“A nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Trieste
Lund, Sweden
“A nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hotel Filoxenina in Trieste is a very nice, calm and relaxed place. It is very close to the central part, you can walk anywhere. The personell is extremely friendly. It is not luxury or top standard but it is good enough for a weeks stay. The breakfast did not have a very big sortiment, but the things was well chosen and it was fully acceptable. The prices are good.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms were quite equal as far as i know.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed 1 night for the Bruce Springsteen concert. Staff: extremely helpful, especially Federica who went out of her way to help us. Typical Italian air conditioning, in other words, not great but functioning. Breakfast: also typical.

We paid 100 euros on a night when there was not a room available for miles around. Seemed a totally fair price. Easy, 5 minute walk from the train station. Great location for Trieste centro storico.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Trieste
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed in a family room (4 persons). Room has Not an attraktive Atmosphäre, but was very Big and quiet. Breakfast Buffet Good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I traveled to Trieste in October and stayed three nights. The location is super - a short walk to the Adriatic, to museums, to transportation, to Piazza Unita', to Teatro Verdi! The room was comfortable and clean and quiet, even though my room faced the street. The people working at the hotel were very nice and very helpful. This is a terrific value in a very interesting city.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I stayed at the hotel a few days ago. The hotel is nice and very central. However, the most impressive thing of my stay was the hotel restaurant. In fact, I had lunch and dinner at the hotel and I have to admit that I ate even better than in Greece. The grek food in Filoxenia is delicious. Also, the cook, who apprently just joined the hotel, is very professional, great cook, devoted to his clients and carying.
I strongly recommend eating in Filoxenia!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dortmund, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2007

I stayed here with my family for two nights in early January. We usually stay at the Jolly, which is an excellent hotel, but this time we wanted to try something cheaper and closer to the shopping streets that were our destination. So we booked this only 3-star hotel right in downtown Trieste which has budget prices compared to other hotels in its vicinity. It is also the newest, located in an old building right across from the harbor and was obviously heavily renovated. We were very satisfied with the location, but the hotel left something to be desired.

First off, the elevator is so small - the three of us with little baggage could hardly fit into it, although the sign read that six people could fit in - yeah, right. There were also problems with the call button for the elevator, which took some time figuring out - you have to press it and keep holding the button until the elevator actually arrives. We were on the third floor (it's a small hotel with about 30 rooms in all) and when we exited the elevator for the first time, the stairway and corridor leading to the rooms looked and felt like some fire escape corridor, with bare walls and fixtures staring out at you. There are only three rooms per floor, two adjacent and one on the opposite side of the narrow hall. The hall is lit on sensor, meaning that there's no manual light switch, so that when you exit the elevator you have to stumble in the darkness before the light sensor is activated. This can be tricky as the floor is uneven, with one step you can easily miss in the dark.

We were in one of the two adjacent rooms, which proved to be a bit of a problem at night: not only could we hear conversations from the next room (as I imagine they could hear ours), but one night our neighbours made quite a lot of noise when they came in around midnight, banging the wall and laughing. But they quieted down after a few minutes so we didn't complain.

Our room was very small and cramped - we took a double room with extra bed overlooking the street (I think all rooms are on the street side), which is quite noisy during the day and remains so throughout the night, as there is a bus line and a bus stop right in front of the entrance to the hotel, and the bus runs during the night as well, so you can imagine the level of noise it produces.

The extra bed that I slept on was placed right along the wall separating the two adjacent rooms, and since it was so small I felt pressed against the cold wall, and I banged my elbow on the wall a hundred times turning around in bed. I don't know how our neighbours felt about that.

The furnishings were very bland and unimaginative, with a tacky picture on the wall. (The whole hotel is done on a Greek theme (hence the name) so these awful pictures on mythological themes are scattered throughout it.) The prevailing color is blue, I guess they were going for a maritime feel. They couldn't even be bothered to put carpets on the floor, not even in the bathroom. The wardrobe closet was small and precariously perched on top of a small chest drawer, so that every time I opened it I felt it might come down on top of me as it wobbled. The bathroom was surprisingly and unneccessarily big - given that the room was so cramped, but it was the only satisfactory part of the room, since it was clean and spacious.

Breakfast was exactly the same each morning with not much of a choice in food and drink - croissants, bread, butter and jam, cornflakes, yoghurt, and coffee with milk, all of which was good. The only complaint here were the unmanagable coffee and milk jugs/flasks, from which you couldn't pour liquid without getting quite a lot of it on the tray and surrounding utensils. The staff were constantly mopping the area up as nobody could avoid spilling liquid.

All in all, we didn't feel the hotel deserved all of its stars, with only the location and room prices as redeeming factors. It's ok for a very short stay and if you're travelling in two, but I wouldn't recommend it in ayn other combination.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Hotel Filoxenia? Share your experiences!