“Delightful” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Black Forest, Colorado
“Delightful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

First of all, MAKE A RESERVATION. At least if you are there on the weekend. Otherwise, you get stuck dining inside, which is not what dining is all about in the summer in Italy.

Solo traveler, arrived right before 8PM and was shown to a table in the far back corner of the restaurant. I think that it is unusual for women to be out alone for dinner, because this isn't the first time I've been shuffled to the back of a restaurant in Italy while on my own. Even so, I enjoyed this particular spot as I had a bird's eye view of the comings and goings from the kitchen as well as the rest of the inside of the restaurant, and even some of the outside terrace.

The food was very good, probably excellent if you like Ligurian food, which isn't my favorite. I had an appetizer which consisted of a hard, white cheese, not unlike Machego, with roasted walnuts drizzled with local honey. This may have been THE best appetizer I had throughout my 2 months in Italy this summer. I wanted to lick the plate! For my main, I had bistecca, which is really Florentine, but whatever. The steak was quite good and a welcome change from 1,000 and 1 ways to serve acciuga. I would highly recommend this restaurant and not hesitate to return. With reservations this time.

Visited August 2012

• Hebrew first
Monroe, New Jersey
“Great reviews and easy to see why, it was wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our first night in Monterosso and we were treated to a wonderful dinner. We asked the very sweet waitress to order for us, requesting local dishes paired with the local wines and she did a GREAT job. Fresh fish, mussels, pasta, truly great. Can't say enough good about this place, the price was not over the top but the value was great. Nice setting with a comfortable decor newly decorated due to the floods from a year or so prior.
Expertly prepared food, well presented and solid service, couldn't really ask for more, well maybe asking for more chances to eat there, that would be fantastic, we can only hope to return and we'd eat here is we get back to Monterosso!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Best Restaurant we found in Monterosso al Mare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Ristorante L'Alta Marea, located about 2 blocks up from Piazza Girabildi on Via Roma in the old portion of Monterosso, has excellent food at a reasonable price!! Owned by a couple, Marco the chef and Anna who runs the front end. My husband and I liked the food and service so much that we ate dinner here twice during our 4 day stay in May 2012. The seafood antipasto and spaghetti pesto, both specialties of the Cinque Terre region, were delicious. Ligurean fish (sea bass) with potatoes was tasty as well. The grilled mixed vegetables were SO GOOD that they were the good standard by which we judged grilled vegetable at other Italian restaurants during our vacation in Italy--but none other came close. Dinners cost about 50-55 euros for two.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good seafood restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

We were walking around looking for a place outside when we spotted a free place at this restaurant. So we scanned the menu and went to grab the table.
We ordered seafood salad and bruschetta to start, which was absolutely great. I have never tasted such tender calamari.
We had homemade pasta and pesto for a maincourse. This was nice, but the pasta wasn't the best we had had in Italy and was slightly disappointing.
Service good but not great. Go for seafood in this restaurant, they really know how to cook it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
“nice dinner but not extraordinary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

went because it was a rick steves pick and near our inn where we were staying. Food was just ok, we had appetizers and pasta. Service was good, decor average. No major complaints but wasnt one of the better meals we have had in CT and northern ITaly

Visited September 2012