honeymoon. Like several others on Trip Advisor, we had booked a room in advance, shown up, and found a note to call the host. After a lot of back and forth (and a huge cell phone bill), the owner showed up, and was no help at all - she told us that Booking.com (who we had used to secure the room) had made a mistake and that the room was already rented, she had no others available, and that we were basically stuck with nowhere to go. As a last resort, she checked with Gian Luigi and Cherry, owners of Cantina du Sciacchetra to see if they had a room.

Not only did the couple immediately "take us in" and let us know that we wouldn't be sleeping on the street, Cherry specifically told us that we were on our honeymoon, and should be relaxing instead of worrying. She immediately gave us two limoncello's from the store (along with two huge Peroni beers) for free, and sent us down to the beach, assuring us that everything would be great, and we would have a lovely time.

True to their word, by the time we came back (relaxed and sunburned), they had set us up in a little apartment across the street, which turned out to be perfect for our time in Cinque Terre. We bought all of our beer, wine and snacks from the store, and every time we were in, we saw others getting the same great/welcoming/friendly treatment. Definitely give them some business if you're in Monterosso, these hard working people truly embody the spirit of Cinque Terre!

Visited March 2012

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“it's a fantastic place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

it's a fantastic place, the guys are very kind and professional, don't miss to visit this place!!! :D

Visited September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“You made Monterosso memorable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

In July 2012 Christine Johnson, my daughter, and I visited A Cantina Du Sciacchetra, and loved the shopkeeper and his genuine invitation to sample many delicious foods and wines in his shop. We discussed the devastation of the mudslide of Oct. 2011 and we found this man to be such a fine human being: natural, warm-hearted, charming, open and so significant! We wanted to bring him home! We brought his merchandise home and it is delightful! From Canada with love!
Cathy Goss - New Westminster, BC Canada

Visited July 2012
Linden, California
“Sciacchetra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had done some homework on what type of Ligurian specialties to try before we ventured on our recent 15 day trip to the Italian Riviera. One of the things that intrigued me was the wine called sciacchetra. I had not heard of it and tried to find out specifically where I could find it. Apparently it is only made in the Cinque Terra. We staying Chiavari, about an hour train ride above the Cinque Terra, and I asked in just about every bar and liquor store in Chiavari. I found only one place that had it, and it was outrageously expensive so I was determined to try it in the Cinque Terra. I found it in several places, but in Monterosso al Mare, the most northern of the 5 towns of the Cinque Terra, I came upon the Cantina du Sciacchetra. The man behind the counter had chilled bottles of several Cinque Terra wines, including sciacchetra, to sample. As soon as I tasted it, I knew I had to have a bottle! He had several brands at various prices from about 30 euro to 100 euro. I got the cheapest which was the one he gave me a sample of . . .I can't imagine the more expensive brands could be any better. I ended up buying bags of corzetti pasta and a bottle of limoncello for gifts upon my return to the USA. Now my only worry is wondering what I'm going to do when this bottle of sciacchetra is gone. We only go to Italy every few years and I feel like I'm addicted after only one taste. I haven't even opened the bottle I brought home as I'm waiting for the most special occasion with our best of friends. Bottom line. . .the hospitality offered by the Cantina employee makes this a place I highly recommend if you are interested in tasting sciacchetra before investing in a bottle.

Visited September 2012
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“lovely place, good tastes and very friendly hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

If this place looks packed, come back later - it's worth it!

Visited May 2012