“Don't rely on the air conditioning” 2 of 5 stars

Argentario N.I. Hotels
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Di Roma 45, 48100 Ravenna, Italy   |
Ranked #32 of 37 hotels in Ravenna
Victoria
“Don't rely on the air conditioning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I have just returned from a week long stay in Ravenna and chose this hotel because of its high recommendation on TripAdvisor. I knew it would be hot in July and chose a hotel that had air conditioning. The price of the hotel was excellent, the breakfast very good. The problem was daily power failures and broken air conditioners. The weather the week I was there (July 11 - 18) was very hot and humid. The A/C was broken most of the time. One night I had to wet a towel, stick it in the bar fridge to get it cold and cool myself down every 15 minutes. Everyone was complaining to the staff. Even when the A/C was working one could barely feel any cool air coming out of it. One man chose to sleep in the hotel lobby, barely dressed, because it was the coolest place to be.

I would not recommend this hotel, even though the price is good, to anyone visiting Ravenna in the summer. I chose a different hotel for my last night because of the continued problem at the Argentario. It really needs to update it's A/C system to make guests comfortable in July and August.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

We paid only $67.47 (that's USD, not euro) for a room in late May, so it was a relief to find this hotel to be so well located to both the train station and the wonderful mosaics of Ravenna. The room was large by European standards, and the bathroom was roomy with a great shower. It's an easy walk to a grocery store and places to eat, too.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

The hotel is just on the edge of the tourist area. I was happy with the location. The room cost 80 euro for Saturday night and 60 euro for the next two nights. Our room was up under the eves with a very small window and done (and over done) in knotty pine (walls, ceiling). The staff was friendly and offered suggestions on dining when asked. The hotel seemed popular with groups of young adults, I had no problem with them.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I would easily say that this hotel is a hidden gem in Ravenna, for its great relation quality-price offered.

The rooms are quite spacious, the location is quiet but located in one of the main streets (Via Roma), where several attractions are situated.

On top of that the breakfast selection was good and the staff very nice and friendly.

We paid 55€ per night and conisder the hotel hada very fair price for it's services!

Ravenna is a wonderful nice town with a nice architecture, beautiful mosaics to be seen and all within walking distance (exception is St. Apollinare in Classe- 7 km away) and if you have time don't miss the nice beach side of Lido di Dante or Lido di Adriano.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Hudson, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

The Argentario has friendly staff and a good location. Add to that they have a wonderful breakfast buffet, spotless rooms, and plenty of hot water and clean linens. And that's where it all ends.

During our three day stay, there was a high school group there that made so much noise at night that sleep was impossible. Complaints to the night manager, the group's leaders, and their teachers all fell on deaf ears. The noise was made much worse our second night when a number of the girls came in quite inebriated and started playing loud music and yelling to one another from 12:30 until after 1:00 AM. The management was totally unable to quiet them down and did nothing to hold their leaders responsible. Things got so bad our second night that I had to scream at the kids myself to get them to quiet down. Even then the traffic to and from the room across the hall from ours was so noisy that we got no sleep at all until three AM. One of the teachers involved even had the audacity to tell me the next morning that she personally went out for a few drinks with the students and they were not drunk at all!

For the first two days I tried to reach the hotel manager and was told, every time I asked, that he was out of town and could not be contacted. On our last day there I again asked to see the manager and was told he was not in. Oddly, he must have been contacted by someone on staff long enough to tell them to give us a significant discount on our way out the door. Sad compensation after losing most of two nights sleep.

This hotel regularly caters to school groups from England and elsewhere. It appears that the money they make from that outweighs the damage the groups do to the other visitors at the hotel. My wife and I have traveled in Italy for a few weeks every year for the past seventeen years. Never have we been so badly treated by fellow travelers, travel agents, and a hotel manager who sat idly by, let this happen, and then denied it all.
If you'll be in Ravenna, find another place to stay. A lost nights sleep in this beautiful town is too high a price to pay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

I took four of my art students to Ravenna for a mosaic workshop in the summer of 2003. We stayed at the Argentario where we were treated with much graciousness. The hotel staff were very accomodating with working things out to get us an extra room, feeding us breakfast while we waited for the rooms even though it was long past morning, letting us practice our poor italian with them and finding train schedules and providing us print outs. The rooms were large by Italian standards, quiet and very, very clean. I felt very relaxed during my visit. Breakfasts include a bit more than the standard fare. The location is superb. All of us enjoyed our stay there and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2003
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2005

Stayed in Ravenna for two nights. The hotel room was one of the largest I've seen in Europe (and all my own). Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Staff was nice and helpful.

Breakfast was okay.

Only complaint was a hint of cigarette smoke in my room, but hey, this is Italy.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Argentario N.I. Hotels? Share your experiences!