“Lovely & romantic” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Lovely & romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from the 05/01 - 05/05. We arrived Wednesday afternoon and walked form the train station to the B&B in about 10 minutes. It is really easy to find as it is located on the main street. It is a little bit more towards the back of the town (even tho this town is so small, the whole town is your average NY block size). I liked the fact that it was more to the back rather then above a restaurant or right on the square or beach front. Therefore it was realy quiet and calm. I think this location is amazing and better than all the beach fromt locations. The rooms itself are really beautifull and so clean you can eat off the floor. The decorations are so lovely and really has that romantic feel to it. The bathroom was the perfect size and we had a lovely little balcony (looked out on the street) that we enjoyed in the evenings with a class of wine. Our room was cleaned everyday, towels changed and 2 bottles of water (free). We were met by Fredirica (owner Frencesca's friend) who explained all that Cinque Terre had to offer in great detail, from her favourite hikes, to restaurants, how the trains and boats worked and what was open and closed. So also washed our laundry (free of charge - insane I know). We then met the Owner Francesco the same night, as he works in the bar down the street and he too was warm and very nice....follwed by 3 shots of lemoncello. We could call them or ring them (botton at the entrance) at any time if we needed help. All in all this place is truly lovely, romantic and I will 100% return too it on my next (very soon) trip to CT.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
pollcus, Proprietario at Il Timone Camere, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Ciao ...
Thanks a lot for writing so well about us and our place.It was very nice of you to say that.
We feel very happy and proud to' know that you guys enjoyed your stay here in Monterosso.This is so important for all us.
Hope to see you again soon.
Greeting from Monterosso,
Francesco

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I went to visit the Cinque Terre for the first time, and are so happy we decided to stay at Il Timone Lerta (3 nights) and Il Timone Loreto (1 night). Francesco and Federica greeted us with large umbrellas in the pouring rain and helped us with our bags to climb the numerous steps up to their beautiful B&B. We felt like we found a hidden treasure: the rooms were updated, fresh and clean and the balcony had a beautiful view of the mountains, the town and the sea. Federica made us the most delicious breakfast each morning: cappuccino, croissants, apricot cake, eggs to order, fresh fruit salad, pineapple and orange juice, and cereal. Needless to say, those breakfasts carried us well into the lunch hour, and prepared us for our hikes between the towns. Each night, we enjoyed returning to find a bottle of Limoncello in the main entranceway that served as a perfect nightcap! They also had a computer with free internet access to keep us updated on which hiking paths were open, and other great finds in the area. Our hosts were helpful, kind, and very informative about giving us great recommendations for local wine bars and restaurants--they truly made us feel like family. If we ever have the opportunity to return, we will definitely plan to stay there again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Santa Maria and loved it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We enjoyed our holiday at this cosy b&b hotel. A lot of stairs to climb to get to the hotel, but that goes for most of b&b in Monterosso. The best with the place was the friendly staff and the excelllent service! Clean rooms. We would love to come back!

• Stayed April 2013
Perth, Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My lovely husband and I stayed at Il Timone Lerta whilst visiting Monterosso al Mare (one of the charming and probably the biggest towns of Cinque Terre) from 31st October to 3rd November 2012. The day we arrived, for the most part it was pouring with rain and it seemed as though the town was pretty much deserted. After a short wander to a local bar (The Fast Bar), we met our wonderfully charming and incredibly hospitable host Francesco. He gave us a warm and genuine welcome, and said "sorry for the weather" with a grin. He insisted on taking my suitcase, and ushered us just around the corner...I confess that I inwardly groaned when I realized that we were going to have to climb (possibly) HUNDREDS of steps to reach where we were staying because, as you will see if you go, the five villages of Cinque Terre are mostly set on mountain terraces. Which of course are only accessible via countless steps. Seriously, you could not live comfortably in Italy (or indeed anywhere in Europe) and be disabled. In any case, it turned out to be 106 steps - or 163, depending on which route you used to access the apartment (the one near Fast Bar had less steps!). Which again probably doesn't sound like that many. But YOU DO IT and tell me how you like it! Haha just kidding, it was not a problem at all. Besides, we really only had to do it once each day.

