“On Our Way Back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Steno

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Villa Steno
Via Roma 109, 19016 Monterosso al Mare, Italy   |
White Plains, NY
“On Our Way Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

We first were introduced to Villa Steno in 1997 as a final three night stop with a hiking group. It was a wonderful hotel then, and it has remained so in the five return visits we have made since. The Cinque Terra is a delightful area with much charm and an endless amount to do. It’s known for it hiking trails in the National Park, but it offers much more as you enter the Italian seaside culture.

We have found Monterosso to be a great access point for our Cinque Terra adventures and Villa Steno to be a comfortable, quiet, and friendly small hotel. It’s an architectural delight blending with the hillside and gardens while offering wonderful views of the village and the harbor from your porch making a glass of wine seem a necessity.

The hotel is spotless clean, and well maintained. The buffet breakfasts offer a wide selection so it’s really quite easy to splurge on homemade pastries or be especially careful on your low carb plan. Room prices are reasonable and reflect a fair price for value received. We have also found that this family run hotel is no secret, and have enjoyed many delightful experiences with fellow travelers

707 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

In July 2006 I spent two days at Villa Steno in Monteresso. The decor was smartly done, just as you would think an Italian Hotel would be on the Sea. We were three travelers staying in a spotless room with a balcony with a spectacular view. The bathroom was a very good size with wonderful linens. Breakfast was included in our price. It included everything that anyone could want. There was something for everyone's taste. I do not drink coffee, but my friends said that it was the best of the trip. Matteo the host and owner was very pleasent and welcoming. We felt very much at home with his warm hospitality. When paying our bill in cash we were given a discount of 10 euros. It so happen that the World Cup Finals were on while we were visiting. It was exciting to see the natives celebrate and enjoy their country's victory. I would highly recommend this hotel and suggest that you reserve early. I enjoyed every hotel that I stayed in on this trip but I can say without hesitation that Villat Steno was the best. By the way, I work for a worldwide hotel chain.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

Recommended by a friend, we tried the Villa Steno hotel recently while visiting the Cinque Terre area, Italy. It is a small 16 room hotel on a cliffside over looking the villas and beach at Monterosso, the northern-most village of the 5 (cinque). Its owned and run by a lovely couple Matteo and Carla. The rooms are airy and clean, most with balconies. The free continental breakfast, including capuccino, is a perfect start to an exciting day exploring the area. We rate the hotel cinque stars!

The Fays, from Hilton Head Island SC, USA

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

The other reviewers describe the hotel well enough. One thing you have to understand about all the villages of the Cinque Terra is that they are very old and built into the very limited available space. Many, if not all, of the hotels were once private villas and have been converted. That would explain why the bathrooms are are small and 'tacked on'. Ours was so small you had to step over the toilet pan to get into the shower. The towels were as the last reviewer described, like Egyptian cotton tea towels! The village is crowded and noisy but that's half the fun of the place. The pedestrian entrance to the hotel is up a steep staircase well up above the 'main' street of the village and it is a long way from the rail station but for us it was perfect as I was able to drive my rental car right up to the front door and left it there for the three days we were there.

On the first afternoon as I stood on the balcony of my room and listened to the raised voices in the street, the brushcutters, the Vespas belting up and down the street, the radios blaring, babies crying, hammer drills in the hotel being renovated over the road, I wondered about the wisdom of choosing this place. But by nightfall it was all quite and after an excellent meal at a restaurant on the beach (the one with the dolphin painted on the wall in the northern half of the town) which was excellent, I changed my mind.

If I have any serious criticism it's the tariff. We paid Euro120 per night B & B and even by European standards, for the standard of room we had it was high. The service was good, breakfast was fine and the internet access (in the lobby) was free.

One thing about the Cinque Terra - you'll definitely tone up those calf muscles during your stay!

• Stayed May 2006
emmyland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2006

Here's the deal.
I am not a picky person when it comes to accomodations. I have had enough experience with everything from 5 star hotels to campgrounds to know what is adequate for the price and have to say Villa Steno would be a FABULOUS place to stay...for around 75Eu. For much more than that, it is simply not worth it when you consider the many, cheaper alternatives you have in the Cinque.
The good points:
-Great view!
-Friendly staff- always accommodating.
-You exit the hotel via a lovely garden (and down a steep set of stairs, but that's part of the charm!)
The not-so-good points:
-Furnishings in the rooms were poor quality and the room seemed stark and depressing, not to mention DARK as the only window to the outside is the small balcony door. The bed was not very comfortable and the bed linens were scratchy.
-The location is ok, but most of the restaurants and action to be had in Montorosso is closer to the beach.
-A housekeeper walked in on my husband and I in the morning (approx 9 a.m.). Thankfully we were fully clothed and decent, but she didn't even knock!
-Ok, WHAT IS WITH THE TOWELS????? They were a strange, rough, starched cheesecloth material and were the least absorbant things I have ever used. I may as well have used a paper towel. This is really nitpicky, but for over $150U.S. you would think you would get an actual towel. Perhaps this was an isolated incident and they were just short on real towels during our stay.

As I'm sure rates have inevitably increased since our stay in summer of 2005 (I think we paid 135Eu) there are TONS of other places to stay all over the Cinque that would offer a better value. I personally would recommend La Toretta.

By the way, if you are looking to do laundry someplace on your trip, this is THE PLACE. A load of laundry was somewhere around 10Eu (if memory serves me right) which is a bargain!
Either way, enjoy your trip to the Cinque. It is definitely a fantastic place to visit again and again.
Cheers~

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Hotel Villa Steno? Share your experiences!