“lodging at Duchi” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Trieste
Saronno, Italy
“lodging at Duchi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I just spent 2 nights and I loved , great position, suggestive environments , good services and hospitality.
Wellness area is maybe a little small and limited but I think you have to look and enjoy others emotions lodging at Duchi rather than the SPA.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Candia, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed one night in Trieste en route from Lake Como to Vienna. We enjoyed this hotel and would recommend it. Our room was tiny, but overlooked the piazza and the Adriatic. The decor feels very Old Europe to us with parquet floors and ornate furniture. Definitely not a chain hotel feeling. Breakfast at Harry's Bar was continental style like most hotels. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool looked wonderful, I wish we had gone swimming while there.

It's hard to find this hotel if you're using GPS. We ended up driving around Trieste for 45 minutes on narrow, one way streets which was very frustrating. Also parking is valet only which made us nervous but worked out fine. But once there it was quiet, stately and lovely.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

A slightly arrogant receptionist, a manic breakfast staff, and an average dinner wasn't quite enough to spoil an evening at the hotel but it came close. Maybe it is because the hotel is trying to do too much with not quite enough staff, maybe. But there were enough great points about the hotel to put it down to one of those quirk things, I think. The hotel sits in the middle of one of the most beautiful squares in the world, a throw back to the time of empire.Just sitting there on the hotel's terrace on the square made you feel as if the past was not quite another country but just back there around the corner. Ok back to functionality - the room was excellent along with the bathroom, the ac and the wifi. Mind you the shower required a science degree and a fast reaction if you accidentally pushed in the temperature adjuster. The bed was comfortable and the room silent. Breakfast despite said manic staff was fantastic and a highlight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wiener Neustadt, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We had a lovely room (junior suite) booked, which was facing to the square in front of the hotel.
The hotel itselves is in a nice area, in the mittle of the city centre.
Rooms are very nice decorated with paintings and loverly tails in the bathroom.
The pool in the basement is not big but it gives you a great kick after you return after a busy day.
The room we were booked in, I guess it was #109, was facing to the square. Unfortunately there was a big noise during the night at this square and it was impossible to stay in this room.
After midnight I went down to the desk, in order to change the room.
I was lucky to find Mr.Ivo who fully understood my situation and he was trying to find us another room, facing to the backside.
He immediately gave us a another key, apologized even this was not his falt, and the new room he gave us was even larger and more beautiful than the one we stayed.
Once again, this hotel should be proud to have someone like him and I wish this guy lots of success for his future and thank you for being so attentive to us.
If I ever have the possibility to return to Trieste I will definitely stay at Duchi d´Aosta again, but not in a room which is facing to the square!!
Furthermore we had dinner with friends at the Harry´s restaurant which was excellent!!

Room Tip: Avoid a room which is facing to the square!! It is terrible noisy!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Lovely historic Hotel on the main square in Trieste, Horatio Nelson and various other notable are reckoned to have stayed here. Not cheap, especially with "essential" valet parking - but a real treat at the end of a long driving holiday. Very comfortable air conditioned room. Intermittent internet.

Very helpful and friendly staff, Superb basement Sauna, Spa and Pool...... Very enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed for one night in a single room. The receptionist was very good and the room fine. Linen sheets and air conditioning made for a good nights sleep. The recommendation for a restaurant for lunch was excellent and we ate the best seafood risotto I have had in a long time with an excellent local Tocai. At night I sat outside the hotel to have a coffee before going to bed. I arrived at 11.30 and waited for over 10 minutes but no staff came to take my order, although there were other customers around... so I left and went somewhere else. At breakfast I waited over 10 minutes for a member of staff to set the table, I wasn't asked whether I would like coffee, the table wasn't cleared of dirty dishes, and the service was generally very poor. So... good points and bad - would I return? Possibly. If the service was better the rating would be very good but as it is I could only give it an average.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August on a trip that included Ljubljana, Lake Bled, and finally Rovinj in Croatia. I can honestly say that the welcome we received at reception was so nice, it's amazing what a smile can do after a long journey! Throughout our stay, the ladies at reception were utterly charming and helpful. We went for a cold glass of wine on arrival and our bags were taken to our room for us. We were thrilled to discover that we had been upgraded to a beautiful room overlooking the square and a cold bottle of bubbly waiting for us, along with a very sweet note, congratulating us on our anniversary. Now, THAT'S the way to make guests feel special!! Perfectly located, this hotel is just stunning. It has been described as needing an upgrade/renovation by previous reviewers but I do not agree with this. If you like cold, minimalistic, modern buildings, this is not for you but I don't. I like old style classic grandeur and this is what you get at the Grand Hotel Duchi.
The breakfast at Harrys is fabulous! It is run really well by friendly staff who move about restocking and refilling. My hubby used the pool and enjoyed that also but I loved sitting outside, watching the world go by with a nice cold vino!
We would return to Trieste JUST to stay at this hotel, even on checkout the reception staff were as charming as when we checked in. 100% perfect!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Duchi D'Aosta? Share your experiences!