“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 49 hotels in Trieste
London
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

An exceptional hotel, occupying an old refurbished building which looks like a Grand Estate.
Very impressive building, beautifully maintained & decorated with antique furniture and flair.
It is a 4* hotel with some elements of a 5* service. Attractive room with antique furniture, flat screen TV with a number of English speaking channels, large bathroom with amenities but no bath tub, instead a power shower with plastic base.
Enjoyed our stay fully.

Room Tip: If you get a room facing the square it would be a great bonus.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I spent one night here, never ever again. I was travelling on business, but my girlfriend was with me as we'd decided to spend the weekend out there. Upon checking in, the receptionist informed me "But the reservation is for one. This is not how it is done.". I'm sorry? Aspirations to be a high end hotel and your opening gambit is to insult the customer? I've had my girlfriend join me on numerous trips around the world and stay in the room, I assume all of the bookings were for one as my secretary made them, never once has any other hotel even mentioned it, let alone made it out to be a problem.

She then went on "fortunately the room is big enough for two" (I should hope so at these prices) "I suppose it is low season....but you have only paid for one breakfast". "Fine" I said "I won't have breakfast". At this point I got the keys thrust at me (no offer to show us to the room or anything). The attempt to get drinks and food in the hotel bar later was equally awful. Three staff stood, ignoring us, in a bar with one other table. We had to repeatedly gesture to get anything, and everything took ages to arrive (think half an hour for a mozzarella and tomato salad).

Aircon in the room didn't work, the woman at reception rang up to say she'd forgotten to ask for our passports. Needless to say she didn't offer to come up and get them, so I trecked down. I couldn't bring myself to mention the aircon, by this point it was fairly obvious the staff regarded the guests as an annoying infestation. The room was tiny, and last redecorated in the 1980s.

The pool/spa complex in the basement was admittedly gorgeous, albeit the steam rooms were cold and the jacuzzi bubbles would go on for 5 minutes......then off for 5 before you could switch them back on. That was the closest it got to a redeeming feature, a visually impressive but in reality mediocre spa (as opposed to a visually impressive but in reality awful hotel).

Oh, my girlfriend said her breakfast was actively disgusting...and again took half an hour to get anyone's attention.

I just don't understand how the hotel thinks it can be this arrogant and have repeat customers. It's not the Ritz or the Waldorf Astoria, it's a collection of 15-20 tired looking rooms on the main square of a provincial city with a faded basement spa and a bar that once used to be part of the Cipriani group. Needless to say I will never return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AlexBenvenuti, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Duchi D'Aosta, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am very sorry that we have betrayed your expectations.
It is my duty to inform you that our staff members have the obligation to point out booking mistakes, with all due politeness, of course, and especially in the event that this causes a change in the agreed price. It would not be proper to change a fee without the acknowledgment of the guest. I am regretful that you have deemed our service offensive.
The fact that you expressed your disappointment with such severe words, on any aspect of our hotel, by making your first review on tripadvisor, made me think a lot . I will certainly treasure your statement on what happened.

Alex Benvenuti.
Saronno, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I just spent 2 nights and I loved , great position, suggestive environments , good services and hospitality.
Wellness area is maybe a little small and limited but I think you have to look and enjoy others emotions lodging at Duchi rather than the SPA.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Candia, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed one night in Trieste en route from Lake Como to Vienna. We enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it. Our room was tiny, but overlooked the piazza and the Adriatic. The decor feels very Old Europe to us with parquet floors and ornate furniture. Definitely not a chain hotel feeling. Breakfast at Harry's Bar was continental style like most hotels. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool looked wonderful, I wish we had gone swimming while there.

It's hard to find this hotel if you're using GPS. We ended up driving around Trieste for 45 minutes on narrow, one way streets which was very frustrating. Also parking is valet only which made us nervous but worked out fine. But once there it was quiet, stately and lovely.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

A slightly arrogant receptionist, a manic breakfast staff, and an average dinner wasn't quite enough to spoil an evening at the hotel but it came close. Maybe it is because the hotel is trying to do too much with not quite enough staff, maybe. But there were enough great points about the hotel to put it down to one of those quirk things, I think. The hotel sits in the middle of one of the most beautiful squares in the world, a throw back to the time of empire.Just sitting there on the hotel's terrace on the square made you feel as if the past was not quite another country but just back there around the corner. Ok back to functionality - the room was excellent along with the bathroom, the ac and the wifi. Mind you the shower required a science degree and a fast reaction if you accidentally pushed in the temperature adjuster. The bed was comfortable and the room silent. Breakfast despite said manic staff was fantastic and a highlight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wiener Neustadt, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had a lovely room (junior suite) booked, which was facing to the square in front of the hotel.
The hotel itselves is in a nice area, in the mittle of the city centre.
Rooms are very nice decorated with paintings and loverly tails in the bathroom.
The pool in the basement is not big but it gives you a great kick after you return after a busy day.
The room we were booked in, I guess it was #109, was facing to the square. Unfortunately there was a big noise during the night at this square and it was impossible to stay in this room.
After midnight I went down to the desk, in order to change the room.
I was lucky to find Mr.Ivo who fully understood my situation and he was trying to find us another room, facing to the backside.
He immediately gave us a another key, apologized even this was not his falt, and the new room he gave us was even larger and more beautiful than the one we stayed.
Once again, this hotel should be proud to have someone like him and I wish this guy lots of success for his future and thank you for being so attentive to us.
If I ever have the possibility to return to Trieste I will definitely stay at Duchi d´Aosta again, but not in a room which is facing to the square!!
Furthermore we had dinner with friends at the Harry´s restaurant which was excellent!!

Room Tip: Avoid a room which is facing to the square!! It is terrible noisy!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Lovely historic Hotel on the main square in Trieste, Horatio Nelson and various other notable are reckoned to have stayed here. Not cheap, especially with "essential" valet parking - but a real treat at the end of a long driving holiday. Very comfortable air conditioned room. Intermittent internet.

Very helpful and friendly staff, Superb basement Sauna, Spa and Pool...... Very enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Duchi D'Aosta? Share your experiences!