Il Timone Lerta really is a charming little place. I will endeavour to post pics later for your perusal, as a simple verbal description does not do it justice. A family affair, Francesco and his lovely partner Frederica - as well as his mother Augusta - have created a warm, inviting and cozy home away from home in Il Timone. From the moment you meet your hosts and step through the front door, you feel as though a small part of Italy has been captured in this lovely B&B because of their outstanding hospitality. Oh - and whilst he was settling us in, he served us locally home-made complimentary Limoncino (THE. BEST. ITALIAN. LIQUOR. EVER.), which was fantastically tasty on a cold rainy day! He went on to enthusiastically tell us about the B&B, the area, good restaurants to eat at, the places we should visit in the area whilst we were there, and the things we should make sure we did before we left. And we did them all!

Now for a verbal tour...the room we stayed in was called Santa Maria (probably the biggest and most spacious of the 3 rooms at Lerta). Spacious and tastefully decorated in Tuscan style, it featured a wrought-iron king-size bed, timber laminate flooring, skylight, in-room safe, cable TV (which I confess we did not find time to watch), table and chairs, luggage rack, plenty of storage and hanging wardrobe space (yay), a full-length mirror, a beautifully renovated private bathroom with a lovely shower, and even a bar fridge! I generally used this for water and soft drinks, as we were instructed to help ourselves to the main kitchen if we required coffee or snacks at any time during our stay!! Most importantly, there was (FREE!) working and reliable wifi internet access - thank goodness! Although we did not need access to a computer because we travelled with our own, they have thoughtfully supplied a PC (which also has internet access) for guests to utilise in the cozy common area. My favourite thing, though, was the french windows next to the bed that faced onto a terrace, with BREATHTAKING views of the mountain above. Although this terrace is not owned by Il Timone (and therefore not accessible to guests), it is not needed due to the amazing open-air terrace upstairs.

Did I mention that Frederica and Francesco's mother Augusta climb the stairs early every morning just to prepare breakfast for guests? Unfortunately, because of a constant light drizzle during our stay they did not want us to breakfast on the open air terrace, and had instead set up a table on the landing in front our room. The spread was awesome! Freshly made orange juice, fresh fruit, piping hot coffee, oh - and the most INCREDIBLE pastries I have ever tasted! Seriously, I don't even eat pastries, but these were the best things I have ever tasted! Mmmmmmm cioccolato nom nom nom. They apparently don't have a name, they are just pastries with chocolate in them, so we named them 'cioccolato di parcelletto'. We later discovered that Francesca gets up early every morning and makes these from scratch. It made me feel a little ashamed to be so unproductive hahaha :)

Oh - and guess what else? We had about a weeks' worth of washing by the time we arrived in Monterosso; after our first delicious breakfast we asked Frederica and Augusta whether there was somewhere in town we could do this, except they would not allow us to. They instead insisted right then and there upon collecting all of our washing and doing it for us! Whilst we went out and explored on our first full day in Monterosso, they proceeded to wash, dry and carefully lay it out for us on our magically and freshly made bed for us to discover when we arrived back at the room at the end of the day. THEN - when we tried/offered to pay for their time and effort, they would not hear of it! How is that for service?! Speaking of service, I also have to say that their housekeeping is impeccable. Our room and the common areas were always spotlessly clean, and when we wearily returned to our room at the end of each day, the bed had been freshly made, the bathroom cleaned, towels etc replaced and the room tidied (without our belongings being inappropriately disturbed or moved).

My only caution would be as follows - if you require a SOFT bed to sleep on, then arrange this with Il Timone well in advance BEFORE you arrive. I myself really need a VERY soft bed and, like most mattresses in Europe, I personally found the one in our room like sleeping on concrete. Fantastic if you like a firm bed, but disastrous for me. By my third sleepless night, I was actually just crying at the drop of a hat because I was so tired and sore (this is my only reason for giving a 'sleep quality' rating of 'terrible')! I did enquire about the possibility of doing something about this after my first sleepless night, but what can really be done about indulging personal preference when you are catering to the masses? Although I will be sure to address this the next time I visit, it would in no way stop me from returning. We truly had a memorable stay in Monterosso, absolutely LOVED our time at Il Timone Lerta and cannot wait to go back again! These wonderful, warm and lovely people truly embody hospitality; it is hard to imagine experiencing such generosity of spirit that often in a lifetime.

