“Great location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Monterosso al Mare
Adelaide
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. The location was great - very near parking area of town. We knew beforehand that we had to use the stairs - so the 3rd floor room was no shock. The room was very basic but clean. The two young guys who worked there were friendly and obliging which is more than can be said for the older women. The younger women who did breakfast obviously doesn't like her job - & breakfast was a joke - never enough of what small amounts of choice of food was available - had to ask for more bread rolls every morning - it just seemed as if they were hesitant to bring out anything extra.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view - we were down one side & could see a little of the sea out over...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

After 10 days of traveling around with luggage that grew progressively heavier with every purchase and every staircase, I was delighted that Baia had an elevator for luggage and the elderly. The location in Monterosso can't be beat, the staff was very nice, loved the cappuccinos they made fresh for me as part of the included breakfast, and they gave a couple of great, casual restaurant resevations. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We didn't have a view of the ocean but we spent little time awake in the room, so who cared? we...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I visited Cinque Terre last year for 6 days. I extensively visited all the villages on Cinque Terre. They are truly remarkable and make your heart skip a beat. You must also take the boat ride to see all the villages from the water. Remarkable views.

After reading numerous negative reviews about hotel Baia, I was apprehensive about staying there, but in Italy you have to realize that the hotels (even those rated 4 stars) will not always be a 4 star hotel as you expect. I have travelled many times to Italy and their hotel star system is not consistent all over the country. Meaning a 3-star hotel in Venice might not have to meet the same criteria as a 3-star hotel in the Cinque Terre.

Cinque Terre is not cheap and most of the 3 / 4 star hotels are pricey. The hotel I wanted to stay “La Spiaggia” (right next door to the Baia) was sold out and I can see why. As, we wanted to be very well located; Hotel Baia fit the bill and we decided to stay.

LOCATION: The location is Wonderful! Cant as for better. The hotel sits right on the beach and within a few footsteps to the main railway station. There is also a big parking lot nearby (if you come by car as we did. We drove from Switzerland to Monterosso al mare). But the best way to travel in CT is by Train. Their train service is excellent and easy to use. You will not be able to enter most of the villages by car. The hotel is also located pretty much right next door to many restaurants and the very popular Ristorante Miky. You can also walk into the old part of town where there are many other restaurants.

ROOMS: Modest but clean and most overlook the water and have balconies with wonderful views. We would sit out side in the evening and have a glass of wine overlooking the water and beautiful surroundings. You can get nice wine all over and just bring the bottle back to your room to enjoy. Make sure you bring your own bottle opener and buy some plastic cups. There are only 2 throw away plastic cups provided in the bathroom and not replaced. The bed was comfortable and the linen is clean. The washroom was very small, more like a little closet. Very Small shower, sink and toilet that’s flushed well. The water pressure in the shower was okay. The maid cleaned our room every day and gave us lots of toilet paper, towels, etc. We had to ask for nothing. I would leave her a few Euros every day so that probably helped. I don’t wait till the end of my trip to leave something. I find you get way better room service. There is a mini fridge in the room but it is not stocked. Buy your own water and fill up the fridge. There is a little grocery store just down the street. And there is a nice wine store next door. There is a safe in the room and a small TV in the room but it doesn’t work well nor can you get any English stations. I did not care about this, but my husband who likes to watch some TV was annoyed.

THE AIR CONDITION: Was very poor! We also had to give a 20$ deposit for the air condition remote control. The air conditioner was noisy and barely worked. It would constantly shut off. I think to save money. It was pointless. There was a mini heat wave when we were there and we had to sleep with the door open. Thankfully there was a little breeze from the ocean. I could not imagine staying there in the hot summer months. I specifically booked my trip for end of May to avoid heat and crowds. My husband said although the bed was comfortable, he never really slept well, he was way too hot. I think deep down, he did this trip for me. He prefers to go to big 5 star Beach hotels in Mexico/Jamaica with a big king bed and flip channels on TV…lol.

HOTEL RESTAURANT & BREAKFAST: The hotel has its own little restaurant out front along the boardwalk overlooking water. We had a nice light meal there one night. The food was good and very reasonably priced too. I suggest you have the percorino cheese with honey and some bread and some local CT wine. The breakfast area at the hotel was my favourite part of the hotel. A lovely big room overlooking the water with an eclectic array of colourful furniture and paintings. The breakfast was very nice too. Nice cream Italian cheese, bread, butter, cold cuts, orange juice, cereal, yoghurt and even some hard boiled eggs. Their coffee was very good and you could even ask for cappuccinos and espressos at no extra charge. The waitress at breakfast was shy but friendly. Probably the friendliest person at the hotel.

