“beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel San Marino

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel San Marino to your Saves list
Grand Hotel San Marino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Antonio Onofri 31, City of San Marino 47890, San Marino   |
Norwalk
“beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We booked the luxury suite, 2 rooms with a king bed. It was our first trip abroad and I'm afraid we looked like stupid americans. We could not figure out the thermostat. We were so warm the first night, we slept at the foot of the bed so we'd have some breeze from the window.
The confused maid spoke through an interpreter to see if she should continue to make the bed upside down. How embarassing! The cord in the shower that the US uses as a clothes line, was their ALARM. Whoops! The restaurant in the hotel was good as well but what food in Italy is bad??

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dalarna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We really liked this hotel in San Marino. Spacious rooms, Rich breakfast for being in Italy. The receptionists were very friendly and let us call for free to our Rental Car Dealer, as we had some problems with the car. No hotel parking, but plenty of space in the nearby City parking lots.
Great view from the hotel and street in front.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Wow, wonderful location and even better if you manage to get or book a room with a balcony overlooking the valley at the front....Fantastic views from the front of the hotel as well as when you get out to walk....Friendly efficient staff on arrival, more then helpful with requests for codes to access the internet and request for two more pillows.....dont be afraid to ask...Down side for us was that we were allocated a ''back room'' 125... and the view was of the fortress wall and a foot path that passed right outside our window...did feel somewhat claustraphobic, so kept the curtain sclosed the whole time we were there....we did ask for another room , but informed they couldn't move us as they were full.....however they did reallocate a single lady, who felt too vulnerable next door to us.... so if you travel independanlty of a tour, request rooms overlooking the front of the hotel......especially if you are staying more then one night.....However the room was well equiped and very clean and even had tissues in the bathroom....bed very comfy with memory foam mattress....Shame no tea/coffee facilities available in room.....Dining room next to the bar well presented, passing through the bar area first, space to sit and enjoy a leisurely cocktail or beer..... Dinner was nothing special, only entertainment was by the abnoxious head waiter, who showed his arrogance over a glass of wine given to a fellow traveller....he put ice in without asking.....Staff were almost too effiecient and quick to the point they ''hit'' a few guests on the heads whilst collecting/delivering dinner plates....Breakfast buffet was varied/usual continental type foods, but no fresh fruit....

Room Tip: If you book this hotel....request front bedroom with a balcony, stunning views and you get the sun...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had one night in San Marino, and chose this hotel (there's not a great deal of choice in the old city) partly based on the price for a **** hotel. It was relatively easy to find, although the maps from the tourist information didn't detail the windy streets very well, and a good location if you're arriving, like me, by bus from Rimini.

The staff were very attentive and helpful. The room was fine but at the back of the hotel so the room opened out onto an unadorned concrete terrace, and it looked as if I could walk along this to lateral rooms, though I didn't try. The rooms on the other side would have an amazing view down the mountain but I'm sure at quite a price premium. The room had quite a 'corporate' feel to the decor.

While perfectly reasonable, I struggled to see how it achieved a four star rating as there was a lack of facilities on site (pool, gym, etc.). Still, a good choice for a short layover in San Marino at a 3 star price for what should be a 3 star hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I left Malta early this morning and arrived at San Marino via Rome this evening. I took a ropeway (Funivia) and walked from San Marino Funivia station to the hotel. This way is down slope and easy to walk. I checked a map near the hotel, but I couldn't find it. I asked a man and he answered it's 100m ahead, but I couldn't find and passed by. I asked another man and he conducted me to the hotel. I found the reason why. The outside wall of the hotel was under repair and covered with clothes for works. I couln't see outside fine view from the room because of the clothes. I took dinner at the restaurant of the hotel. Breakfast was included and around eight o'clock, I came in the restaurant, but there was no staff. It was a buffet style and a couple was taking breakfast. I tryed to find glasses for juice, milk and water, but no glasses. I found a little bit big cups and I took them. A waiter came and told me that these cups were not for breakfast. I should use a coffee cup. I couldn't help it without any glasses/cups. He was young and the waiter who served dinner. How unskilled and rude he was! Almost I was finnishing, he began to place glasses.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Very good room and facility, right in the heart of the old city. Fantastic views for sunset. The Staff are amazing and top notch! From the consierge to the hotel restaurant, they were very helpful for family with young children! Great value and easily on our list for a return trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Arad, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I needed one night stop in San Marino because it was a transition stop for me on my way back home.I was looking for a good price,good location and parking place.I have to admit I've achieved all my goals...even more.
1. A very nice 4* hotel with spacious and clean room, a friendly stuff, a beauty and spa saloon, a rich and tasty breakfast and free internet access in my room...all at a good(fair) price per night.
2. Excellent location...closest hotel to the old town with car access...max.50 meters from the main entry gate into town.
3. Parking in San Marino could be a problem...this hotel has a private parking place (I believe is underground) at 16 euro/day and also just in front of the hotel are the public parking places along the road, at 4 Euro /day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hotel San Marino? Share your experiences!