“Well, but missing the real sparks” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neusiedl am See, Austria
“Well, but missing the real sparks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very nice location, big clean dining rooms and professional stuff, these are the pluses.
The kitchen unfortunately remains far below this, with oversized portions, and lacking real interest.
Too bad...

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“one of the worst place I have ever been to”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

Just to put you in the pciture. I am Italian, actually from Udine. I was brought up believing this restaurant was the best in town. My experience was actually so awful, I would rather say it is the worst.

I went there while accompanying a group of ladies, coming from all over UK, on a tour in Friuli. We had regularly booked our table, and even called during the day in order to advice about our delay.
Upon arrival we were greeted by total indifference; we were then quite rudely asked about our reservation. Apparently the restaurant had no record of our booking; instead of apologising, they denied having received our reservation and went as far as asking "who have you talked to?", and even "are you sure you were meant to be here? this is vitello d'oro, not leon d'oro" [which is a small trattoria], suggesting we were not good enough for them. We have never been greeted by such rudeness.

We should have left; but, unwisely, decided to stay.
I had to show them my mobile with the record of our phone calls!!!!!!!!!
They prepared for us a table in a small reserved area; still with no apology whatsoever.

We weren't shown the wine list, so we were unable to check what they offered us. With the bill, we discovered that they had took us the most expensive wines - one was 90 Euro for a bottle.

The same with the food; they suggested the speciality of the day, which was fresh fish. Quite surprisingly, the fish didn't cost that much. BUT they charged us 20 Euro each for the dessert- which was ice cream!

When the bill arrived, we were all in shock. We ended up paying 90 Euro each, for no entree, a soup, a small portion of fish each, and an ice cream - really expensive wine included.

I had asked them to call us four cabs; they decided that 3 were enough for us, poor folks. The lady told me "one of you can sit on the lap of another" [and please note that all the ladies I was with were on average 68 years old.]
As a customer, you surely don't expect this in "the best restaurant in town"!

Overall, the experience was very very awful. The next morning, we went to discuss the bill and we discovered that they had overcharged us: the desserts were 10 Euro each and not 20! Had we not gone back and talked it through, we would have missed 100 Euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT GO THERE.