Room Tip: PLEASE NOTE - Il Timone have TWO separate properties (both with 3 rooms each): Il Timone Lerta - LO...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We recently spent 6 nights staying in Il Timone Lerta during a 7 week trip throughout Europe. Over the 7 weeks, we experienced many types of accommodation, but Il Timone Lerta was by far our favourite. The reason for this is simply because we received more than just accommodation, we felt like we were staying with family.

Upon arrival we were greeted at the Fast Bar by Francesco who made us feel so welcome and assisted in lugging our suitcases up the stairs. After a very detailed introduction to the property and the area by Francesco, we met his girlfriend Frederica and his mother Augusta. These two women are amazing and run a high quality, professional, yet personalised bed and breakfast, the highlight of which is the delicious breakfast, served every morning on the terrace.

Frederica is exceptionally knowledgeable on the Cinque Terre and what is happening in each of the towns. We looked forward each morning to her weather report and suggestions for activities for the day. She really cares about her guests' experience of the region and goes out of her way to make sure you have information to make your stay even better.

And Augusta?? She was unbelievable and we nicknamed her Nonna; she speaks only Italian, but still managed through gestures and our limited Italian to make us feel like we were a member of her family. And who could forget those delicious breakfasts.. Eggs, made to order.. Warm pastries.. Sliced fresh fruits... And our favourite.. A homemade lemon and apple cake (mmmm, still dreaming of that - and we were lucky enough for her to offer the recipe for us to repeat at home).

Francesco is a very busy man, running not only the B&B but also the Fast Bar.. We had pre-dinner drinks there every night and appreciated the personal attention from Francesco. He made us feel at home. Added to that he is exceptionally kind, with a generous heart. We will not forget him.. He and his family are the Cinque Terre to us..

We stayed in the Santa Maria room, which was serviced daily, exceptionally clean and significantly better than one gets in any other similarly priced room throughout Europe. It was also a wonderful base from which to explore the Cinque Terre and beyond.

And the stairs that lots of people have commented on.. Yes, there were a lot, however a good after dinner walk is great for digestion!! At least they mean you don't have tourists wandering past the front door, it is quiet and amongst locals. And truly, we were in the Cinque Terre, so we expected hills, stairs, cliffs and amazing scenery.

Il Timone Lerta was more than accommodation, it was an experience we will talk about for years to come. We were left with only one question... When can we return?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights at Il Timone Lerta (the one up the steps) and it was even better than I expected. Walking up the stairs with 2 heavy suitcases was difficult, but it was totally worth the effort for the location. It is really peaceful and the rooftop terrace, where the breakfast is served, offers beautiful views of the village. The building has recently been renovated and the rooms are really charming with lovely furnishings. Francesco went out of his way to make sure we had a great time, and made many great recommendations for hikes and restaurants. Our first morning we had a lovely breakfast on the terrace (hands down the best breakfast we had on our trip, even with eggs made to order) and since we had to leave really early the next morning, he even gave us breakfast "to go" from the local store. I would highly recommend staying at this family run B&B for your next trip to the Cinque Terre!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed for six relaxing nights at this family run B&B. Their hospitality surpassed any other we have experienced in travelling, from offering beach towels, umbrellas, use of their laptop, free wi-fi, to bottles of limoncello and grappa to be enjoyed on the rooftop terrace at the end of the day! The staff were all very happy to engage in friendly conversation (English and Italian), offering helpful travel advice and giving us local insights into Monterosso. Nothing was a bother to them!

Yes, there are steps, but well worth the effort.

Our room was a good size, air conditioned, spotless and the linen was changed daily. The delicious breakfast was served on the rooftop terrace, overlooking the village and out to the sea.

Having visited the other four villages in Cinque Terre, we found Monterosso to be the easiest to walk around and had good choices for eating, particularly the Ristorante Belvedere on the waterfront, under the railway line.

Highly recommended and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: They run two B&Bs. Book the one with breakfast for convenience and the terrace, because you can...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Il Timone Camere? Share your experiences!