NEGATIVE THINGS: Overpriced, Poor Air Condition, Elevator, Pay up front and Very Unfriendly! I don't think the owners of this hotel should be working in any hotel industry or anything that requires dealing with people. So if you are looking for a place to stay and have friendly conversation with the owner, hotel staff and tourist tips, you have come to the wrong place. The female owner and her husband were very unfriendly and cold. At times even rude. She usually sits at the desk in the morning and is very grumpy and he is there at night. You really felt like you were a bother. In between their shifts there is the son & the daughter. Please wait till they are there to get any sort of help! Everyone at the hotel is cold and they never ask you how your day was, smile, etc. Yes, it could be a language thing, but I heard them speak some English when they really had to. I even can speak a little Italian, but it was pointless. I think many people (particularly friendly North Americans expect to have some nice conversations with the hotel owners about Italy, their day, etc.) this is NOT happening here at hotel Baia. As for me I was indifferent, but it would have been nice to have some conversation given how often I have met such friendly Italians and I like to also practice my Italian. As for my husband he likes to chat and he thought it was terrible and so unpleasant. He said he would never return.

THE ELEVATOR: Annoying thing about the hotel is that you are NOT allowed to take the elevator. Except to bring your bags up (and only if you more than one). I think they don’t want you using it for wear & tear/electricity. The hotel has 4 floors and we were on the top floor. There were lots of stairs to go up and down in the heat it was not always pleasant coming home after site seeing and walking all day. We had no problem and are accustom to no stairs in Europe but it was a unpleasant sometimes. I saw some older couples really struggling with the stairs. Let me tell you…you did not want to forget anything in the room. I had a checklist every morning: knapsack, camera, sunglasses, cream, water..check…lol. Honestly, if you are not that fit I would never stay there. On our last day, we had to leave the hotel very early and the elevator was shut off. We had to carry all our bags down the 4 flights of stairs. Lots of cursing going on. I am sure they did it on purpose. We ALSO had to pay for our 6 nights up front, which I found was odd.

Overall, it was very average. I think the hotel is way over priced for what is offered! And it would have been nice to have some friendly staff and conversation. I would have preferred to be next door. My husband disliked the hotel very much. When we visit Cinque Terre again (and I will return) we would NOT go back to this hotel. Unless there are NEW owners, air cons that work, and the elevator is permitted and the rooms are renovated.

Room Tip: If you can't use stairs make sure to stay on the first floors. Get an ocean view with balcony be...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Bonney Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Everyone said terrible service but we had great experience at this hotel, rooms were roomy but small bathroom. Location is unbelivable, had 2 rooms with balcony with sea views. Breakfast was great especially being able to drink cappuccinos every morning and sit outside right on the beach. Few minute walk to the train station in Monterroso which made it very convenient.

Room Tip: Room 9 is a quad room with balcony with table.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We planned on staying at Hotel Baia for two nights but ended up leaving after one. The lady at the front desk was very rude when we checked in and seemed genuinely angry that we did not speak fluent Italian. I always attempt to learn basic words and phrases in the language of the countries that I am visiting and these efforts are usually appreciated. This was not the case here and we felt very uncomfortable from the start. Luckily the hotel is right across from a beautiful beach and there are several great restaurants nearby. This hotel served it's purpose of providing a bed to sleep on in one of the most beautiful places on earth!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ansonia, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Only a short walk from the train station in Monterroso. We had a double room with balcony. What a plus. It was so nice sitting on the balcony with our wine just overlooking the street and water. I liked that there were two bedrooms and bathrooms. The decor was simple but the room was comfortable. I did notice some mold in the shower. The hand towels felt like a linen napkin but the bath towel was fluffy. Breakfast was good. It was nice having the bar, although the restaurant is closed on Mondays. We had use of the beach(towel included). It cost us 5 euros for use of a chair/umbrella

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Location, location, location. If you’d like to simply step a few feet out the hotel’s door and begin your journey exploring Monterosso’s main street or go a few more feet and meet the Ligurian Sea, Hotel Baia can meet your needs. With cramped rooms with Ikea (and below) furniture and bathrooms with less than state-of-the-art fixtures, using the hotel simply as a place to sleep and get rejuvenated with a good breakfast before you continue your explorations makes it a serviceable stay. It’s in the new town and right on the main road, so don’t necessarily covet quiet. On the other hand, it’s very conveniently located close to restaurants, bars, shops and a very short walk to the train station or the large public parking lot on the beach. Desk staff help ranges from helpful and pleasant to indifferent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Baia? Share your experiences!