Trieste is, for many, the last stop in Italy before heading into the Balkans and central Europe. (It was for us). A lovely city, and the Victoria Hotel is worthy of this city.
The Victoria Hotel is on the main street going through the city, at the opposite end (broadly speaking) of town to the railway and bus stations. It is a beautiful old structure wedged into a smallish block. Its position on the main street makes hailing taxis a little bit awkward, so do be sure of where your taxi pick-up is (on a side corner behind the hotel).
The staff were very friendly and welcoming, assisting us through those deadly revolving doors. They also had suggestions for our regrettably-short stay in Trieste, including walks to
- the drop-dead gorgeous Piazza Unità d'Italia (made all the more beautiful by a pink sunset over the Adriatic Sea lighting up my wife’s lovely face as we sat in an outdoor café sampling gruppa provided by the café owner with our dinner)
- and to the Castle of San Giusto, scene of sobering memorials to the many fallen soldiers and resistance fighters scattered across the surrounding parklands.
The attic room on the 6th floor was very nice, and included a spa. The view looked out across the rooftops of Trieste – quite old-worldly pleasant. Internet access by cable was included in the tariff, as was a healthy breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The Hotel promotes its links with the Irish novelist James Joyce with artefacts and decoratations in rooms, but due to our brief stay we did not view these.
Sadly, our schedule did not permit a longer stay in Trieste. And one night is not long enough to enjoy this city or this establishment. We would have no hesitation in recommending the Victoria Hotel, thanks to its obliging and friendly staff, facilities and location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nel cuore di una citta da leggere, l'Hotel Victoria e stato creato per esprimere l'apprezzamento per la tradizione culturale di Trieste, con tutto il fascino, la storia e l'eleganza di una miscela mitteleuropea di 44 camere. Situato in un edificio storico - che fu la residenza del famoso scrittore irlandese James Joyce - l'Hotel Victoria e organizzato con una particolare attenzione per i dettagli. E la risposta ideale per uomini d'affari e viaggiatori che amano il comfort e un servizio di qualita. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Fastbooking, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Victoria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria Hotel Trieste