“I vote PARMA, go Parma!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Savoy Hotel

You added Savoy Hotel to your Saves list
Savoy Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Giuseppe Garibaldi, 69 | Strada XX Settembre, 3, 43100 Parma, Italy   |
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Parma
Sydney
“I vote PARMA, go Parma!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed in room 305 for 4 nights 30/12/12 to 3/1/13 at EUR80/night single incl breakfast booked on Booking.com. Nicely renovated, modern hotel - minimalist style with lots of tiles and white furniture. Slippers provided for winter on tiles (good idea). I was never cold and heating worked extremely well. The room design works well. Lots of space on the bathroom window sill and in shower for bathroom products (girls need this ha ha). Lots of extra benchspace running under the window to do work. Minibar available with reasonable prices. The windows are double glazed and then there are shutters you can close as well, so it was quiet and dark when I needed it to be. Good standard continental breakfast - rolls, cheese, meat, yoghurt, cereals, pastries, fruit. 5 mins walk to the train station and not much longer to walk down Via Garibaldi to the Duomo, Baptistry & centre of town.

I loved Parma! What a elegant, sophisticated town. Everything is well looked after. The train station is being totally refurbished and will be great when it's finished. It is the only place in Italy where you can find "We're Here to Help You" guys who carry your large bags up and down the stairs while the train station renovation is underway. Love it! I had great fun watching the 2Fs in winter - fur coats and Ferraris ... lots of fabulous upmarket wine bars (that start drinking REALLY early - sambucca and prosecco at 11.30am - but maybe that was New Years Eve ha ha), restaurants and shops. Naturally, it is culatello, prosciutto, parmegiano and 25yo balsamic heaven - but not only that, so many lush pastry shops. This is definitely one of the last Italian secret destinations - and not at all overrun with tourists. I can't wait to go back in summer - it would be even better with lots of outdoor bars.

I also had a fabulous dinner at Ristorante La Forchetta (Borgo San Biagio 6/D), just behind the Baptistry - I well recommend to you - the other favourites, La Greppia and Leon D'Oro were closed over Christmas/New Year. The Duchessa Parma with ham, cheese and marsala sauce with baked potoatoes was just perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Savoy Hotel was a short, comfortable walk from the train station, even with luggage. It's right on the corner close to restaurants and stores. The room was well-appointed, modern, clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast was outstanding with meats, cheeses, fresh fruits, cereals, juices, coffee, tea and a wide variety of breads/buns. We especially loved the location for doing sightseeing, like walking to the Citadella and Ducale Park. We would definitely stay at the Savoy again when we return to Parma.

Room Tip: We had a room close to the corner and it likely would have been noisy in the summer with the windows...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Good location, good bed, great shower, no bar or restaurant but plenty options close by (recommend Restautante Duchessa). Many thanks to Aldo at reception who was helpful above and beyond the call of duty.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for one day only. The room was very small and noisy, facing the street, although tidy. The bathroom was also small. Reception recommended a restaurant, Corrieri, that had a terrible service. The hotel looks and feel like a hospital. Although the location is excellent, only 10 minutes walk to main sites, I would not stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed here just one night. We got a nice price from sunday to monday, directly booked from the hotel.("stay in Parma on a sunday") The hotel is fresh and seems quite new. Enough space in the room. Good location, 10 min to walk to the city center. You have to park the car in the street with a hotelpermission, but that worked out fine. Else Parma seemed like a very nice town, and we like to come back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Montagnola, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. I was in Parma for three nights and had a single. It was very modern and everything seemed pretty new. The bed was comfortable. I also enjoyed the free internet and breakfast. Breakfast was typical European. Nothing special, but satisfying.
I was also glad for the air conditioning.
The hotel is in a great location. It's close to the train station and everything is within walking distance. I will stay here again when I come to Parma.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed at the Savoy in March 2012 on a short 4 day trip to Parma and surrounding area with my brother. This was the perfect time to visit; we enjoyed a relaxed Parma, with cool days and evenings. I have been in Italy in the summer and would highly recommend March and April over it. All of the plants were blooming and we didn’t have any crowds in Parma.

Our room had a king bed and a small single bed in the corner. The room we had was small and very "simply" decorated, it was very modern and everything worked well, except for the safe which was then fixed within some hours of our arrival. There was a little fridge in the room, just large enough to stuff with all our Parma goodies to take home or to friends and family in Switzerland. (see picture :) lol) The location was great, once we had our car parked (we drove from Switzerland) we didn't need it at all for any Parma sightseeing, everything was walking distance. The noise level was good, once we closed the windows the street noise below was not a problem at all, the AC worked great, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The Breakfast which was included in our room price was good: cereals, pastries, fruits, and yogurts, juices, coffee and tea. The perfect breakfast for a quick start in the morning so you can head out and start your day.

NOTE: right across the street is a wonderful shop that has a great selection of Parmiggiano Reggiano and Prosciutto and other delicious food options. Worth a look :)

In regards to PARKING: They have the option for you to park in a garage nearby or to give you a pass to park on the streets surrounding the hotel. We chose the parking garage, it is nearby, clean and there was always a spot. Be sure to only park on the spots the concierge tells you to (blue I think) the others are reserved. No, we didn’t make that mistake but just wanted to give you a heads up.

FOOD: Just so you are aware, Parma doesn’t start dinner until 7:30 some restaurants open at 8pm. This was a surprise to us when we headed to dinner at 6:30.
I would highly recommend these two restaurants both a comfortable walk from hotel.
‘La Greppia’: Literally 2 minute walk from hotel a left on Giuseppe Garibaldi. Check out my full review for more info and pictures.
‘Osteria Della Gatta Matta’: A little further walk but also really close about 5 minutes. Check out my full review for more info and pictures.

ACTIVITIES:
We did a “food tour” with Parma Golosa. See full review for further info.
We drove to Mantova (a.k.a Mantua) a beautiful little city about an hour’s drive from Parma. If you drive it, take the non-highway route at least one way, it takes you through the countryside which is charming. Mantova is a nice little stop, we then drove on to Verona which requires more time and is just beautiful. Do leave very early if you are planning on doing both, I would start in Verona and then see Mantua/Mantova on my way back. See reviews for Mantua/Manotva and Verona for more tips and info.
Happy Travels.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!